Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Bank

tag
difringe
Established Contributor

Chase Bank

Got a dumb question...has anyone joined Chase as a credit card user, without a checking/savings account, then got a checking/savings account with Chase and experienced any sort of benefit as a card user? Like easier CLI, lower APRs, etc.?  I would imagine they'd want you to use as many of their products as possible, so they'd entice you, but wasn't sure. Thanks!

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Bank

@difringe wrote:

Got a dumb question...has anyone joined Chase as a credit card user, without a checking/savings account, then got a checking/savings account with Chase and experienced any sort of benefit as a card user? Like easier CLI, lower APRs, etc.?  I would imagine they'd want you to use as many of their products as possible, so they'd entice you, but wasn't sure. Thanks!

I can't attest to getting any perks other than what the card offers, but I was not a Chase customer prior to applying for the CSR in August, 2018.  I was approved, although have not received a CLI yet to date and the CSR is my only card currently with Chase.

Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can join Chase without having a checking and savings account.  Chase is very stingy in reducing APRs so remove that thought out of your head Smiley Happy.  However, having a relationship is good and as you build your profile, they will send offers.

For example, I have been with Chase for a long time and got an offer a couple of times become a Private Client by bringing $50k new money which usually is 250k.  So there a perks to the relationship once you keep a good profile.

Message 3 of 26
difringe
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can join Chase without having a checking and savings account.  Chase is very stingy in reducing APRs so remove that thought out of your head Smiley Happy.  However, having a relationship is good and as you build your profile, they will send offers.

For example, I have been with Chase for a long time and got an offer a couple of times become a Private Client by bringing $50k new money which usually is 250k.  So there a perks to the relationship once you keep a good profile.

I see...I've been looking at their cards and don't care much for any of them at the moment (outside of the Amazon card I have), but I have heard Chase is one of the higher-regarded credit card companies, so I figured opening a checking account with them couldn't hurt. They have new account offers and such too, so I figure why not, you know?

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@difringe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I see...I've been looking at their cards and don't care much for any of them at the moment (outside of the Amazon card I have), but I have heard Chase is one of the higher-regarded credit card companies, so I figured opening a checking account with them couldn't hurt. They have new account offers and such too, so I figure why not, you know?

Do it.  It will be worth it as long as you are disciplined and don't go overboard.

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You aren't kidding.

I have made several unsuccessful attempts to lower my APR with Chase.  The last time after asking for a supervisor, I asked him "If I were to submit to HPs for a CLI, could I also be considered for a reduction off my APR?"  No.  

I noted my long history with Chase and understand a long time ago that I was probably barely approved.  I told him that even though I PIF, just having that APR really bothers me.  The lack of any increases of my CL really bothers me.  

His response "Chase does account reviews and if you qualify for an APR reduction then we will notify you"

I chuckled when I responded "Well that may be the proper and official Chase response but I have never had any creditor call me voluntarily and say hey great news, we have decided to lower your APR"

He has been with Chase for 8 years and he recalled 1 time where that actually happened.  Jokingly again I said "No doubt that person probably happened to deposit 500k in their checking account that morning.

So there you have it.

Even though I did not end up submitting to the HPs, I thought the guy I talked to was really cool.  I just have to keep calling and maybe get the right person on the right day.  My current APR is 25.24%

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You aren't kidding.

I have made several unsuccessful attempts to lower my APR with Chase.  The last time after asking for a supervisor, I asked him "If I were to submit to HPs for a CLI, could I also be considered for a reduction off my APR?"  No.  

I noted my long history with Chase and understand a long time ago that I was probably barely approved.  I told him that even though I PIF, just having that APR really bothers me.  The lack of any increases of my CL really bothers me.  

His response "Chase does account reviews and if you qualify for an APR reduction then we will notify you"

I chuckled when I responded "Well that may be the proper and official Chase response but I have never had any creditor call me voluntarily and say hey great news, we have decided to lower your APR"

He has been with Chase for 8 years and he recalled 1 time where that actually happened.  Jokingly again I said "No doubt that person probably happened to deposit 500k in their checking account that morning.

So there you have it.

Even though I did not end up submitting to the HPs, I thought the guy I talked to was really cool.  I just have to keep calling and maybe get the right person on the right day.  My current APR is 25.24%

@Anonymous

I am there with you.  Tried several times with no results but I am overall happy with them so letting it go. I think the APR is their goldmine when it comes to people who carry balances.

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You aren't kidding.

So there you have it.

Your posting was most informative! Many questions that I have wondered on and never got answers too are now satisfied (became a Chase cardholder when they bought out several banks around 2006). Likely about all a person can do is apply for a new card and hope it reflects the best rates and possibly rearrange credit limits and close an unwanted account. In truth, that may not yield a card a person wants? Thanks!

Message 8 of 26
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

I always PIF as well, so I don't really pay attention to their relatively high APR's. Though I think I have 2 that are 17 or 18% which I feel is low for Chase. At the same time, their CL's are tied to your income. If I really wanted a higher limit, it's probably just easier to move credit around or even apply for a new card. 

[2/2019]
Message 9 of 26
difringe
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You aren't kidding.

So there you have it.

Really appreciate these responses; like you, I'm more of a PIF kind of guy, so the APR was more an example of a perk than a specific desire...kinda disappointing to see that they don't really give you an incentive to do more with them than use their credit cards. Guess that's what happens when you're already at or near the top, you really only care about higher-end clients. Once I've cycled through a few months of using this Amazon card, I might go for the Freedom, but honestly I'll probably just end up looking elsewhere for a card without an AF that combines the perks/incentives that I value the most with a propensity for giving decent CLs and CLIs

Edit: Freaking hilarious that even with scores of over 800, they wouldn't budge on the APR, it's like gimme a break lol

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.