Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Branch vs. Cold Apps

tag
LilNYC
New Contributor

Chase Branch vs. Cold Apps

On Sunday I applied for the CSP thru the Chase website & received a msg that they needed to talk to me before reaching a decision. I called the # they gave me & the underwriter said that my Freedom card was over the limit & that's why I was asked to call in. (On my credit report my Freedom card was at 40% util. however.) I explained the situation to him & told him that I made a payment on the card but it didn't post yet. He put me on hold for a few minutes, came back & said that unfortunately he can't approve me b/c the CSP has a $5k limit. He said everything in my report looks good, I have a bunch of high limit CC's & always pay on time but that my high util. on the Freedom card is the only thing preventing him from approving me. He suggested that I make a large payment twds my Freedom card within the next 30 days, & to call & ask for a recon once the payment posts. They would use the same report as long as it's within 30 days.

I went to my local Chase branch today to make a large payment on my Freedom with the intention of calling to recon right after. While the banker was processing my payment he said "you're preapproved for the CSP, would you like me to process your app?" I told him my whole story & he said pre-approvals in the branch work diff. than cold apps, they're based on my relationship w/ Chase & they already pulled my report & saw that I qualified. He assured me that if he submitted the app for me it wouldn't show up on my credit report as a 2nd hit. Plus, the spending requ for the 40,000 points was only $2k instead of $3k. I told him ok. He asked me my work phone #, home phone #, mother's maiden name, & gross annual income. Bam, approved for $7,500!!! Before he submitted the app he showed me that I was pre-qualified for the Slate, CSP, & United Plus & said I could apply for 1 out of 3 & would get approved. Weird, b/c everytime I check the chase website for pre-approved offers it says they don't have any offers for me. 

I would urge anyone interested in a Chase cc to go to your local branch to find out if you're pre-approved. It made the diff. of being approved or denied for me. Def. glad I opened a Chase checking acct a few months ago. 

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Branch vs. Cold Apps

Very interesting, thanks for posting!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 2 of 6
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@LilNYC wrote:

On Sunday I applied for the CSP thru the Chase website & received a msg that they needed to talk to me before reaching a decision. I called the # they gave me & the underwriter said that my Freedom card was over the limit & that's why I was asked to call in. (On my credit report my Freedom card was at 40% util. however.) I explained the situation to him & told him that I made a payment on the card but it didn't post yet. He put me on hold for a few minutes, came back & said that unfortunately he can't approve me b/c the CSP has a $5k limit. He said everything in my report looks good, I have a bunch of high limit CC's & always pay on time but that my high util. on the Freedom card is the only thing preventing him from approving me. He suggested that I make a large payment twds my Freedom card within the next 30 days, & to call & ask for a recon once the payment posts. They would use the same report as long as it's within 30 days.

I went to my local Chase branch today to make a large payment on my Freedom with the intention of calling to recon right after. While the banker was processing my payment he said "you're preapproved for the CSP, would you like me to process your app?" I told him my whole story & he said pre-approvals in the branch work diff. than cold apps, they're based on my relationship w/ Chase & they already pulled my report & saw that I qualified. He assured me that if he submitted the app for me it wouldn't show up on my credit report as a 2nd hit. Plus, the spending requ for the 40,000 points was only $2k instead of $3k. I told him ok. He asked me my work phone #, home phone #, mother's maiden name, & gross annual income. Bam, approved for $7,500!!! Before he submitted the app he showed me that I was pre-qualified for the Slate, CSP, & United Plus & said I could apply for 1 out of 3 & would get approved. Weird, b/c everytime I check the chase website for pre-approved offers it says they don't have any offers for me. 

I would urge anyone interested in a Chase cc to go to your local branch to find out if you're pre-approved. It made the diff. of being approved or denied for me. Def. glad I opened a Chase checking acct a few months ago. 

Wow seriously? Now i'm gonna go into the branch more and make some payment lol.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 3 of 6
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Have you checked your reports to find out if an additional pull was truly not needed? I'm suspicious. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 4 of 6
LilNYC
New Contributor

I have credit secure from Amex & the alerts have a bit of a lag time. I'll update as soon as I know. I'm curios as well. If I have 2 inquiries, I'm gonna call the Chase Exec office & raise hell. 

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 5 of 6
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@LilNYC wrote:

I have credit secure from Amex & the alerts have a bit of a lag time. I'll update as soon as I know. I'm curios as well. If I have 2 inquiries, I'm gonna call the Chase Exec office & raise hell. 

That explains why I only have one HP after applying for both Ink Bold and Sapphire preferred within a couple days of each other. Cool, thank for spilling the beans. That will come in handy. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.