Chase CFU Offer - $200 SUB for $500 spend

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase CFU Offer - $200 SUB for $500 spend

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:
I logged in to pay my mortgage payment today and I saw a red flag in my message for an prequalified offer for the CFU. The exact verbiage is “Your Offer” “Just for you - Browse offers for you based your relationship with Chase”.
I’ve had my Mortgage with them for almost 18 years, and until the last few years I’ve never had a credit cards.

The thing is I’m at 5/24 (As I understand it - that is the amount of revolving accounts opened in 24 months correct?) I will be 7/24 when AMEX and PNC starts reporting.
Is this a solid offer actually “just for me” or is it just marketing?

Also, I’d like to get in with Chase because they are known as a top tier card company, but I really have no need for the CFU. I’d never use it. However, the Chase Freedom is a goal card of mine. Are Chase’s cards able to be PC’d? Would it be worth calling and talking to a CSR about getting the Freedom instead?
I’ve been fully intending to stay in the garden for the most of this upcoming year, but I won’t lie, a rock solid offer to get the Freedom card could talk me out of it!

If you have a Local Chase branch near you, I would go in and speak to a personal banker.

In branch approvals are about the best you can get!

Also keep in Mind you can PC the FU to the Freedom after 1 year.

Good point.. A face to face app will allow Chase to bend on the 5/24? Face to face is almost always better in any relationship. Back in the day, people wore a suit and tie to the bank when applying for a loan. Might want to get that suit out of the closet and dry cleaned. Just kidding.

Face to face could be the ticket.

Its not about meeting face to face with a personal banker.  More importantly, the personal banker can look up your internal account information and inform you if you have "in-branch pre-approvals" for credit products that may not show up in your online account.  Those "in-branch pre-approvals" usually override the 5/24 rule whereas the usual online offers for credit cards might not.

Message 11 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:
I logged in to pay my mortgage payment today and I saw a red flag in my message for an prequalified offer for the CFU. The exact verbiage is “Your Offer” “Just for you - Browse offers for you based your relationship with Chase”.
I’ve had my Mortgage with them for almost 18 years, and until the last few years I’ve never had a credit cards.

The thing is I’m at 5/24 (As I understand it - that is the amount of revolving accounts opened in 24 months correct?) I will be 7/24 when AMEX and PNC starts reporting.

Also, I’d like to get in with Chase because they are known as a top tier card company, but I really have no need for the CFU. I’d never use it. However, the Chase Freedom is a goal card of mine. Are Chase’s cards able to be PC’d? Would it be worth calling and talking to a CSR about getting the Freedom instead?
I’ve been fully intending to stay in the garden for the most of this upcoming year, but I won’t lie, a rock solid offer to get the Freedom card could talk me out of it!

If you have a Local Chase branch near you, I would go in and speak to a personal banker.

Good point.. A face to face app will allow Chase to bend on the 5/24? Face to face is almost always better in any relationship. Back in the day, people wore a suit and tie to the bank when applying for a loan. Might want to get that suit out of the closet and dry cleaned. Just kidding.

Its not about meeting face to face with a personal banker.  More importantly, the personal banker can look up your internal account information and inform you if you have "in-branch pre-approvals" for credit products that may not show up in your online account.  Those "in-branch pre-approvals" usually override the 5/24 rule whereas the usual online offers for credit cards might not.

That opens up the possibility that those in-branch pre-approvals can be based on in-person impressions. They size you up, and then get back to you with what's available. In person impressions have an impact on so much in life, including whether or not someone gets approval for a loan. Of course credit history, etc counts for a ton, but going to a branch counts for something, including what kind of impression you make.

I wonder what would happen if you apply for a card in person, but act in a very bizarre manner, at 5/24 or 0/24.

Message 12 of 25
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:

IMHO, dont let a rock solid offer for a card you're not interested in or wouldnt use thwart your gardening goal. Just my 2cents. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same "approved" offer for CFU. $11000 limit and $200 bonus after spending $500 in 3 months.

I already have CITI DC for 2%, so the CFU is useless to me.

$200 for a double hard pull is not worth it to me at this stage (i.e., happily retired) of my life. After the bonus, at the end of the day, I would be stuck with a 1.5% CB card which would never get used as long as I have CITI DC.

My two cents !! Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

That opens up the possibility that those in-branch pre-approvals can be based on in-person impressions. They size you up, and then get back to you with what's available. In person impressions have an impact on so much in life, including whether or not someone gets approval for a loan. Of course credit history, etc counts for a ton, but going to a branch counts for something, including what kind of impression you make.

I wonder what would happen if you apply for a card in person, but act in a very bizarre manner, at 5/24 or 0/24.

I'm not sure where your ideas are coming from but they are definitely not how the process works.  The decisions are all driven by Chase's algorithms; the personal banker's opinion or impression does not factor in (not to mention that profiling is illegal under Equal Credit Opportunity Act).  Those algorithms look at your activity as a retail banking customer and decide based on that history and your internal Chase risk score (CARS v2), whether you're offered credit products.  When you go to the bank, the banker will usually turn their computer screen around and show you the listing of in-branch pre-approvals. These approvals may sometimes coincide with those pre-approvals in your online account, mobile app, or Chase Credit Journey but sometimes they do not which is why its recommended to check in-branch. 

So frequency of deposits,  amount/size of deposits, a preliminary screen (soft pull) of your credit history, etc. are significant factors.  Its the possibility that you're potentially a profitable customer that causes Chase to override the limitation of the 5/24 rule.

Message 15 of 25
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I agree - I won’t take the CFU, but I do want the Freedom, and I’d pull the trigger on it if the offer is solid.
That said, I’m probably just going to pass for now.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I've pc'd from CF to CFU and went back. CF is much better!

Did the exact same thing. Too many other cards with 2% or better so no need for 1.5%. Chase keeps offering me incentives but not biting Smiley Sad

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

I'm not sure where your ideas are coming from but they are definitely not how the process works.  The decisions are all driven by Chase's algorithms; the personal banker's opinion or impression does not factor in (not to mention that profiling is illegal under Equal Credit Opportunity Act).  Those algorithms look at your activity as a retail banking customer and decide based on that history and your internal Chase risk score (CARS v2), whether you're offered credit products.  When you go to the bank, the banker will usually turn their computer screen around and show you the listing of in-branch pre-approvals. These approvals may sometimes coincide with those pre-approvals in your online account, mobile app, or Chase Credit Journey but sometimes they do not which is why its recommended to check in-branch. 

So frequency of deposits,  amount/size of deposits, a preliminary screen (soft pull) of your credit history, etc. are significant factors.  Its the possibility that you're potentially a profitable customer that causes Chase to override the limitation of the 5/24 rule.

Ok, so you are saying there is no point in going to the branch to apply for a card or a loan. It's all algorithms. The same applies to job interviews and dating meetups. No one wants to be accused of profiling, the algorithms are all we need in 2020, so refuse to show up in person. Relationship banking is dead in 2020.

I wish life were that simple, but that's  not the way life works even in 2020. There were numerous times where I could not get something done with a bank or other business online or even over the phone that I could get accomplished IN PERSON. Human nature hasn't changed, even with algorithms. As I stated previously, credit history of course weighs in a ton in the decision for credit card approval or loans.

You haven't sufficienly explained why 5/24 is mostly dead when you show up in person. The algorithm should override that.

OP might want to know that, because maybe visiting a branch to ask if the CFU offer could be applied to the CF card, the one OP really wants. Or if its definitely dead in the water due to algorithm restrictions.

Message 18 of 25
Gmood1
Super Contributor

The way I look at times, they probably wouldn't let me in the bank to apply for a loan. 😂
Dating and applying for credit are totally two different things.

I'd rather let my credit profile do the talking than a suit. I don't even own one.😉
The computer doesn't have feelings or show favoritism. It only sees zeros and ones.
Either approve me or deny me. In the end, I'll still get what I want. Either from that bank or another.
I've seen many times members way pass the 5/24 be approved.
Especially with those in-branch offers.
Even if they wore a robe with slippers or a muumuu in the bank.😂They'd still be judged on their credit file.
And be approved for the loan, if their credit file met the requirements.
I've never stepped one foot in any bank for any of the loans, credit lines I currently have.

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:
The way I look at times, they probably wouldn't let me in the bank to apply for a loan. 😂
Dating and applying for credit are totally two different things.

I'd rather let my credit profile do the talking than a suit. I don't even own one.😉
The computer doesn't have feelings or show favoritism. It only sees zeros and ones.
Either approve me or deny me. In the end, I'll still get what I want. Either from that bank or another.
I've seen many times members way pass the 5/24 be approved.
Especially with those in-branch offers.
Even if they wore a moo moo in bank.😂They'd still be judged on their credit file.
And be approved for the loan.
I've never stepped one foot in any bank for any of the loans, credit lines I currently have.

Of course your credit profile is the driver. Walking into a Chase branch in a suit with a BK on your credit report won't get you a credit card. They do bend some things like 5/24, or other things, in person. 

The point of the dating analogy is that you make a different impression on someone in person than online or on the phone. And things that they allow leeway with could make a difference by showing up in person.

I've alway gotten better service in person than online, at least with the banks that are in my region.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.