Chase CLD on all cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase CLD on all cards

@yfan wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@yfan wrote:

why is someone with such high income carrying $40,000 in credit card debt? Under normal circumstances, someone making a quarter million dollars a year shouldn't have any trouble paying off their credit cards.

I hate to keep using the word, but it's relative.  I'll be happy to get down to $40k about 2 years from now and I'm just under that for income.  Cost of living can differ drastically from region to region, and that doesn't just mean housing.

I live in Silicon Valley on a modest, non-tech income, so I know all about cost of living. I seriously doubt this is about the actual reasonable cost of living in a given locale and suspect that it is much more about lifestyle choices. That is not to say one shouldn't have a choice on how to live their life, and as OP said, he's a single, 30-year old guy who goes through periods of intense spending and saving. Without passing judgment on personal choices, this is enough to reasonably raise their risk profile for a bank, especially for someone who has had a relatively short credit history (again, as OP admits). The point I'm trying to make isn't that OP can't do what he wants with his money, it is that the response from Chase is not an unreasonable one.

I know...carying that much sounds crazy.  I feel weird talking about finances to other people, and absolutely need to curb spending.  I'll impulst buy something for 10k and shrug it off becuase I figure I could have it paid off in a month or two.   I don't always make the right financial decisions, and I"m sure lots of us on this board don't.  For example, with that 40k in credit card debt, I bought a corvette for cash last week.

As someone else posted, I could absolutely lose my job tomororow.  That being said, I work in consulting, in an extremely hot area right now.  If I thought for a second that my job was in jeopardy, or I couldn't get a new job very quickly, I'd pay everything off immediately.  I know, not responsible, and living on the edge.  Part of my problem is that my income doubled 2 years ago, and probably haven't been as responsible as I shoudl have been.

Maybe Chase doing this is a good thing.  Forces me to quickly pay those cards off to avoid a high ute, and opens the door for me to start a relationship with another financial provider.

Message 31 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@yfan wrote:

why is someone with such high income carrying $40,000 in credit card debt? Under normal circumstances, someone making a quarter million dollars a year shouldn't have any trouble paying off their credit cards.

I hate to keep using the word, but it's relative.  I'll be happy to get down to $40k about 2 years from now and I'm just under that for income.  Cost of living can differ drastically from region to region, and that doesn't just mean housing.

I live in Silicon Valley on a modest, non-tech income, so I know all about cost of living. I seriously doubt this is about the actual reasonable cost of living in a given locale and suspect that it is much more about lifestyle choices. That is not to say one shouldn't have a choice on how to live their life, and as OP said, he's a single, 30-year old guy who goes through periods of intense spending and saving. Without passing judgment on personal choices, this is enough to reasonably raise their risk profile for a bank, especially for someone who has had a relatively short credit history (again, as OP admits). The point I'm trying to make isn't that OP can't do what he wants with his money, it is that the response from Chase is not an unreasonable one.

I know...carying that much sounds crazy.  I feel weird talking about finances to other people, and absolutely need to curb spending.  I'll impulst buy something for 10k and shrug it off becuase I figure I could have it paid off in a month or two.   I don't always make the right financial decisions, and I"m sure lots of us on this board don't.  For example, with that 40k in credit card debt, I bought a corvette for cash last week.

As someone else posted, I could absolutely lose my job tomororow.  That being said, I work in consulting, in an extremely hot area right now.  If I thought for a second that my job was in jeopardy, or I couldn't get a new job very quickly, I'd pay everything off immediately.  I know, not responsible, and living on the edge.  Part of my problem is that my income doubled 2 years ago, and probably haven't been as responsible as I shoudl have been.

Maybe Chase doing this is a good thing.  Forces me to quickly pay those cards off to avoid a high ute, and opens the door for me to start a relationship with another financial provider.

Happy you can deal with the action. Good luck to you...

Message 32 of 65
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

• Any major gift card purchases repeatedly on a credit card (not just Chase)?  Nope, I use cash.  I hate people who give gift cards
  • Did you recently use Plastiq or Venmo or Paypal to send a large payment to yourself or family or to pay a loan due?  I only use paypal to purchase from retailers.  Probably $2,000 a month on average.  I don't use it to send cash as 'friends and family'

Like the paypal case, the question isn't so much about giving gift cards!

Message 33 of 65
happypill
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@yfan wrote:

$40k may or may not be a lot in a relative sense, but it's definitely a lot in an absolute sense.  One mistake on $40k would offset 10 good decisions on borrowers with $3-5k outstanding (I know OPs $40k are not all with Chase), or 100 good decisions on people with $400 in outstanding debt.  The bigger number is just a bigger risk.

The other thing to keep in mind is that unless they performed a FR, they are just taking the borrower's word about their income of $250k or whatever.  They can't be sure about that, and they also can't really know if the income situation has changed recently (job loss, whatever).  What they can be sure of is the amount of debt outstanding, and how much progress they are making in payments each month.

I'm just speculating, but their algorithm probably draws a conclusion that people with ample financial means do not willingly incur $5-10k in interest per year on CC debt (if rates are 15-25% on $40k).  This could be a red flag for them to limit the relationship.

Message 34 of 65
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Lots of great responses here!  OP, I would certainly pay down (or better yet, off) the Chase balances to mitigate the damage.  Sure it's great to stick it to a lender sometimes, but in this case they may very well just keep balance chasing you which would hurt your scores over time leading to a much higher chance of other lenders taking AA.  And if those aren't promotional APRs, you'd be giving them quite a bit of interest as a reward for souring the relationship.  I think we all use our own experiences when offering advice here, and I may have been a bit quick to draw parallels due to the high revolving debt and high income similarities.  I'm paying my balances down a few thousand a month because I do not have the means to just pay it all off, or to pay off a substantial amount at once.  It's pretty well managed and all of my balances are at single digit or 0% APRs thanks to everything I have learned from this board over the past 2 years.  I also have an older and thicker spotless profile, so that probably also differentiaites things here as well.

As for taking OP's word for the income, however, it does sound like at least the majority of OP's income is run through their Chase accounts so that is certainly some form of informal confirmation of income.  There's also information contained on a person's credit reports that gives lenders and potential lenders some idea of your monthly obligations and your payment history on those so surely that is worked into the algorithm as well.

Message 35 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this isn't what you're asking, but I cannot understand why you choose to throw away thousands of dollars a year in interest when you could easily pay off your cc debt? 

I imagine Chase can't figure it out either. You're being financially irresponsible, and perhaps that's waving red flags at them? 

I've been a Chase cardholder for 24 years, and they kept raising my initial card's limit as my balance grew. They eventually stopped at $11k, and I carried between $5,000 and $9000 on that card for several years when I was clueless. The difference is, I didn't have the money to pay it off. Not at all. In fact, I'm STILL paying it off, just via a personal loan with a lower interest rate. 

Chase is doing you a favor by making you wake up and see the light here. You need to get rid of this credit card debt. It serves no purpose, and if you're buying sportscars while you owe $40k and are blowing through $5-10k of interest per year on this debt like it's no big deal? You're heading down a dangerous path. Rein that behavior in. You make good money, and if you make smart decisions with it you could afford early retirement and financial independence. As someone whose salary will top out at $50k when I reach the high point of my career, trust me when I say you shouldn't squander this. 

Good luck to you.

Message 36 of 65
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@negg wrote:

"Granted, I owe Chase about 20k. Total credit card debt (across all banks) is 40k, which I know seems high, but income also high". 

Right here is the issue. 40K in credit card debt is high not seems high. Chase soft pulled you and saw this and the computer bells and whistle went crazy.  Can't blame them. 

^^^ This exactly, income means nothing if you lose it and honestly I am surprised they didn't do this sooner.  pay it down before other accounts sp you and follow suit.  you don't need tips but my unsolicited one is to use revolvers like charge cards, I am so thrilled to not use checks and to get points that I never do anything out of the norm.  no balance transfers, no interest, no trading points for cash.  just because you could does not mean you should.  as a side note chase does not do well with threats..if you said anything about taking your biz elsewhere you just wrote your future with them.  they don't care about income or how much you have on deposit, its a risk algorithm plain and simple.  good luck with all this, hate to see this happen as chase is my goto

Message 37 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@yfan wrote:

The more you post the more you justify Chase's AA.

Message 38 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with everything you said, except that they don't know my income. I've had nearly $1 million get direct deposited through them in the past 7 or so years.

Thanks for all of the other responses everyone!
Message 39 of 65
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do they not know your income if you have multiple CCs with them?

Message 40 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.