Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CLI chances?

tag
rkinnahan
New Contributor

Chase CLI chances?

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully all the background will allow everyone to give me the best advice out there. 

Went on a big app spree in 2013 and added Chase Amazon (Feb), Citi ThankYou Premier (Feb), Amex SPG(May), Chase Freedom(May), Chase CSP(May), Chase United MileagePlus Explorer(May).  I planned on gardening for a long time since I'm pretty happy with my wallet.  I'll just slowly let the limits grow and negotiate some better terms on my older cards (Discover APR is high).  I plan on getting engaged within the next 6 months so have started to the ring search.  The jeweler offered zero interest for a set financing fee.  The longer the financing period, the higher the financing fee.  It's GE Capital, of which I don't have any accounts.  9 months = 4.75%; 12 months = 5.95%.  Not really the best option, in my opinion.  Even a 3% balance transfer fee would be cheaper. 

My Chase Freedom has 0% financing through August 2014 so I'm thinking I can use that to my advantage.  My initial CL was $7,000 and it was opened a couple weeks ago.  What are the chances of me getting the limit increased to 15k in another 3-4 months?  My track record with Chase is short and they've already offered a total of 37k to me in 2013.  I want to take advantage of the promotional period 0%.  I  have a good chunk of cash to cover a lot of it, but obviously want to get the points from the purchase. 

Is it too late to try and negotiate my initial CL?  I would think so... Would Chase potentially give me a CLI if I request it before the 6 month mark?  It's a Visa Signature, so I can always ask them to allow me to go over the limit and pay it down to under 7k, but would rather have more room as I pay down the balance through August so the card isn't labeled as 'maxed out' (i.e. 75%).

What are everyone's thoughts?  Is Freedom the way to go or should I open a Citi Simplicity instead?  Citi isn't the biggest fan of me so I'm not sure if that will work, plus I won't get any points for the purchase.  I'm trying to not add anymore cards, but this seems like a good reason to do it so I'm not completely opposed.  That's if I even get approved.   Points are secondary to the 0% financing.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k | Chase Freedom $7k | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer $15k | Chase Hyatt Visa $11.8k | Chase Amazon Visa $3k | Citi TY Premier $8.5k | Amex SPG $13.5k | Amex HHonors $5k | Discover IT $9k | BofA Cash Rewards $6k | BofA BB Rewards $2.7k | Banana Republic Visa $3k
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase CLI chances?

You can always move over CL from your other chase cards to your freedom - that won't require a HP, which Chase typically does for a CLI. You can do that just by calling the number on the back of your card. I did that myself this weekend - moved 4k from my amazon to my slate to take advantage of the BT offer. Since you already have 37k cli from chase, you might also be getting closer to the max CL that chase is willing to extend to you. This way you can still take the points you earn on your freedom and transfer it to your CSP - and voila: you're closer on saving up towards a free honeymoon! Smiley Happy

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 2 of 5
rkinnahan
New Contributor

I thought about that.  2 follow up questions: 

1) You can move credit across cards even if you haven't had the card opened for a year?  I seem to remember reading somewhere (perhaps Amex) you can't move unless the account has been opened for a year.

2) How many times can you move credit around?  Could I move it to my freedom for this, then move it back afterwards?  I'll never need my United card to be more than 10k, so i can move 5k pretty easily.  Will that have any adverse impact on potential auto CLI by Chase in the future?

Thanks!

Chase Sapphire Preferred $12k | Chase Freedom $7k | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer $15k | Chase Hyatt Visa $11.8k | Chase Amazon Visa $3k | Citi TY Premier $8.5k | Amex SPG $13.5k | Amex HHonors $5k | Discover IT $9k | BofA Cash Rewards $6k | BofA BB Rewards $2.7k | Banana Republic Visa $3k
Message 3 of 5
parakleet
Valued Contributor

I don't know whether it matters how long you've had the account that you want to take the CL from. I would call and ask. As far as how many times you can do this, I haven't heard anyone say anything about a maximum number but I would also imagine that most people probably don't do this every week either. I don't see why you couldn't move it back after you're done using it on the freedom. Regarding any negative impact on potential auto clis - I can't say and I don't know the rest of your profile - income, debt ratio, etc but chase isn't really known for their auto clis. And I don't know your likelihood of getting auto clis anyways particularly since you already have 37k from them. But of course, ymmv. 

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 4 of 5
Lunacy123

As long as your Chase Freedom has 0% on purchases, as well as balance transfers, I think you should try to move over some of the credit line from your other Chase cards.  You won't get any points if you do a balance transfer.  I am thinking the 13 month rule is for PC's, but Chase will need to answer for sure if they can do it.  Worst case, if you can't move your limits, you could ask the jewelery store if you can make a deposit up to your credit limit, and pay it off since you said you have the cash. And then charge the balance on your Freedom, once the credit limit is released. Good luck!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.