Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase CLI

I hate Chase. I have had a Freedom card with them since 2010 with a $1,500 CL and they have never increased it. I literally just use them now only when they have points in a category I like - and I normally max out the $75 in points for the quarter and drop them again. I have cards with $25K and $35K limits and they keep me at $1500....seriously.

Message 11 of 20
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

I've had my Chase Freedom for 2.5yrs and it's stuck at $500 (my UTI is way too high).

I'd love $1,500! 🙏
Message 12 of 20
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Debit / 80's -

I used to despise Chase while they held me down kicking and screaming about this low limit Slate stuck at $5500 for the past 8-9 years now.  I tried the CLI thing a couple of times early on when they got the account carried over from WAMU during the crisis.  Long story short... a couple of HP's w/o movement ... High APR of 21%+ for many years then last year or so it dropped to 17% and I started keeping an eye on the "offers" section in my account.  Consistently showing pre-app's for Freedom/ FU  / CSP with > 20% APR's and no real incentive to apply.

FF to a couple of weeks ago and being bored with a couple of creditors and spending money anyway that would meet the bonus for $500/$150 on a couple of options.  Started digging around on here and other places and also wanted to test the theory of cards getting bucketed wherever your profile lands you when you start with them.  I narrowed it down to FU / BOA and Amazon.

I started with FU to guage where Chase was going to be nice or just give me another turd to put in the SD.  Mind you the FU Pre-app in my offers was still 21.49% and I knew trhat couldn't possibly be right considering my scores being 830-840's across all 3 agencies.  Fill out the cold app info and hit submit.  A few seconds later it wasn't another turd this time around and they approved for $25.9K which is on the high end for the FU but, not quite up where the CSP/R come in but, whatever.... It's a decent amount considering.

BOA and Amazon both came back at 10K/ea as well.  I guess what I'm trying to say is clean up your profiles, prime your scores, and bite the bullet on a new app if you're stuck in the badlands with Chase or anyone else.  There are options when you are in the right place and try again.  Another instance would be Discover for me started out at $4500 and has grown to $48K in about a year and a half.  

Message 13 of 20
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Thank you for that, austinguy.

Funny, my Amazon Store Card is also stuck at the $800 SL. When I get my UTI away down and the last baddie off of my report I will call CS at Amazon again and see if I can get an CLI. If not, I certainly can't apply for another store card, right? I'm not a fan of Chase, even though I bank with them. So I don't want the Chase Amazon Visa.

As for my Freedom, I guess I'll see what happens a few months after my UTI is all lowered, scores up, etc.

If they don't auto CLI me, I'll just apply for the FU. I'd rather get a higher tier card with a hopefully larger SL using a HP then to use a HP to ask for an increase on my Freedom.

I don't do any traveling so not sure if the main difference between the Freedom and FU.

Cap1 won't even unsecure my starter card or move my QS1 to a non fee QS. It's been 3yrs. Blah

UTI is def what I need to work on as my scores are slowly rising (all over 630 now).
Message 14 of 20
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Yeah, it seems the old addage with Apply rather than CLI is appropriate for some situations like Chase and Crap1 rather than hold your breathe for a CLI if you're in the wrong bucket.

Amazon (Synch) is a totally different animal since it's Synch and all.  If you call CS when your TU is over 700 the sky is the limit and you should be able to pull the usual 25K request and let them counter.  99% of the time they just give it to you or something even higher if it's in the system waiting to be collected.

F/FU 5% rotating catagories and 1.5% straight cash back 

Crap1 denied me for a new account when I was on my kick a couple of weeks ago cleaning things up and tinkering with buckets.  Well, they denied me with a 800+ score saying 2 recent inq's i.e. Chase / BOA were too many for them to stomach.  I recon'd them a couple of times on a turd with a $1500 limit already in place for many years again like the Slate above. Got sick of fighting with them over the new app and inq's and just closed it online with the final payment.  

Just focus on getting things to "ideal" and everything else will follow.  Don't beat yourself up over denials there's plenty of fish out there.  

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the deal with Chase??? Eight months and no Auto ❤️??? Lowest limit of all my cards, $500. Feel like I'm in High School! 😤😤😤 Refuse to submit to a hp and then get a $200 cli, or worse...declined!!! Gardening until winter, 2018. I'll be apping for the CSP as soon as I get out!!! How's that for hipocracy!?! 😜😝😜
Message 16 of 20
iced
Valued Contributor

Every Chase CLI I have requested has only pulled EX.

Edit: FWIW, and if you're after data points, my experience has been that they tend to be generous with CLIs, but maybe they just like my profile. Every request I made was instantly approved:

2014: $7,000 CLI - instant approval, no counteroffer

2015: $10,000 CLI - instant approval, no counteroffer

2016 - $10,000 CLI - instant approval, no counteroffer

Message 17 of 20
dabo1502
New Contributor

I live in Houston and has 3 chase cards (IHG, CSP, Freedom unlimited). I was double pulled (EXP, EQ) each time. Scores were 750+
EQ - 812 (CCT) 5/29/17 / EX- 819 (CCT) - 5/29/2017 / TU - 812 - 5/29(CCT) / Util - 2% / AA0A - 6 years, 8 months

Diners Club Prestige - $40K; Amex ED - $18K; Amex BCE - $5K; Chase CSP - $6K; Chase Freedom Unlimited- $8K; Chase IHG - $17K; Walmart MC - $7.6K; Discover - $12.9K; Merrick - $4850; Credit Care - $2.5K; Pay Pal - 5K; Macy's - $5.2K
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Check this link to see where all the cards pull from by state and bureau. Hope this helps.

<mod edit>  I'm sorry, links to that site aren't permitted on myFICO.  --UncleB

Understood.

Message 19 of 20
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@dabo1502 wrote:
I live in Houston and has 3 chase cards (IHG, CSP, Freedom unlimited). I was double pulled (EXP, EQ) each time. Scores were 750+

Did something drastically change since applying for them like were you in the low 600's because you're over 800 now and that just doesn't make sense unless when you opened them they put you in a lower tier bucket.  Most of the time around here there's mention of a single pull with the higher limit cards with Chase or even BOA.

I got the message early on that they were going to be a PITA back in 2007-2008 when they would HP and deny the CLI every time I asked.  I'm hoping now that I'm in a different bucket completely they'll be a little nicer about it since they gave me a SL of 25.9K on the FU and all.  

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.