Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase CSP and CSR - New Benefits Starting August 16

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
TSlop
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase CSP and CSR - New Benefits Starting August 16

I was just drafting this post and I thought I'd check first again to see if anyone posted it. Looks like you beat me to it. The highlights:

CSP:

• 5x total points on all travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards
  • 3x points on dining, including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out (previously 2x)
  • 3x points on select streaming services
  • 3x points on online grocery purchases (excluding Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs)
  • $50 Annual Credit on hotel stays purchased through Ultimate Rewards. New cardmembers will start earning towards the credit immediately and existing cardmembers will start earning after their next account anniversary.  
  • 10% Anniversary Point Bonus. Each account anniversary, cardmembers will earn bonus points equal to 10% of total purchases made the previous year. That means, $25,000 in spend will earn an additional 2,500 bonus points. 
  • The Sapphire Preferred card will also feature a sleek new card design, which will be available to new and existing cardmembers after August 16

CSR:

• 10x total points on Chase Dining purchases through Ultimate Rewards
  • 10x total points on hotel stays and car rentals purchased through Ultimate Rewards
  • 5x total points on air travel purchased through Ultimate Rewards
  • In addition to earning points, later this year Reserve cardmembers will have access to “Reserved by Sapphire,” featuring exclusive opportunities to book reservations at some of the most sought-after restaurants across the country including Canlis in Seattle, WA, Redbird in Los Angeles, CA, SingleThread Farms in Healdsburg, CA, Reverence in New York, NY and One Off Hospitality in Chicago.
Message 2 of 36
MrDFinance
Established Contributor

I'm surprised at the no annual fee hike.....

Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my opinion, the CSP is the winner here. The hotel credit makes the annual fee essentially $45 which I think is well worth it. The extra earnings on dining and travel will also add up nicely. With the $100 increase the CSR had last year I was expecting more. Would've been nice if they added some sort of credit like the hotel credit to help offset that a bit. I still torn on if I'll keep the CSR after this year. I was really hoping the change would've been better than this. 

Message 4 of 36
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

The one underrated change Chase could implement for the CSR is allowing referrals like the CSP. I honestly don't get it. We don't use the CSP but one referral buys the AF for the year so makes it a keeper

Message 5 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

To add, there's info about the "Chase Sapphire Lounge by the Club airport lounges":

Chase Sapphire LoungeSM by The Club

As previously announced, JPMorgan Chase is continuing to build on its commitment to providing value across the end-to-end travel journey and will be introducing travelers to a new airport lounge: Chase Sapphire Lounge by The Club. Today, Chase unveils three locations that will eventually feature the new lounges, including New York’s LaGuardia Airport (LGA) in the brand new Terminal B, Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) Terminal B to C Connector, and later this year, a first international location in Hong Kong International Airport (HKG) Terminal 1. Opening dates and additional lounge details will be announced over time, and the pipeline of destinations will continue to grow to include new locations at select major airports.

“We’re always looking to provide elevated experiences throughout the travel journey, and our Sapphire Reserve cardmembers have told us that lounge access is key,” said Catherine Hogan, President of Chase Branded Cards. “We’re excited to bring Chase Sapphire Lounge by The Club to life in airports in cities across the U.S. and beyond, providing our cardmembers new value, through a fresh approach that’s rooted in the unique Sapphire experiences they love.”

The Chase Sapphire Lounge by The Club will be developed in collaboration with industry leaders in airport lounges, Airport Dimensions. The lounge experience and design for each location will draw inspiration from its host city, and will provide access to exceptional food, drink, art, entertainment, and wellness.

When Chase Sapphire Lounge by The Club locations open, lounges will be available to Chase Sapphire Reserve cardmembers, as well as Members of Priority Pass. Sapphire Reserve cardmembers will also continue to enjoy Priority Pass Select membership, enabling them access to a global network of 1,300+ lounges, in addition to the new Chase Sapphire Lounge by the Club.

Message 6 of 36
TSlop
Valued Contributor

I will add, I'm not impressed by the 10% back in points. Putting $25,000 on the card and only getting 2,500/$25 back (extra 0.1x) is too small to make a difference in my opinion. Just putting $10k of that non-category spend on the CFU nets you 15,000/$150. I think if they bumped it to 50% back in points, 12,500/$125 (extra 0.5x), they'd be making a much more serious case for me to make this a daily driver. Otherwise, it will continue to only get my bonus category spend.

Message 7 of 36
B_Slow1
New Contributor

I'm surprised that the annual fee for the CSR wasn't raised. But I think Chase is in a slightly trickier spot with raising the annual fees because unlike Amex, with Chase, you need to have one of the "premium" cards in order to utilize transfer partners. If the barrier to entry is too high, it could turn people away. Keeping the CSP at $95 is great for people who need the card primarily to get transfer partner access.

Overall, you can't complain about added benefits for no additional cost. I do wish that 3x for supermarkets was in-store as well, and not just online.

Message 8 of 36
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I like what Chase is trying to do with the CSR by making its travel portal a better value than going through an OTA where they give you the 10th night free. CSR will give you 10% on hotels, worth closer to 20% as a transferrable credit card points. That way it becomes more of a one stop shop type product than before.

Where the CSR falls short is if you already have a hotel card in their ecosystem like the WoH or IHG you won't use the 10x on hotels that often. Some of the other perks like Priority Pass it would take me a significant layover to find value out of. You've got to fly 6x a year for that perk to make a whole lot of sense. Roadside assistance I don't think I'd trust chase on that one as much as AAA.

CSP has increased its dining from 2x to an effective 3.3x since an extra 10% of those dining dollars are returning back to you. That includes 3.3 for online delivery or online grocery, both of which have marked up prices but nice in spot usage. Travel is only 2x but I guess here the CSP user would have a compatible hotel card (Marriot, IHG, Hyatt) with a spot purchase outside of their hotel loyalty brand using the $50 dollar credit through Ultimate Rewards.

I'd personally would rather go with the CSP+hotel card over the CSR. Hotel cards have super high earn rates at their properties and status native to the cards which make them worthwhile. CSP also gives you 3.3 dine compared to 3.0 with the CSR. Travel though is only 2.2x compared to 3.0x with the CSR for non-UR portal purchasing. If you are just going to be purchasing flights through UR then you are getting 5.5 with the CSP compared to 5.0 with the CSR.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 9 of 36
NRB525
Super Contributor

Good info. Thanks. 

What is the 10x for dining through the UR portal? Is that for the exclusive events only, or for basic dining out?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.