Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CSR AF to be 450 through end of 2020

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase CSR AF to be 450 through end of 2020

From TPG:

"Today, Chase updated that policy, announcing that any Sapphire Reserve renewal between July 1 through the end of 2020 will process at $450. Those with renewal dates between April 1 and July 1 will still see a $100 statement credit, which hasn’t changed. Note that this doesn’t apply to new sign-ups – only renewals."

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase CSR AF to be 450 through end of 2020

Glad to see that, mine hits in August so will appreciate the savings especially since minimal use has been put forth Smiley Sad.

Message 2 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I also read that they are increasing statement credit value to 1.5 cents against dining, home improvement, etc charges temporarily.

Amex really should take notice of these things and step it up. They do not even offer 1 cent for MR cash out, which IMO they should at least temporarily be doing!

Message 3 of 16
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I also read that they are increasing statement credit value to 1.5 cents against dining, home improvement, etc charges temporarily.

Amex really should take notice of these things and step it up. They do not even offer 1 cent for MR cash out, which IMO they should at least temporarily be doing!

CSP gets 1.25% statement credit back in those categories as well.

That being said, AMEX Platinum is giving $40 a month in very achievable credits on wireless and streaming, up to $320 back off the AF. Amex Green is $10 off wireless monthly up to $80 (effectively, you now get AMEX Green for cheaper than CSP this year... but Amex Green has CSR 3x categories, not 2x like CSP). That's not nothing.

Chase is adding new categories to existing spend rebates (and travel spend is way down so likely they can cover this), not moving their needle on how much rebate to give back (which would be the case if AMEX changed their cashback from .7ish to 1.0), so what you're suggesting isn't exactly the same.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 4 of 16
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

yep this is what i was waiting for among travel credit changes as still have $200 left and both has been addressed prior to renewal will allow it to renew vs. downgrading now.  Now Amex needs to step up a bit as well.  500+ now for a travel/perk card is just silly with what is currently still going on.  They need to make alot of change imho to offset plat AF and allow travel incidentials etc to be used more easily and quit their stupid claw backs and offer some good will..

Message 5 of 16
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

What I could possibly do here is PC my CSP to a CSR in November, pay a reduced annual fee of $450 and have time to squeeze the grocery credit out of it by the end of the year.

The 1.5 redemption capability is nice if you can find a fire sale on hotels as a way to get a stacked discount. I don't think I'd waste my points on redeming against dinner bills at 1.5 when I can do 3x on a hotel. Unless I wanted to liquidate my chase points and close the ecosystem.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 6 of 16
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

CSP gets 1.25% statement credit back in those categories as well.

That being said, AMEX Platinum is giving $40 a month in very achievable credits on wireless and streaming, up to $320 back off the AF. Amex Green is $10 off wireless monthly up to $80 (effectively, you now get AMEX Green for cheaper than CSP this year... but Amex Green has CSR 3x categories, not 2x like CSP). That's not nothing.

Depends if you have a cell phone bill and pay for streaming services.

I have neither. I prepaid my phone service for the entire year and have an S20 financed through Samsung. My streaming is all running through Amazon Prime which doesn't count as a "streaming service" for any of these deals.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome deals for renewals, and the increased redemption value is welcomed during these times. Chase has a lenient policy on travel credits already. Now it can be used on $300 worth of beer! 

AMEX was starting to look like the golden child with their COVID credits. Now, not so much with inferior COVID perks (IMO), clawbacks, and pop-ups.

Message 8 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Awesome deals for renewals, and the increased redemption value is welcomed during these times. Chase has a lenient policy on travel credits already. Now it can be used on $300 worth of beer! 

AMEX was starting to look like the golden child up until today. Now, not so much with inferior COVID perks (IMO), clawbacks, and pop-ups.

While I am happy to hear my renewal late this year will still be $450, their offerings vs Amex are quite subjective.  The AF reduction is the only recent Chase change useful to me personally, while I'll still have many hundreds of dollars in value from some of the Amex credits on cards I didn't need additional credits to justify the AF on, plus a lifetime supply of postage stamps. 😂 

As for any claw-backs or pop-ups, I don't think any lender's enforcement of rewards abuse should be considered in the value of a card.  That would be like saying CSR is a bad card because of the 5/24 policy, the one Sapphire card policy, and the 48 months between Sapphire bonuses policy.

Message 9 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

And it's not like the clawbacks happen for no reason. It's just a way Amex tries to prevent abuse. It has little to do with the ongoing value of the card.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.