Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase CSR AF to be 450 through end of 2020

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Chase CSR AF to be 450 through end of 2020

@K-in-Boston wrote:

As for any claw-backs or pop-ups, I don't think any lender's enforcement of rewards abuse should be considered in the value of a card.  That would be like saying CSR is a bad card because of the 5/24 policy, the one Sapphire card policy, and the 48 months between Sapphire bonuses policy.

And the popup, when reliable, is really a good thing, giving you the choice to proceed understanding you will not get the bonus.   With other issuers, you may find out "no bonus" when you contact them to see why the SUB hasn't posted after the hits for the app and the now unneccesary spend.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll agree that value is subjective, but people will try to find ways to obtain value from things like AMEX's travel credit specifically because it's hard to use in comparison to Chase's offering. That in itself affects the value of the card in my view, or the value of a lender on a larger scale.  

While the purpose of a pop-up is a good thing, the algorithm behind the pop-up is very questionable, it's not always about lifetime language, but more about how much you spent on their cards recently, or whether you carried a balance or not.

Things like clawing back a welcome bonus because of a small refund (out of your control) just grinds my gears.

Message 12 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Sometimes the pop up and/or clawbacks can seem oversensitive but unfortunately you can thank the people who abused the system for the perhaps overly twichy at times "reward abuse team".

Message 13 of 16
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll agree that value is subjective, but people will try to find ways to obtain value from things like AMEX's travel credit specifically because it's hard to use in comparison to Chase's offering. That in itself affects the value of the card in my view, or the value of a lender on a larger scale.  

While the purpose of a pop-up is a good thing, the algorithm behind the pop-up is very questionable, it's not always about lifetime language, but more about how much you spent on their cards recently, or whether you carried a balance or not.

Things like clawing back a welcome bonus because of a small refund (out of your control) just grinds my gears.

Abuse is not synonymous with "obtaining value"

That's like saying that in order to maximize rewards on groceries, one must rob the grocery store, then complain later how grocery store has armed guards by the door.  

Message 14 of 16
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

...and other things like how many cards you have opened and closed (churning).

I don't recall any DPs of clawbacks from Chase or Amex where a good faith effort was made at reaching the SUB or Welcome Offer spend.  Both can and will if you spend to exactly the $x,000 needed to get the bonus, get refunds, and then never use the card again.

For those actually doing rewards abuse, I will cry no rivers.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now if amex decides to one up Chase and increase the redemption rate for MR points to 2c per point... I'll take a hard look since I have surplus MR points gathering dust atm. Other than that, I will not be cashing out my UR or MR points since I air travel for work and I believe travel will pick up @ some point this year or next. *fingers crossed*

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.