Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Changes FU SUB

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Changes FU SUB

@vic6string wrote:

Not a big surprise.... math and marketing don't mix. Getting back an extra 1% on 20k doesn't make the splash on the screen that "Get $200!" does for most people. Even the 4% deal probably draws less eyes than just the flat $200 from a marketing standpoint. 

Pretty much this. For the average consumer who will probably glance at CC ads for two seconds, an extra 1% reward just doesn't have the splash to draw their attention. "Get $200!" is much more straightforward.

Message 11 of 50
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@rgate88 wrote:

Just saw that Chase has now changed the SUB on the FU from 3% for the first year on the first $20k, to now match the Freedom ($200 on $500 of spending).

I wasn't a player for this but a shame to see it go. 

All good things must come to an end ...

There is a similar SUB that I have talked about here though that could actually be a better deal than the Freedom Unlimited.  Discover is still offering to match bonuses paid in first year on their cards.  The Discover IT MILES card earns 1.5% UNLIMITED back and Discover will match it at end of year one, so you could theoretically earn a lot more than $600 once you surpass the $20K spend.  Their "miles" isn't like other travel cards in that you can redeem them for a flat 1cent/point cash back.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 12 of 50
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

I just can't get past the Chase "FU" card.   You know where my mind goes.   And it's what Chase would tell me in a New York minute!

Lmao Smiley LOL

You realize we on My Fico are the only ones who commonly use and recognize that "FU" though with all our forum abbreviations.  The general population would be thinking the same thing! 

Business Cards

Message 13 of 50
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

On the bright side, you could put a large portion of the spend on your World of Hyatt card, and end up with another free night, plus all the points, including double points on dining, airfare, and gym fees. Most likely 3 nights, possibly 4 depending on the Hyatt destination. After you get the $200 SUB for the CFU.

So many options with Chase.  That's a good point.

I just got the Hyatt card.  Great $850 value SUB. Smiley Happy  Moving my $30K SL to other Chase cards though, some of it moved already.  I don't think I stay at Hyatt's enough to reap enough differential benefit from having a sole Hyatt card and will just concentrate my rewards on the CSR.  Same for my Marriott Bonvoy Boundless.  I like the flexibility I have with earning and redeeming on CSR. Latest valuation on UR points is 2.0 cents and WoH points is 1.7 cents, so about a wash.  (The Points Guy website; August 2019.)

Business Cards

Message 14 of 50
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

I just can't get past the Chase "FU" card.   You know where my mind goes.   And it's what Chase would tell me in a New York minute!

Lmao Smiley LOL

You realize we on My Fico are the only ones who commonly use and recognize that "FU" though with all our forum abbreviations.  The general population would be thinking the same thing! 

Whenever you get poor service somewhere, always make sure to pay the bill with your FU card Smiley Very Happy

On an unrelated note, Alliant still has that nifty VS card that also offers 3% cashback for the first year, but with no cap. And even after the 1st year, it is good for 2.5%. There's a $95 AF, of course, but if you charge over $11k/yr on the card, the AF pays for itself. It's a really good "everyday spending" alternative to the FU - as even with that awesome 150% bonus if you pair the FU with a Sapphire Reserve, it's still only earning the equivalent of 2.25%. After my FU SUB has run its course, I'm hoping to switch my everyday spending to the Alliant VS if they'll give me one.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 15 of 50
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

Lmao Smiley LOL

I can see going into a Chase branch and saying      .."Am I approved for the FU"

Message 16 of 50
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

I mean, it’s more straightforward to the consumer who gets $200 vs 3% times whatever they’re gonna spend in x number of months. I was personally more enticed by the 3% for the 1st year than this.
AU

Message 17 of 50
FieryDance
Frequent Contributor

Darn!  This was going to be my first card after I come out of the garden next Feb.  I knew of all the 3% first year cards Chase would be first to end and here we go. 

This garden really isn’t very pretty.  

Message 18 of 50
SEAlifer
Established Contributor

I just looked at my referral link on Credit Karma and the 3% offer for the first year up to $20K in spending is still on there.
AU

Message 19 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my FU end of July with the 3% offer, which is great, but $200 for $500 spend would have worked better for me.  I'm not someone who's likely to put $20K through the card in a year no matter what kind of bonus they offer... I just can't afford it.

I'll just have to enjoy my 3% for the remainder of the year.

Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.