Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Changes FU SUB

tag
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Changes FU SUB

@rgate88 wrote:

I don't earn UR points (yet), but my understanding is that UR points are worth $0.01/point. So a $200 SUB would be 20,000 UR points. If you're looking to build up UR points, why don't you get the CF & CFU since they're both NAF, get the SUB for both, and the CF gets you the 5% catagories? You'd effectively have a trifecta to maximize your earning potential. Plus you can throw in an ink business card to make a quadfecta if you wanted to really maximize. My 2 UR poitns on the matter Smiley Happy

I've looked at the CF, however i've researched the 5% categories from the last 2-3 years and they just don't match my spending. Most of the categories have been gas stations, and i don't pay for fuel unless it's for my personal vehicle which i drive less than 3k miles per year. The discover IT card i currently have, has slightly better 5% categories for my spending. Unfortunately there is no way to xfer points to chase though.

I'm also at 3/24, and will get more benefit from the CFU on everything outside of travel/dining that i use my CSP for currently. I also plan to get the marriott bonvoy boundless, which will put me at 5/24, and based upon the travel i do annually i'll get more benefit from the boundless than i would the CF.

|  
Message 31 of 50
rgate88
Regular Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@rgate88 wrote:

I don't earn UR points (yet), but my understanding is that UR points are worth $0.01/point. 

As pure cashback, URs are worth 1c each.   With the CSP, they can be used on the travel portal for 1.25cents each, with the CSR for 1.5cents each.   With either CSP or CSR (or some business Inks) they can be transferred to partners, earning potentially much more.

Indeed. TPG puts a valuation on UR points at 2.0 cents/point, because of the powerful option to transfer them (at a 1:1 ratio) to some really valuable rewards programs. For example, if you transfer to United or British airlines, the points could easily be worth 2-5 cents each depending on how you use them.

With UR points, if you have an annual-fee card, taking the 1.0 cents/point cashback option leaves a LOT of money on the table, which is why Chase is rated fairly average as a cashback credit card issuer, but rated one of the best (if not THE best) as a travel rewards credit card issuer.

Correct, I was going off of the CB valuation. Thank you for pointing out the additional value.

CO Platinum - $500; CO Quicksilver - $2,000; Marcus GM BuyPower - $700; Target MC - $9,000; Chase Amazon Prime - $17,300; PNC Core - $27,000; Citi DoubleCash - $8,300 - AmEx Everyday - $2,500 (was $20,000); Citi Simplicity - $29,500; Chase World of Hyatt - $17,300; PayPal LOC - $10,000; PNC Cash Rewards - $36,000; U.S. Bank Altitude Go - $15,000; AmEx Platinum - NPSL ($7,800 POT); Elan Max Cash (Alliance CU) - $25,000; Alliance CU LOC - $2,000; BMO Harris Cash Back (Was Bank of the West Cash Back) - $3,000; (Closed Block-Fi - $15,000 RIP); Wells Fargo Autograph Visa - $10,000; Chase Freedom Flex - $20,300; Venmo - $15,000; AllTru LOC - $10,000

Business Trade Lines - Chase Ink Cash - $4,000 (original limit $19,600); Chase Ink Preferred - $10,000; AmEx BBP - $5,500; Hilton Honors Business - $5,000; FNBO Evergreen Business - $15,000; Elan Business Visa (Alliance CU) - $20,000; Citi Business AAdvantage Platinum Select - $16,000; Marcus GM Business - $2,500; Kabbage LOC - $9,500; Marriott Bonvoy Business - $14,600; Barclays AAdvantage Aviator WE Business - $7,000; IHG Rewards Premier Business - $5,000; Delta Platinum Business - $16,400; Edward Jones Business (Elan) - $2,000; Barclays Wyndham Earner Business - $7,000

Total CLI - $399,900
Message 32 of 50
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@SEAlifer wrote:
I mean, it’s more straightforward to the consumer who gets $200 vs 3% times whatever they’re gonna spend

You mean like this ...  Smiley LOL

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 33 of 50
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
 ... I’m probably not the only one who, when seeing someone referred to as a “MFer”, automatically sees that as something other than “MyFICOer”...

Good to know I'm not the only one with my mind in the gutter about FU and MF. 

Business Cards

Message 34 of 50
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@rgate88 wrote:

I don't earn UR points (yet), but my understanding is that UR points are worth $0.01/point. So a $200 SUB would be 20,000 UR points. If you're looking to build up UR points, why don't you get the CF & CFU ... You'd effectively have a trifecta to maximize your earning potential. Plus you can throw in an ink business card to make a quadfecta if you wanted to really maximize.

Chase Quadfecta? - Check. 

Completed earlier this year.  Smiley Happy

The Trifecta is good.

The Quadfecta can be better!

I'm sitting on 225,000 UR points after getting SUBs on CSR (50K UR), CF ($200 = 20K UR pt), INK Business Preferred (80K UR), plus spending after 16 months.  Then recently converted the INK BP to INK Cash (INK Cash has no AF vs the $95 AF I had on INK BP but BP  gave me the larger SUB.  Plus the spending categories fit me better too.)  It's a great combination if you can make it happen. 

With Chase's 5/24 rule, some people have trouble ever aligning their card apps to ever actually put it all together, so I feel very fortunate.  I already had the CFU which was converted from a Slate many years ago.

Business Cards

Message 35 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got just under 6 months to go for getting under 5/24, and the INK Business Preferred is definnitely on the list. Apping the FU last month prolonged that goal, but I had to go for the targeted pre-approved offer. 

On the $200 vs. 3% thing, some people simply don't expect to spend enough to surpass the $200 in that year. 

$200 for $500 spend in 3 months does sound better than 3% for the year, especially when you do the math and figure out that you'd never spend $20K on one card. You'd have to spend $1,666.66 per month to earn the full $600. Some people don't have that much in expenses, so it's much easier to spend $500 for a quick $200.

Message 36 of 50
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've got just under 6 months to go for getting under 5/24, and the INK Business Preferred is definnitely on the list. Apping the FU last month prolonged that goal, but I had to go for the targeted pre-approved offer. 

On the $200 vs. 3% thing, some people simply don't expect to spend enough to surpass the $200 in that year. 

$200 for $500 spend in 3 months does sound better than 3% for the year, especially when you do the math and figure out that you'd never spend $20K on one card. You'd have to spend $1,666.66 per month to earn the full $600. Some people don't have that much in expenses, so it's much easier to spend $500 for a quick $200.

True, and I'm actually going to have difficulty hitting $20k in my first year, I'm surprised to realize. For a while, I thought it would be a piece of cake - I spend easily $40-50k/yr on cards. But I'm only putting non-dining and non-travel purchases on it (putting those on CSP instead), and it turns out I don't spend that much money on things that aren't dining and travel. I'll probably end up in the $10-$15k range by the end of my first year, which puts me pretty much at pretty much exactly the same $200 bonus as the new SUB offers (unless I temporarily switch some dining and travel spending to it)

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 37 of 50
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

I'm actually going to have difficulty hitting $20k in my first year, I'm surprised to realize. For a while, I thought it would be a piece of cake - I spend easily $40-50k/yr on cards. But I'm only putting non-dining and non-travel purchases on it (putting those on CSP instead), and it turns out I don't spend that much money on things that aren't dining and travel.

But you get 2% back in UR points with CSP for dining and travel, and they are worth 25% more on UR portal so worth no more than 2.5% rate of return.

You know you can transfer CFU "cash-back" points to your CSP/CSR card value through UR portal, right?  So if you use the CFU and get the 3% back, you are already beating your best rate you'd get on the CSP's regular redemption rate.  And if you transfer those 3% cash-back points to your CSP, they'd be worth 3.75% in UR points!   To me, it seems you'd be better off rethinking your strategy and using the CFU for everything as long as you're under the $20K spending cap. 

Business Cards

Message 38 of 50
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@rgate88 wrote:

I don't earn UR points (yet), but my understanding is that UR points are worth $0.01/point. So a $200 SUB would be 20,000 UR points. If you're looking to build up UR points, why don't you get the CF & CFU ... You'd effectively have a trifecta to maximize your earning potential. Plus you can throw in an ink business card to make a quadfecta if you wanted to really maximize.

The Trifecta is good.

I'm sitting on 225,000 UR points after getting SUBs on CSR (50K UR), CF ($200 = 20K UR pt), INK Business Preferred (80K UR), plus spending after 16 months.  Then recently converted the INK BP to INK Cash (INK Cash has no AF vs the $95 AF I had on INK BP but BP  gave me the larger SUB.  Plus the spending categories fit me better too.)  It's a great combination if you can make it happen. 

With Chase's 5/24 rule, some people have trouble ever aligning their card apps to ever actually put it all together, so I feel very fortunate.  I already had the CFU which was converted from a Slate many years ago.

Right, but before you try this at home......   I think the Chase Trifecta (and more recently the Quad version) have been repeated here so often that many think of it as a good goal.   And it CAN be!   But first make sure that the Chase eco system makes sense to you.   Do the transfer partners meet your needs?   (If you are not going to transfer, there are other options offering similar 1.5c per point value, e.g. Altitude and a WF combo).   For some, MRs might be better, and for those that don't really travel much, straight cashback options could win.

Message 39 of 50
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@rgate88 wrote:

The Trifecta is good.

Right, but before you try this at home......   I think the Chase Trifecta (and more recently the Quad version) have been repeated here so often that many think of it as a good goal.   And it CAN be!   But first make sure that the Chase eco system makes sense to you.   Do the transfer partners meet your needs?   (If you are not going to transfer, there are other options offering similar 1.5c per point value, e.g. Altitude and a WF combo).   For some, MRs might be better, and for those that don't really travel much, straight cashback options could win.

This exactly. On here (and other blogs/forums), you hear Chase, Chase, Chase and it gets beaten into people's minds. There is nothing wrong with the UR system, but like anything else it has pros and cons, and there are better options for some people. Chase isn't the be all end all.

Message 40 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.