Did you mean: 

Chase Changes FU SUB

tag
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Changes FU SUB

@Aim_High wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

I'm actually going to have difficulty hitting $20k in my first year, I'm surprised to realize. For a while, I thought it would be a piece of cake - I spend easily $40-50k/yr on cards. But I'm only putting non-dining and non-travel purchases on it (putting those on CSP instead), and it turns out I don't spend that much money on things that aren't dining and travel.

But you get 2% back in UR points with CSP for dining and travel, and they are worth 25% more on UR portal so worth no more than 2.5% rate of return.

You know you can transfer CFU "cash-back" points to your CSP/CSR card value through UR portal, right?  So if you use the CFU and get the 3% back, you are already beating your best rate you'd get on the CSP's regular redemption rate.  And if you transfer those 3% cash-back points to your CSP, they'd be worth 3.75% in UR points!   To me, it seems you'd be better off rethinking your strategy and using the CFU for everything as long as you're under the $20K spending cap. 

I agree with this statement. If you have the 3% CFU SUB, then i would sock drawer the CSP unless it's for travel that you could use the trip delay insurance or trip cancellation insurance. Then once $20k has been hit, go back to the CSP for dining/travel and CFU for everything else. That was my plan, but the 3% is gone for me now and i won't have that option since i didn't plan on applying for the CFU until November/December. It's no longer in my account under "just for you".

|  
Message 41 of 50
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Hey guys, so I have the Reserve, I hit the 100k bonus, but when I applied for the Freedom card, I didn't think I would get the bonus cause I thought if you had Chase cards that their line of cards are one bonus, but anyway, now that I know, is it worth doing a HP for the FU for $200? Thanks!
Message 42 of 50
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:
Hey guys, so I have the Reserve, I hit the 100k bonus, but when I applied for the Freedom card, I didn't think I would get the bonus cause I thought if you had Chase cards that their line of cards are one bonus, but anyway, now that I know, is it worth doing a HP for the FU for $200? Thanks!

Depends on your perceived value of an HP and other cards you might go for!   If you have very few inqs, an extra HP is very little cost, and $200 for $500 spend is fairly good.  If you have a lot, and an extra one might block you from a card you really want......    Also consider the reward structure, with a transfer card the flat 1.5UR is pretty good, without it's just a 1.5% card and from a reward view, you can easily do better.

And then in Chase space there is 5/24.   Is there a different Chase card that you might want.

Message 43 of 50
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

The only Chase card I want as of now is the cash ink card, but other than that, not really. My plan was to just downgrade the reserve to freedom unlimited. For Experian, I have like 14, I think EQ I have like 10 or so.

If I get the FU, I would downgrade the reserve to the old sapphire no annual fee. But yeah, that $200 is a really good deal!
Message 44 of 50
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@TheBoondocks wrote:
The only Chase card I want as of now is the cash ink card, but other than that, not really. My plan was to just downgrade the reserve to freedom unlimited. For Experian, I have like 14, I think EQ I have like 10 or so.

If I get the FU, I would downgrade the reserve to the old sapphire no annual fee. But yeah, that $200 is a really good deal!

Whoa, 14 inquiries in last 24 months on Experian?  From what I've seen, Chase will definitely pull at least that one bureau and often another for some applicants.  That is a lot of hits.  You might want to let a few age off before apping again.

As for Ink CASH card, the SUB is $500 ($3K spend) which is equal to 50,000 UR points.  If you transfer them to your CSR portal, they are worth 75,000 UR points for redemption or $750 value.  However, the INK Business Preferred card gives you a whopping 80K UR SUB ($5K spend) which you can redeem for $800 cash less the $95 AF so, $705.  But if you transfer them to the CSR UR portal, they are worth 50% more so $1200 in travel value less the $95 AF, so $1105.  I took advantage of the higher SUB on the INK BP, waited about 9 months just not to look too obvious about my SUB intentions, then recently downgraded the INK BP to INK Cash with a PC.  Told them I had been looking at it and decided the Cash card fit my spending needs better.  They gave me no hassles about it and even refunded partial AF without me asking.  :-)  Best of both worlds. 

I don't believe you can downgrade the CSR to the old Sapphire.  It doesn't seem to still be available.  Just the Sapphire Preferred ($95 AF) and Sapphire Reserve ($450 AF).  Did you get the CSR just for the SUB?  What is your spending and lifestyle patterns?  Just wondering why it didn't work for you and your spending or lifestyle. 

The $200 SUB on the Freedom Unlimited for $500 spend is a pretty good deal, but as pointed out, if you compare it to other cards long term and if you're getting rid of your CSR, it makes the CFU not very special if you're just using it for straight 1.5% Cash Back.  Not bad, but not the best you can do.  So it depends on what other cards you already have and how it fits into your overall plan besides the SUB.  Taking a HP for only a $200 SUB isn't worth it to me, but that is my personal take on it. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 45 of 50
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

Chase Quadfecta? - Check. 

Completed earlier this year.  Smiley Happy

The Trifecta is good.

The Quadfecta can be better!

Right, but before you try this at home......   I think the Chase Trifecta (and more recently the Quad version) have been repeated here so often that many think of it as a good goal.   And it CAN be!   But first make sure that the Chase eco system makes sense to you.   Do the transfer partners meet your needs?   (If you are not going to transfer, there are other options offering similar 1.5c per point value, e.g. Altitude and a WF combo).   For some, MRs might be better, and for those that don't really travel much, straight cashback options could win.

@kdm31091  wrote: This exactly. On here (and other blogs/forums), you hear Chase, Chase, Chase and it gets beaten into people's minds. There is nothing wrong with the UR system, but like anything else it has pros and cons, and there are better options for some people. Chase isn't the be all end all.

I agree that Chase (or any particular bank or rewards structure) may not be right for everyone.  I also agree that someone may find at least equal rewards at two different banks, so it's important that we all make our own evalutations.  And in some cases, it doesn't mean one was any better than the other; it was just what that person decided to choose when commiting between the two. 

I am obviously pro-Chase, at least right now, but I haven't always been that way.  They are one of my oldest banks I have continuously had credit with (19 years) but not the oldest.  Before my CSR card I received 16 months ago, I only had one open card with them.  I did a lot of my own research and read many web articles and reviews before I decided to pursue an UR points strategy over any other options.  I was actually very skeptical about adding a $450 AF card, but I studied it and decided I would get enough value to make it worthwhile for me.  Similar cards did not compare on a value-proposition to me, my lifestyle, and my spending.  I would always suggest anyone look at all the facts before deciding Chase (or any bank or card) is right for them.  And yes, some people are much better off with AMEX MR points or simple cash-back cards. 

I disagree that having transfer partners that meet your needs is critical to getting great value out of UR points.  There are some great transfer partners, but one of the reasons I chose the UR program was the flexibility I get with consolidating points with the Quadfeta, and then flexibility in redemption at either a full 1 cent per point cash back unlike some cards that pay less in cash, or 1.5 cents per point for UR travel through the travel portal, or even higher rewards if I choose to transfer.   At an absolute minimum, I'm getting at least 3% back in all travel and dining out, 5% back on internet, cable, and phone services as well as office supplies; 5% back on Freedom rotating categories; and 1.5% everywhere else if I just cash in my points.  All those are worth 50% more for travel on CSR UR portal, a great value.  And I can manage the entire grouping from a single log-in on my Chase mobile app or website for convenience. 

I also think that the overall travel protections are more complete on the CSR than competitors, to include Primary coverage on Rental Cars, Trip Cancellation coverage, Trip Delay coverage, Lost or Delayed Baggage Coverage, Emergency Medical Coverage, Roadside Assistance, and AD&D coverage up to $1 Million.   Those added a lot of value for me in choosing a Chase UR strategy and goes well beyond any small incremental savings or upgrades I might be getting on another program's travel partners. 

I also like how CSR gives me $300 travel credit easily and automatically on my statements for a wide range of travel expenses such as hotels, airfare, rental cars, and even tolls, just to include a few.  It makes the fee affordable as long as you actually use the card and Chase's definition of "travel" is more broad than some other cards.   And of course, there is also the TSA Global Entry credit as several premium travel cards offer.

So I have to admit that if Chase did not have the Sapphire Reserve card, nerfed its' benefits, or did not have the flexibility in UR points redemption, I would have to rethink my strategy.  But for now, for me, centered around the CSR's strong central core, nothing even comes close to what the Quadfecta offers me and I'm grateful to have it. 

Business Cards

Message 46 of 50
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Yeah bro, going under 5/24 in May 2020, but most def as for the inquiries to fall off I don't know how long I gotta wait for it to go like below 5 or so lol I know that Chase isn't sensitive when it comes to that type of stuff. But I guess you're right, a $200 isn't good enough for a HP. But, it's much easier to get than the $500 for $3K spend that's why. Yeah, I don't think I'ma pull the trigger too. Thank you for helping me with my decision! I'ma keep it as is.
Message 47 of 50
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@TheBoondocks wrote:

I don't believe you can downgrade the CSR to the old Sapphire.  It doesn't seem to still be available.  Just the Sapphire Preferred ($95 AF) and Sapphire Reserve ($450 AF).  Did you get the CSR just for the SUB?  What is your spending and lifestyle patterns?  Just wondering why it didn't work for you and your spending or lifestyle. 

The Chase Sapphire is still available to those with CSP or CSR as a downgrade path, you however cannot apply for it as a "new card".

|  
Message 48 of 50
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@MyFault wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@TheBoondocks wrote:
I would downgrade the reserve to the old sapphire no annual fee.

I don't believe you can downgrade the CSR to the old Sapphire. 

The Chase Sapphire is still available to those with CSP or CSR as a downgrade path, you however cannot apply for it as a "new card"

Thanks for that clarification!  I did not know that and wasn't really even familiar with the basic Sapphire.  I actually called my CSR customer service and they verified that as of today (08/30/2019) is still correct. 

I looked up the card, though and don't know why anyone would want to downgrade it that far.  You lose a lot of the benefits and perks.  

Chase C/S said you would get 2 points/dollar on Dining but only one on Travel. 

There is no 25% bonus for UR points when redeemed for travel.

You lose ability to transfer to partners.

You lose travel protections including Primary rental car coverage (lapses to secondary) and less trip cancellation/interruption coverage.

Even with the $450 AF, I find the CSR is an unbeatable value.  I think some people who could benefit from it get scared off by that without seeing what they could get for their money. 

Chase_Sapphire.jpgChase_Sapphire_Preferred.jpg9CSR.jpg

Business Cards

Message 49 of 50
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

Thanks for that clarification!  I did not know that and wasn't really even familiar with the basic Sapphire.  I actually called my CSR customer service and they verified that as of today (08/30/2019) is still correct. 

I looked up the card, though and don't know why anyone would want to downgrade it that far.  You lose a lot of the benefits and perks.  

Chase C/S said you would get 2 points/dollar on Dining but only one on Travel. 

There is no 25% bonus for UR points when redeemed for travel.

You lose ability to transfer to partners.

You lose travel protections including Primary rental car coverage (lapses to secondary) and less trip cancellation/interruption coverage.

Even with the $450 AF, I find the CSR is an unbeatable value.  I think some people who could benefit from it get scared off by that without seeing what they could get for their money. 

Chase_Sapphire.jpgChase_Sapphire_Preferred.jpg9CSR.jpg

I think the only reason to downgrade to the CS is if you aren't traveling enough to justify the AF for the benefits of CSP/CSR. At that point though, why not just downgrade to the CFU or CF. I agree i don't see the point

|  
Message 50 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.