Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Checking Account bonus question

tag
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Chase Checking Account bonus question

I opened up a Chase Checking account recently for the $200 cash back.

One of the condition is that I have to make a direct deposit, and it specifically says it has to be from my employer or government. I think I have read somewhere that people have been able to have direct deposit somewhere else and still get the cash back?

The reason I'm asking right now is because I just got my cash bonus from my 1 month old Discover after my spending requirement. It gives me an option to direct deposit it somewhere. I was thinking of just doing a direct deposit from Discover to Chase checking account and be done with it. Will this work?

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
iCoop
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Checking Account bonus question

I also signed up for the offer from Chase for $200 and it was triggered by a small trial deposit from my credit union to verify the account. The $200 bonus was automatically deposited by the system within ten business days. You can always have the money from Discover direct deposited into the Chase Checking account and then call in a few days to check to see if that triggered the bonus offer. The reps are able to tell you on which day the bonus will be deposited into your account. In my case I was told it would be deposited on a Tuesday and posted on Wednesday for use. The reps information was spot on.

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 29
bribro
Valued Contributor

That should work just fine. Chase doesn't seem to be too strict on their DD requirements.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 3 of 29
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

I'm pretty sure it will work. My ACH deposit from my USAA checking to my Chase checking counts as a DD.
Message 4 of 29
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Thanks guys. Did any of you have to continue making monthly direct deposits?

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 5 of 29
bribro
Valued Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

I guess it depends on the terms of your bonus coupon. I think you only need to DD once in order to get the bonus (for those coupons that require it), but many people continue to DD into Chase in order to avoid the monthly maintenance fee. You can also park $1,500 in the account to avoid the fee.

As long as you keep the checking account open for 6 months or more, the bonus is yours (fully vested). Close it before then, and they take it back.

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 6 of 29
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

If you have a Chase Freedom card, you should keep your Chase checking account open for the 10/10 perks.
Message 7 of 29
logan_720
Established Contributor

How did you get ahold of a $200 cashback coupon? I can just find the $150, and am somewhat reluctant to use the $200 cashback ones I find spread around the internet since it the system doesn't tell you if the coupon was accepted until AFTER the account has been opened, at which point you can't go back and reenter a new coupon code...

Message 8 of 29
bribro
Valued Contributor

@logan_720 wrote:

How did you get ahold of a $200 cashback coupon? I can just find the $150, and am somewhat reluctant to use the $200 cashback ones I find spread around the internet since it the system doesn't tell you if the coupon was accepted until AFTER the account has been opened, at which point you can't go back and reenter a new coupon code...

I used a $200 code that popped up on my DGF's computer after she logged out of her Freedom account. I also had one mailed (no DD required) to me, ironically, 2 weeks after opening my Chase checking account.

Message 9 of 29
iCoop
Regular Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

Yes I continue to make the $500 required to keep my account free of the monthly maintenance fee. After 6 months I will still keep my account open as I receive .25% off of my Chase auto loan for having a Chase checking account and another .25% off for having automatic payments. So It was a win-win-win situation for me.

Starting Score: EQ 675 | TU 688 | EX 702
Current Score: EQ 795 | TU 788 | EX 770
Goal Score: 750 (Across All 3)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.