Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Circuit City

tag
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

Chase Circuit City

I had an account (AU) from Chase Circuit City before they filed for bankruptcy. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to call and ask if I could do a PC ( I received a letter from Chase stating that due to Circuit City going out of business, they were going to close the account). I looked at my CR and it is still being reported and is due to fall off my CR come Nov 2014. The account was never late and is being reported as paid.

My question is, if I apply for a Chase card (ie. Chase Freedom), will they take that account into consideration? Do I have a higher chance of getting approved? Also, will they possibly backdate my new account? My Circuit City card was opened back in 12/2002 and had a limit of $4,000. Is it even possible since I was only an authorized user?

I appreciate any input.

Discover IT: $20,5k | Chase Freedom: $5k | CSP: $7k | Amex BCE: $25k | BofA Cash Rewards: $12,4k | Citi DC: $8,4k | Cap1 QS: $6k | Commence: $11k | US Bank Cash+: $8k | Macy's Amex $5k | Kohl's: $3k
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Circuit City

@jakemod1 wrote:

I had an account (AU) from Chase Circuit City before they filed for bankruptcy. Unfortunately, I never got a chance to call and ask if I could do a PC ( I received a letter from Chase stating that due to Circuit City going out of business, they were going to close the account). I looked at my CR and it is still being reported and is due to fall off my CR come Nov 2014. The account was never late and is being reported as paid.

My question is, if I apply for a Chase card (ie. Chase Freedom), will they take that account into consideration? Do I have a higher chance of getting approved? Also, will they possibly backdate my new account? My Circuit City card was opened back in 12/2002 and had a limit of $4,000. Is it even possible since I was only an authorized user?

I appreciate any input.

Give 'em a call, see what the say.  They might surprise you.

I had a Chase Circuit City card at one time back in the day.  When they closed it, they gave me the option to PC to a Chase Best Buy card, which I took.  That account was also closed, and when that happened, that was my opportunity to get the CSP card. 

Stranger things have happened with Chase!  Given your history with them, they may give you some preferred consideration.   Rather than going through the front door CSR route, might want to try one of the back door credit analyst numbers, I think you'd get a better answer than a first line CSR.    Only thing that could be an issue is being an AU, rather than the primary cardholder.  But again, they might surprise you! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I only know of American Express that does backdating on a credit report.

I don't think you can turn this card into something new with it closed so long ago... But if your credit is good, then past credit could possibly help with Chase.

That time was so odd, it was almost like the employees that knew the computer system better than others got better results... My parents had the $4k store card (dad primary, mom AU) When I found out from here about the store and talks about the credit card I quickely got my dad to add me and then about 2-3 calls (Chase Employees in) I got it upgraded to the Circuit City Visa and then converted over to Chase Freedom Plus Visa (When they still had that amazing gem of a card!)

SO Many were told that Visa upgrades were not an option, told that PC to other Chase Visa/MC cards were not possibly because of the partnership agreements (Starbucks was another one that you couldnt get out of until last minute when it was being cancelled (I got a Speedway out of that one which I now can't get PC since I don't live even in that part of the counterySmiley Sad  )

Most got complete account closure or offer/move to the best buy store card by Chase.

Message 3 of 8
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

I don't believe being an authorised user on a credit card has any influence for the lender when you apply for your own card. Authorised users have no responsibility for the balance of the card and the lender really has no relationship with them.

They will not report the new account to have an opening date of 2002, even if the account was in your own name.

Message 4 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I don't believe being an authorised user on a credit card has any influence for the lender when you apply for your own card. Authorised users have no responsibility for the balance of the card and the lender really has no relationship with them.

They will not report the new account to have an opening date of 2002, even if the account was in your own name.

Sorry for confusion, was not suggesting the AU would help, just saying it to state ownership.

Message 5 of 8
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

@thom02099 wrote:

@jakemod1 wrote:

I appreciate any input.

Give 'em a call, see what the say.  They might surprise you.

I had a Chase Circuit City card at one time back in the day.  When they closed it, they gave me the option to PC to a Chase Best Buy card, which I took.  That account was also closed, and when that happened, that was my opportunity to get the CSP card. 

Stranger things have happened with Chase!  Given your history with them, they may give you some preferred consideration.   Rather than going through the front door CSR route, might want to try one of the back door credit analyst numbers, I think you'd get a better answer than a first line CSR.    Only thing that could be an issue is being an AU, rather than the primary cardholder.  But again, they might surprise you! Smiley Happy

Thank you for your advice! I will definitely give them a call. I'm just waiting for my Discover account to report, in hopes that they match my limit on that card. There is a Chase branch close to where I live, so I might even go that route.
Will report back as soon as I get more details.
Discover IT: $20,5k | Chase Freedom: $5k | CSP: $7k | Amex BCE: $25k | BofA Cash Rewards: $12,4k | Citi DC: $8,4k | Cap1 QS: $6k | Commence: $11k | US Bank Cash+: $8k | Macy's Amex $5k | Kohl's: $3k
Message 6 of 8
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Yeah, I didn't think so. I figured I should ask just in case someone had a similar case. I will call and try anyway...worse they can say is no. I hope it gives me a little leverage, at least.

Message 7 of 8
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I only know of American Express that does backdating on a credit report.

I don't think you can turn this card into something new with it closed so long ago... But if your credit is good, then past credit could possibly help with Chase.

That time was so odd, it was almost like the employees that knew the computer system better than others got better results... My parents had the $4k store card (dad primary, mom AU) When I found out from here about the store and talks about the credit card I quickely got my dad to add me and then about 2-3 calls (Chase Employees in) I got it upgraded to the Circuit City Visa and then converted over to Chase Freedom Plus Visa (When they still had that amazing gem of a card!)

SO Many were told that Visa upgrades were not an option, told that PC to other Chase Visa/MC cards were not possibly because of the partnership agreements (Starbucks was another one that you couldnt get out of until last minute when it was being cancelled (I got a Speedway out of that one which I now can't get PC since I don't live even in that part of the counterySmiley Sad  )

Most got complete account closure or offer/move to the best buy store card by Chase.

Yeah, I wasn't even offered a PC, just a notice stating they were closing the account. If I would've known better then, I would've called at least and asked for a PC.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.