Chase Closing My Accounts!

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Chase Closing My Accounts!

@UncleB wrote:

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@timmis1127 wrote:
I honestly don't remember, I never thought too much of it because I hardly used the card.

Weird thing is they also closed my brothers chase freedom card and closed his bank accounts within a couple days apart of closing my chase freedom card.

Sorry for your troubles. Did you ask the rep why? If the rep couldn't answer this question, you may want to visit a local Chase bank to get some answers. Hopefully, there's one in your area. If not, I would make another phone call to find out what's going on.

Has your brother called to find out why his accounts were closed? Best of luck!

+1

While we can speculate here all night about what might have happened, if the OP truly has no idea of what might be going on he needs to get to a Chase branch pronto - if it were me I would be there when they open tomorrow AM.

The only time I've read of a situation similar to this is when there was an issue with suspected embezzeling or other illegal activity.  That doesn't mean anything bad is actually happening, just that (in the other cases) something was done to flag the accounts... sometimes rather than deal with the SARs a bank will "keep things simple" and just close all the accounts, both credit and deposit.

There's no way to know for sure until you speak to somebody higher up, though.  If it's a security concern like I mentioned, it's likely that the lower level CSRs won't be able to provide any information. 

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

If it is a security concern, no-one will give any information.   At best (and I guess this is something) you can get confirmation that it isn't a mistake.

Message 11 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@beautifulblaquepearl wrote:

@timmis1127 wrote:
I honestly don't remember, I never thought too much of it because I hardly used the card.

Weird thing is they also closed my brothers chase freedom card and closed his bank accounts within a couple days apart of closing my chase freedom card.

Sorry for your troubles. Did you ask the rep why? If the rep couldn't answer this question, you may want to visit a local Chase bank to get some answers. Hopefully, there's one in your area. If not, I would make another phone call to find out what's going on.

Has your brother called to find out why his accounts were closed? Best of luck!

+1

While we can speculate here all night about what might have happened, if the OP truly has no idea of what might be going on he needs to get to a Chase branch pronto - if it were me I would be there when they open tomorrow AM.

The only time I've read of a situation similar to this is when there was an issue with suspected embezzeling or other illegal activity.  That doesn't mean anything bad is actually happening, just that (in the other cases) something was done to flag the accounts... sometimes rather than deal with the SARs a bank will "keep things simple" and just close all the accounts, both credit and deposit.

There's no way to know for sure until you speak to somebody higher up, though.  If it's a security concern like I mentioned, it's likely that the lower level CSRs won't be able to provide any information. 

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

If it is a security concern, no-one will give any information.   At best (and I guess this is something) you can get confirmation that it isn't a mistake.

Over the phone I agree, but if the OP goes to a branch and shows ID he'll at least get an idea of what he's dealing with, even if they don't go into specifics - that's why I mentioned that first.

Actually, even if a branch manager doesn't give much (or any) information even that in itself is 'information'.  Smiley Wink

The bottom-line is if showing up in person with ID doesn't get answers, it's likely a lost cause.  I would expect this if the problem is SAR related... anything else they would likely be able to talk about.  Also, the OP will probably have an idea if he's done something that's not considered 'normal', especially between him and his brother since his brother's accounts are closed as well.

On the other hand... my hypothesis about this being SAR-related could be totally wrong and a branch manager might (?) be able to help straighten everything out.  Without having more information it's hard to tell.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The bank can close accounts and not have to tell you anything at all.

Be real op. Chase is closing your accounts for a reason. Tell us what you really know.
Message 13 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
The bank can close accounts and not have to tell you anything at all.

Be real op. Chase is closing your accounts for a reason. Tell us what you really know.

Actually they can... eventually they will give some obscure excuse (usually if you go to a branch in person) but it's not unheard of.  It's not 'normal' by any means, though, and is many times SAR or suspected fraud related - at least the other instances I've read about have been.  That the OP's brother is having the same issue makes me lean toward it being SAR, though.

OP doesn't have to share any more than he's comfortable with... there's always the chance this is an honest mix-up - we have to assume that on here unless we're told otherwise. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.