Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Combining Limits?

tag
drew11
Regular Contributor

Chase Combining Limits?

My fiance applied for the Chase CSP in April but after the year is up we will not need two 2 CSPs. Our plan is for me to keep my CSP and she would PC her CSP to a Freedom.

I was wondering what would be the best/most guaranteed way to do this:

1) Apply for a new Freedom, receive Freedom sign up bonus, transfer the UR points to my account, transfer Freedom's CL to CSP, downgrade the CSP to Freedom, and close the newly opened Freedom.

2) Downgrade CSP to Freedom, apply for a new Freedom, receive Freedom sign up bonus, transfer UR points to my account, combine Freedom's CL to older Freedom, and close the newly opened Freedom.

3) Downgrade CSP to Freedom, apply for a new CSP, receive CSP sign up bonus, transfer UR points to my account, combine CSP's CL to older Freedom, and close the newly opened CSP.

Thanks!

01/04/17 Equifax FICO 788
01/04/17 Experian FICO 789
01/04/17 TransUnion FICO 784

Amex BCP $24,000 | Chase Freedom: $13,000 | Chase SR: $35,000 | Discover IT: $20,000 | PenFed Platinum: $32,000
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
drew11
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase Combining Limits?

Bump. Just wondering which option Chase would have the least problem with/most likely be able to do?

Amex BCP $24,000 | Chase Freedom: $13,000 | Chase SR: $35,000 | Discover IT: $20,000 | PenFed Platinum: $32,000
Message 2 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

The accounts have to be >13 months to move credit limits around.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 10
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

@enharu wrote:

Hmm...I don't know how true this is considering I opened up a Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card this past December and then opened up a CSP this February and closed the Explorer card and transfered the CL to the new CSP.

@drew11 wrote:
Just wondering which option Chase would have the least problem with/most likely be able to do?

Your best bet is either option 1 or 3 because I know that if you apply for a card that you already have, Chase will flat out deny your application.  It all depends on which sign up bonus you want and what rewards you are looking for in a card.  Out of your three that you have listed I would suggest going with option #3.  It is the option with the fewest "things that you want to do" and it also looks to be the most rewarding.  Considering that out of all your three you do not want to keep the CSP, I would say go with option #3 since it gives you the best sign up bonus.

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 4 of 10
drew11
Regular Contributor

Yeah I'm not sure if that is true, I have seen other threads where people have opened an account and even within a week transferred their new CL to an existing account and closed the newly opened card. Does anyone else have any experience doing so in a short time after being approved? 

Option #3 does seem the best especially because she would be receiving a larger sign up bonus. However, is there an increased risk of being rejected for the CSP as a second Chase card versus applying for the Freedom as the second card?

Message 5 of 10
withaspark
Contributor

@drew11 wrote:

Does anyone else have any experience doing so in a short time after being approved?

Chase allowed me to do a partial CL transfer from a card that was about 4 months old to a 9 month old card--I was keeping both open though, that may matter--I'd move at least a large portion of the limit before discussing closing the account.

Message 6 of 10
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

You won't be able to get the CSP sign up bonus again. It's for first time card holders.

If you PC the CSP to the freedom card first, you'll probably get a denial when you apply for the new freedom. On top of that, you probably won't receive the sign up bonus with the new freedom. But there is a small chance that a chase employee might overlook it. Basically this isn't the route you should take.

Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 7 of 10
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@Laugh wrote:
You won't be able to get the CSP sign up bonus again. It's for first time card holders.

If you PC the CSP to the freedom card first, you'll probably get a denial when you apply for the new freedom. On top of that, you probably won't receive the sign up bonus with the new freedom. But there is a small chance that a chase employee might overlook it. Basically this isn't the route you should take.

I think option number one he would apply for the freedom first, transfer the CL to CSP then downgrade.

Message 8 of 10
GeneralCucumbre
Regular Contributor

@drew11 wrote:

However, is there an increased risk of being rejected for the CSP as a second Chase card versus applying for the Freedom as the second card?

You have a point.  But I don't think it would be a problem if your credit is pretty decent (which I am assuming it is).  If you do apply for the Freedom, I would say that your chances of getting approved are a little higher...but not DRASTICALLY HIGHER.  I would think that Chase pretty much uses the same underwriting policies across all their "main" cards.  The only difference being that in order for people to get a Sapphire or Sapphire Preferred (which are both issued as either Visa Signature or World MasterCard), they MUST qualify for at least a $5000 credit limit.  Also, Chase has been known to be VERY GOOD with recons.

AMEX Green Corporate - NPSL | AMEX Everyday - $60,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa Signature - $49,500 | Chase Freedom Visa Signature - $27,300 | USAA Platinum Visa - $26,000
Message 9 of 10
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:

Definately not true.  I moved my CSP credit over to open a freedom.  I then opened up a United Mileage Plus card and within 2 months moved over 5k over to my freedom.  All cards are well under 7 months old.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.