Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Credit Card Strategy

tag
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Chase Credit Card Strategy

As a Chase holder for the past 18 months or so I've been taken aback by some of the changes they've made to their credit card lineup. For example I had considered upgrading from the CSP to the CSR but with the Freedom line now 3x dine there doesn't seem a point to it.

Therefore I'm thinking of restructuring my Chase credit card portfolio into something more effective for me.

Chase Freedom Unlimited 13,400 (Daily Driver)

Chase Freedom 15,000 (5x categories)

Chase Sapphire Preferred 24,600 (Doordash)

World of Hyatt 20,900 (Hyatt)

What is happening is my CFU is pushing 10% utilization but I'm hardly putting a few hundred dollars on the other cards. What I'm proposing is using the Hyatt card as a daily driver as I'm trying to achieve explorist status (20/30 nights) since every 5,000 spend results in two qualifying nights, two nights which would take at minimum 5,000 points for me to redeem so that is like 10,000 points I'm saving for every 5,000 spend (an extra 2x per dollar) to go with 2x/1x spend that I get on the card. Then of course at $15,000 spend (I've already put over 5,000 on the card) I would get an additional free Category 1-4 hotel, worth up to another 15,000 points.

Proposed close and redistribution:

Chase Freedom 20,000 (5x categories, bills & utilties)

Chase Sapphire Preferred 24,600 (Doordash, Lyft)

World of Hyatt 28,800 (Hyatt, Daily Driver)

This way I'm getting better utilization across my cards, simplify my wallet some ect. I can only hold over 12,900 of credit with the Freedom card after speaking with the CSR.

If I want 3x dine again down the road I could app for CFF in July once I'm not 5/24 or upgrade my CSP to a CSR but in the short run I think its a good move to lock down Explorist while I have the extended calendar year on it.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Chase Credit Card Strategy

@Citylights18 wrote:

As a Chase holder for the past 18 months or so I've been taken aback by some of the changes they've made to their credit card lineup. For example I had considered upgrading from the CSP to the CSR but with the Freedom line now 3x dine there doesn't seem a point to it.

International dining would be subject to FTFs on Freedom cards.  For the target demographic of CSP/CSR, that is an important disntinction between the cards.   If you are paying cash for airlines, the Chase Travel portal is fine with the Freedom cards.  If using URs, you lose that multiplier.  If using Chase Travel for hotels either with cash or URs, it's always key to remember that no major hotel loyalty program will count the stays/nights toward elite status, and with very rare exceptions the hotel will not honor any status benefits or perks unless booked directly.

Message 2 of 19
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

International dining would be subject to FTFs on Freedom cards.  For the target demographic of CSP/CSR, that is an important disntinction between the cards.   If you are paying cash for airlines, the Chase Travel portal is fine with the Freedom cards.  If using URs, you lose that multiplier.  If using Chase Travel for hotels either with cash or URs, it's always key to remember that no major hotel loyalty program will count the stays/nights toward elite status, and with very rare exceptions the hotel will not honor any status benefits or perks unless booked directly.

Yeah the travel portal purchasing is most effective for airfare where the airline loyalty points still count vs. hotel purchasing. That is why I believe a hotel card is an under valued investment because of the co-existence with the loyaty programs, high points per brand spend and perks at the hotel.

But I think having 2 hotel cards might be overkill. First the chains usually have at least one hotel at each destination so 90% there is overlap. Secondly its much easier to redeem free nights when you can stack them together in one program. I like the idea of having a secondary hotel option though just in case you are somewhere your chain isn't available. Citi Premier with the $100 travel credit through their portal w/ $500 spend or buying hotel rooms through an OTA and collecting loyalty stays.

With airlines price comes before loyalty when people buy so there is something to be said for having cards with all the big 3 airlines and go with whomever has the best deal (or wherever you have the most miles).

Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 3 of 19
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Citylights18 wrote:

Yeah the travel portal purchasing is most effective for airfare where the airline loyalty points still count vs. hotel purchasing. That is why I believe a hotel card is an under valued investment because of the co-existence with the loyaty programs, high points per brand spend and perks at the hotel.

But I think having 2 hotel cards might be overkill. First the chains usually have at least one hotel at each destination so 90% there is overlap. Secondly its much easier to redeem free nights when you can stack them together in one program. I like the idea of having a secondary hotel option though just in case you are somewhere your chain isn't available. Citi Premier with the $100 travel credit through their portal w/ $500 spend or buying hotel rooms through an OTA and collecting loyalty stays.

With airlines price comes before loyalty when people buy so there is something to be said for having cards with all the big 3 airlines and go with whomever has the best deal (or wherever you have the most miles).

2 (or more) hotel cards with the same chain can be great, though!  And for the right person, multiple hotel cards can be good for the light traveler or the very heavy business traveler who might frequently use two or more chains.  I haven't been in a non-Marriott hotel for over 4 years, and one of the primary reasons I chose Marriott over Hilton was footprint.  They are everyone I go or have even semi-reasonable plans to go in the coming years.

Don't discount airline loyalty.  While the average consumer is usually looking for the best deal, those of us with airline status (and particularly higher levels of airline status) can be loyal to a fault.  I'll happily pay more to a reasonable extent to fly Delta/SkyTeam and its partners (even with my completely unused lower United/Star Alliance status) for perks, experience, and continuation of my status.  In fact, since dropping Southwest for Delta a few years ago, the sole non-Delta-operated flight I have taken (other than partners KLM and Virgin Atlantic) was a mixed American and Alaska one-way that I only did because it was a super cheap F award fare I could use my orphan Virgin America miles on and even Delta Main Cabin tickets were very expensive that day for that route (BOS-LAX).  Even convenience usually isn't much of a game changer; I'll also probably choose SkyTeam over anyone else even if it means connecting in Switzerland to get from Boston to Chicago!  (An obviously exaggerated and unlikely situation since it's prohibited by cabotage laws, but in all seriousness I would pick BOS-MSP-DFW on Delta over a direct American BOS-DFW flight unless it were hundreds cheaper.)

Message 4 of 19
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

How many times do you fly a year? Ten times a year plus? At that level its worth riding a loyalty program.

Before getting into travel points about 18 months ago I would just pull out Skyscanner and see what numbers popped up and picked the lowest fare. At the moment I have quite a few points so I'm looking more at who is charging the least amount of points for preferred routes. Carriers have their sweet spots, usually if they have a hub in that location. Delta turned out to be by far the most expensive for the routes I was looking at with SWA for cross continental flights the best and BA or JetBlue for flights to the islands.

The raw amount of points you are then earning is then more important than lining everything up with one ecosystem because you can identify the flight deal and then move points accordingly. Move just enough points from the credit card to the airline to cover the expected point cost of the flight. Accept a few preemptive transfer bonuses from AMEX and Citi (Chase is starting to offer more of those too).

Message 5 of 19
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

I don't really understand the logic for that- are you saying you should pay $300 or so a year for cards with lousy earning structures (really, they're all garbage earning compared to Chase/AMEX/etc.) because you don't want to pay a checked luggage fee? 

I can understand wanting to hold the Delta AMEX cards if you're a Delta elite (because waiving MQD is nice, the companion cert could make sense), or United, etc., but if you're a casually attached flyer playing the field on Expedia, just get a ubiquitous travel card. I'll take 4x MR earn on dining for AMEX Gold (which is really 4x SkyMiles, or Avios, or...) over 2x SkyMiles earn every day of the week. That and fly Southwest and pay $0 for checked bags.

Speaking of... Southwest is actually a thing. Arguably as influential in the US as "the big 3".

| Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 6 of 19
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

I don't really understand the logic for that- are you saying you should pay $300 or so a year for cards with lousy earning structures (really, they're all garbage earning compared to Chase/AMEX/etc.) because you don't want to pay a checked luggage fee? 

I can understand wanting to hold the Delta AMEX cards if you're a Delta elite (because waiving MQD is nice, the companion cert could make sense), or United, etc., but if you're a casually attached flyer playing the field on Expedia, just get a ubiquitous travel card. I'll take 4x MR earn on dining for AMEX Gold (which is really 4x SkyMiles, or Avios, or...) over 2x SkyMiles earn every day of the week. That and fly Southwest and pay $0 for checked bags.

Speaking of... Southwest is actually a thing. Arguably as influential in the US as "the big 3".

The best example is if you wanted to pick up a few business airline cards just to establish your business credit and stockpile SUB miles across the cards in the process.

If it sets you back three AFs of $95 a piece this is still better than absorbing the AF of one AMEX Business Gold $295. To cut down on AF more let's say you made the 3 choices with SWA, JetBlue and United with Southwest and JetBlue cards giving you points as an offset.

Then if each card gave you at least 60,000 points you'd be sitting on 180,000 points which in this travel period could cover you for quite a while. You don't really need to be earning on them when you can sit on those SUBs. With the cards you get higher earning rate when you spend on airline related purchases.

Message 7 of 19
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Citylights18 wrote:

How many times do you fly a year? Ten times a year plus? At that level its worth riding a loyalty program.

Yes, that's me the past few years.  It's been a slow year obviously, but I should end up somewhere between 21 and 25 segments by the end of the year.  Delta is of course extending my Platinum status through 2021, but I still would have hit Gold this year via the normal rules from MQMs and MQDs.

Message 8 of 19
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

The cards with $250-$550 fees come with more than checked bag fee waiver, though.  For those the selling point is the companion certificate that should more than cover the annual fee as well as the big signup bonuses.  (And for elites, additional perks and/or opportunities to earn higher status.)  Certainly for category spending, there are better cards.  But for the average consumer, particularly those in hub cities for a specific airline or those in smaller markets where it's their sole airline choice to get to a larger airport, it can certainly make sense to pick up a sub-$100 AF card for the waived bag fees.

Southwest is definitely a massive player in the US, and I flew them fairly often prior to becoming a SkyFanboy.  However, sometimes people need to fly to places outside of the US, Caribbean, and a small list of destinations in Mexico, Belize, and Costa Rica.  The unique "take whatever's empty" seating process certainly isn't for everyone.

Message 9 of 19
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@Citylights18 wrote:

The cards with $250-$550 fees come with more than checked bag fee waiver, though.  For those the selling point is the companion certificate that should more than cover the annual fee as well as the big signup bonuses.  (And for elites, additional perks and/or opportunities to earn higher status.)  Certainly for category spending, there are better cards.  But for the average consumer, particularly those in hub cities for a specific airline or those in smaller markets where it's their sole airline choice to get to a larger airport, it can certainly make sense to pick up a sub-$100 AF card for the waived bag fees.

I guess but you've got to be careful on price in these conditions when some carriers are charging double for the same routes.

There is a convenience factor to loyalty no question. If that alone saves you some time shopping for flights that can be worth something.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.