Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Credit Limit Transfer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Credit Limit Transfer

These forums have been a huge asset for me for a long time now and I've learned so much! I currently have $35k in personal limits with 0% utilization but had my CSP limit reduced from $10k down to $2k years ago during a time when my business was struggling and the card was maxed out. Since that time, I've worked on repairing and rebuilding my credit file and my scores are ~750 across all 3 bureaus as opposed to low 600s back then. I was recently approved for a Chase Business Ink Preferred with a $32k limit and wanted to increase the limit on my personal CSP as well.

Rather than requesting a limit increase on the card itself with a HP, I feel a better route might be to apply for a Chase Freedom Unlimited and transfer as much of the limit to my CSP as possible (if approved) and relatively quickly close the Freedom Unlimited. The thought process is that a new card would get a healthier limit than an increase (not proven, just a thought). I just wanted to get some feedback from more experienced members on if this is a good strategy, or if something else might be recommended. I would want to close the new account in hopes that my average age of credit wouldn't be negatively impacted by the new card, while bolstering the limit on my CSP. Although it's one of my lowest limits, the CSP is my daily driver and I use the limit fully and pay down the card multiple times per month - the balance is always paid down every month on the due date.

Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated, thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Chase Credit Limit Transfer

@Anonymous wrote:

These forums have been a huge asset for me for a long time now and I've learned so much! I currently have $35k in personal limits with 0% utilization but had my CSP limit reduced from $10k down to $2k years ago during a time when my business was struggling and the card was maxed out. Since that time, I've worked on repairing and rebuilding my credit file and my scores are ~750 across all 3 bureaus as opposed to low 600s back then. I was recently approved for a Chase Business Ink Preferred with a $32k limit and wanted to increase the limit on my personal CSP as well.

Rather than requesting a limit increase on the card itself with a HP, I feel a better route might be to apply for a Chase Freedom Unlimited and transfer as much of the limit to my CSP as possible (if approved) and relatively quickly close the Freedom Unlimited. The thought process is that a new card would get a healthier limit than an increase (not proven, just a thought). I just wanted to get some feedback from more experienced members on if this is a good strategy, or if something else might be recommended.

The strategy is fine but I wouldn't open an account and close it.  If you can't stomach holding onto the FU card than I say it's better for you to just apply for a CLI on the CSP; you're going to get hard pulls either way. And by going the CLI route you're avoiding (a) lowering your average age of accounts and (b) resetting your age of newest account.

I would want to close the new account in hopes that my average age of credit wouldn't be negatively impacted by the new card,

Here you're off base. The average age of accounts includes everything in  your report, including closed accounts. Even after you close it the account will be there for many years.  So no, that's not a valid reason to close it.

while bolstering the limit on my CSP. Although it's one of my lowest limits, the CSP is my daily driver and I use the limit fully and pay down the card multiple times per month - the balance is always paid down every month on the due date.

Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated, thank you!

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica I appreciate the quick response and information, I didn't know that closed accounts are factored into the average age of credit - learned something new today. Thanks! 

Message 3 of 10
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Welcome to My Fico Forums, @Anonymous.  Smiley Happy 

I have often mentioned using this very technique to bolster credit limits with Chase.  However, I would **NOT** open a card with them and close it immediately.  Let it age for at least a year or two before you combine the limits so as not to be so obvious.  Also, as @SouthJamaica mentioned, closing it right away won't help you with average account age since the card will still report and may continue to factor into credit age for up to about 10 years until it falls off your credit report. 

With the spend you report, I would think Chase would give you a CLI, but the complicating issue is the previous CLD due to your financial situation.  I'm not sure how that would affect the outcome.   However, I believe that getting a $32K approval on the INK bodes well for possible succesful CLI without adding the new account. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aim_High Thank you! Leaning towards the CLI now, will apply in the coming days and keep this thread updated.

On the topic of average age, the last 2 negative items I have on my report are 3 seperate 30 day lates on AMEX and BoA from 2016/2017 (in hindsight I don't how I let this happen...but I did). However, these 2 closed accounts are also the oldest on my report having been opened in 2010. 

My question is this, would it be more beneficial if these accounts were removed along with the 3x 30 day lates on each, or would removing the oldest (albeit closed) accounts on my report do more damage than good? My 5 remaining accounts were opened between 2015 and 2020. 

Message 5 of 10
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Keep in mind that with Chase, the more accounts you open in a short time, the chances of duplicating that large limit goes down. The CLI isn't a bad idea. With all the volatility out there, I wouldn't try to poke that bear.

As for the difference between having the late payments age or removing the accounts I am not sure however I think that since the late payments factor in to an ever-decreasing degree it's a wash. However,  as they age they will add to your profile in ways that are not easily duplicated. Maybe they will GW delete the lates. Then you'd have the best of both worlds. 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Considering you recently opened a new account with Chase I think I would just contact them about a possible CLI/CL reinstatement on the CSP, either scenario would cost a HP but as was pointed out the CLI won't come with new account penalty. Since your scores are better than when the CLD happened there's at least a chance at a decent increase. Apping for a new card at this point doesn't guarantee a higher SL than CSP due to your recent $30K app, if not for that you may have had a chance at a larger increase on the personal side.  IDK, Chase can be finicky at times with matters like this so who knows.

Message 7 of 10
creditfan
Established Contributor

close cards with less than one year old is possible but not a good practice behavior 

Message 8 of 10

Off topic.......but, I notice you have a lot of credit cards. Do  you use them all?  If so, what is the spend

I ask because, I don't see the point in having all those credit cards

Message 9 of 10
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@1500Creditcardsorbust wrote:

Off topic.......but, I notice you have a lot of credit cards. Do  you use them all?  If so, what is the spend

I ask because, I don't see the point in having all those credit cards

Who are you directing the question at?  If not the OP I would suggest you consider sending a PM with your questions as yes it's absolutely off topic. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.