Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Default --Authorized User

tag
sperrin
Valued Member

Chase Default --Authorized User

I defaulted on a Chase credit card I obtained on college in 2005.  It's about to drop off my credit report in November.  In the mean time, I wanted to know if there would be an issue if I was added as an authorized user on my parent's Chase Sapphire card.  I know there are issues if you've ever defaulted with American Express, I was just hopping Chase was not the same.  Thanks in advance guys!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Default --Authorized User

I doubt there will be an issue. I added my fiancée as an AU to my Chase cards and she doesn't even have a U.S. SSN (she's not American). Chase just wanted her name and how it was spelled. That's it. She could have been named Daisy Duke and I doubt they would have cared.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 2 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 3 of 10
Rackham94
Established Contributor

@sperrin wrote:

I defaulted on a Chase credit card I obtained on college in 2005.  It's about to drop off my credit report in November.  In the mean time, I wanted to know if there would be an issue if I was added as an authorized user on my parent's Chase Sapphire card.  I know there are issues if you've ever defaulted with American Express, I was just hopping Chase was not the same.  Thanks in advance guys!

There should not be a problem being added as an AU but as far as later opening up another Chase card chances are slim to none.

Message 4 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I was thinking the same @ Rackham94.
Chase has a loooooonnng memory!
Message 5 of 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

+1 on long memory. I'm still on blacklist (13 yrs).
Message 6 of 10
Shyone44
Contributor

What if I was an AU on a Chase card that was charged off (shows up on my reports that I was an AU, currently in dispute to be deleted) could I apply for my own Chase card with no black lash for the old CO? (Sorry for the hijack of your post OP Smiley Embarassed)

Last app 3/21/13
EQ 658 (5/28/13)
TU 608 (5/1/13)
Message 7 of 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

I've heard/read horror stories about CC's coming after the AU's when a card defaults...Don't know what to tell ya.

Message 8 of 10
sperrin
Valued Member

Hi Burned--

Not really sure I understand your response?  Seems like that would be illegal.

Message 9 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I don't believe that there should be an issue.

If there is an issue, then Chase will likely notify your parent, and the account will remain intact without your being an AU.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.