Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase: Dispute of fraudulent charge did not end in my favor

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Chase: Dispute of fraudulent charge did not end in my favor

@Anonymous wrote:

My goal isn't to convince the internet that I'm being honest, though. I'm sure everyone here has at least some doubt. Whether that's reflected in the reply or not, either type of reply is helpful for my understanding what to think of this. Thanks

Not really!   I don't see that you have anything to gain from being dishonest, it's not as if when enough MyFico believes we could convince Chase to give you your money.

I think a good rule of thumb for these forums (not that I follow it, but everyone else should) is to take what is posted as fairly true, at least from the point of view of the poster.  Just bear in mind that it isn't always the full story and so don't get panicked by stories like "I did nothing AT ALL wrong and Chase/Citi/NFCU closed all my cards" and expect the same thing is about to happen to you.

If people are seeking advice and miss out critical things, then that reduces the value of the answers they receive but that is their problem,  Not much point in calling people out when you don't know if you are right anyway.

I mean, no-one really suspects that I am actually a 3 year old girl from Minsk who can't even spell k-r-e-d-d-i-t, no c-r-e-e-d-i-t-t card

Message 21 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

The banks do not always get it right as in your case.

I am sorry this happened to you.

Thanks for the post, it keeps us all informed how things can alwys go wrong

Mark

Message 22 of 33
notmyname
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@TSlop Yeah, my experience with issues like this in the past has always been positive, and I think I developed a bit of a false sense of security, believing that it would always be handled the same in the future. I'm just glad it was for such a small amount.

I do think Chase is one of the better CC companies overall for customer service based on my past experiences with Chase, Wells Fargo, Capital One, and American Express. And I don't expect most people would get as unlucky as I did here. But just for me personally, I don't see how I could feel OK about keeping any Chase accounts active after going through this, whatever the reasons were.

Your situation is not routine. You write that you have a visual print of people using the card in person, while Chase verifies with you a new card activated. So how can that be. You write that you put that card in your wallet.

At this point I believe Chase is thinking what I am thinking. Who has access to your wallet? Since you are saying you have no responsibility they are giving up on you because you may be one of those people who loans out your card or you act irresponsibly by not knowing where your wallet is. 

It is coming back to you due to the things that you have said.

Think that through and see if you have more info to add. If you  closed your accounts without really wanting to you are making emotional decisions in place of financial decisions.

The same circumstances as you have laid out would not play well with most banks as it suggest you are conducting yourself in a risky manner. How did you activate a card someone else had in there hand that day.

Hopefully you will realise that management of the accounts is essential even if you are not currently using an account much.

Good Luck

Message 23 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@notmyname There are two things I want to correct about what you said:

1) The card was not activated the same day that someone else had it. It was activated in mid-May and then used in early June, meaning something happened to it during the time between those dates.

2) I closed the accounts because I wanted to close them after thinking it through, not as a knee-jerk reaction. I still think Chase is a good company overall, but my own relationship with Chase was no longer good once they started accusing me of lying (and presumably also flagged me as a problem customer).

On the rest, I can't deny that the circumstances are confusing.

Message 24 of 33
notmyname
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

1) The card was not activated the same day that someone else had it. It was activated in mid-May and then used in early June, meaning something happened to it during the time between those dates.

2) I closed the accounts because I wanted to close them after thinking it through, not as a knee-jerk reaction. I still think Chase is a good company overall, but my own relationship with Chase was no longer good once they started accusing me of lying (and presumably also flagged me as a problem customer).

I did not write that the card was used on the same day of activation.

You closed all of your accounts due to this one incident. Did Chase really call you a liar?

Message 25 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I really don't get the disbelief from some (although Chase is obviously has an issue!)   From time to time, cards have fallen from my wallet (before I went mobile pay) and while I picked them all up (I hope) it's always possible that one gets lost or that you don't notice when one falls out somehow.   If OP had "lent" has card to someone knowingly, it would have been odd to go to the lengths to get the video, and if an acquaintance had taken it, OP might have recognized them from the video.   Plus, doing all this for $25.

And I fully understand cancelling the cards.    This isn't like the common concerns "Didn't give me a CLI/didn't give me a Visa Sig upgrade/hate the design of the replacement card" etc.   They won't refund the money and don't believe him.  The issuer would have to have HUGE advantages to want to continue the relationship in that situation

Message 26 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@notmyname wrote:

I did not write that the card was used on the same day of activation.

No you didn't, but you did write:

You write that you have a visual print of people using the card in person, while Chase verifies with you a new card activated. So how can that be. You write that you put that card in your wallet.

Which hardly needs much of an explanation when viewed as "At some point the card is activated and put in a wallet.  Some weeks later, the card is used by someone else"

Message 27 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@notmyname  Sorry if I misunderstood. I was responding to where you said:

How did you activate a card someone else had in there hand that day.

It sounded like you believed I activated the card the same day it was lost/stolen.

RE: being called a liar—Chase never told me they thought I had been negligent with controlling possession of the card. Instead, they wrote: "You received benefit from this transaction." For that kind of statement to be made in response to a claim of fraud, yeah, it's an accusation of lying.

Message 28 of 33
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Please refrain from making baseless accusations. 

OP told their story looking for advice and guidance due to unusual dispute outcome, not to be called liar for absolutely no reason. 

This is accomplishing absolutely nothing other than inciting arguments and that part is covered here  

Message 29 of 33
notmyname
Regular Contributor

OP said that Chase called Him/Her a liar; I did not read anyone else suggest such. I post this due to you possibly misinterpreting what I posted.

I also tried to explain to OP that having admitted activating the card, how did it come to be in the hands of others three weeks later. I believe if he had not immediately closed the account and stopped communicating he might have gotten somewhere with this. They did explain his actions kept them from being able to credit the account.

I believe my efforts have been to try and see what he may have over looked. Sorry if you or anyone else did not approve of my view of the situation. I personally feel there was something here from which others might learn.

Thank you, and again best wishes to the OP.

@Remedios wrote:

Please refrain from making baseless accusations. 

OP told their story looking for advice and guidance due to unusual dispute outcome, not to be called liar for absolutely no reason. 

This is accomplishing absolutely nothing other than inciting arguments and that part is covered here  

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.