Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase FU Upgraded to Signature!

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Chase FU Upgraded to Signature!

There is little practical difference between Visa and Visa Sig. when things become super common like Visa signature is now, it’s not like they can offer very exclusive benefits. Some people just enjoy the little things like getting an upgrade, but most of us don’t use the benefits anyway.
Message 11 of 16
VanderSnoot
Established Contributor

That's what I'm reading. Still, happy to know what I could be using my cards for, but am not.

Message 12 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
There is little practical difference between Visa and Visa Sig. when things become super common like Visa signature is now, it’s not like they can offer very exclusive benefits. Some people just enjoy the little things like getting an upgrade, but most of us don’t use the benefits anyway.

Agreed. Visa simply doesn't get a big enough share of the fees to offer great benefits. Image is much less expensive than substance. With few exceptions, good benefits come from the issuer and often require the payment of an annual fee. The Visa Infinite airfare discount is nice but is offered at the discretion of the issuing bank.

Think about it...how many threads are there about wanting/getting Signature vs. people reporting a great experience using the benefits?

@coldfusion 

Although my history isn't long enough to have personally experienced it, I've heard others say Chase was issuing cards with soft CLs before Visa Signature even existed.

Also, I've heard Barclays doesn't give a "tier upgrade" on any of their cards, not just Uber. At least, my Sallie Mae Platinum MC stayed Platinum when it autoCLI-ed over $5k.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 13 of 16
zerofire
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was recently approved for a CSP (https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Chase-TRIFECTA-ACHIEVED-over-5-24/td-p/5623326) and have now re-allocated some CL to my FU to upgrade it to VS. Shoutout to the CSR who was able to process the reallocation and issue the VS card immediately! (The first time I did not have to HUCA about any Visa Signature-related question wih any lender!)

Chase is a massive behemoth of a bank. They might be slow sometimes but they are not brain dead. Most banks have figured out that customers that know about the differences between Visa Classic, Visa Signature, and Visa Infinite will not let the upgrade slide past them until it is convenient for the bank. Over time there has been a small section of upgraded consumers that became a unnecessary call in category that Chase can fix with $0.50 of fresh plastic and a small donation to the USPS . To compensate Chase has evolved to just pay the small charge to make you get off the phone the first time and be happy. It is a cheap way to get good will, which is priceless. You are happy about it after all, right?

Something similar happened to me when Chase started to give out contactless cards. I called in and asked to be upgraded and the rep knew he just had to issue a fresh card. I got two fresh plastic rectangles in the mail in short order, stopped calling and using up rep time. The cards cost less than the rep's time for a bank. Amateur accountant can tell you to just pay for the plastic to cut costs.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 14 of 16
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

First off, Congrats OP!

I just recently upgraded my BoA AAA Rewards to VS. (Having a $65K limit on a Visa Platinum just seems weird.) Anyhow, I had to be transferred to underwriting and asked a myriad of questions about income, employment, etc. (The girl was very pleasant and based right in Brea, CA!) She put in the request for VS status and dropped my APR by 2% while I had her on the line. It took about 20 days for my log in to start showing signature instead of platinum.

I requested Chase to upgrade my FU to VS and it was instant. Same with Elan Financial...

BBVA's CSR was clueless as to what VS was? He kept thinking I was asking for a CLI.. I told him NO! LOL! No HARD PULLS! I just want to know if Clearpoints is available as Visa Signature??? Then he said I needed to call Visa themselves! Uhh no, then he puts me on hold and comes back and tells me "Use the card a lot, travel and make large payments, then it will happen automatically.."  At this point I was starting to smell the fertilizer, so I gave up.

Message 15 of 16
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@ChargedUp wrote:

First off, Congrats OP!

I just recently upgraded my BoA AAA Rewards to VS. (Having a $65K limit on a Visa Platinum just seems weird.) Anyhow, I had to be transferred to underwriting and asked a myriad of questions about income, employment, etc. (The girl was very pleasant and based right in Brea, CA!) She put in the request for VS status and dropped my APR by 2% while I had her on the line. It took about 20 days for my log in to start showing signature instead of platinum.

I requested Chase to upgrade my FU to VS and it was instant. Same with Elan Financial...

BBVA's CSR was clueless as to what VS was? He kept thinking I was asking for a CLI.. I told him NO! LOL! No HARD PULLS! I just want to know if Clearpoints is available as Visa Signature??? Then he said I needed to call Visa themselves! Uhh no, then he puts me on hold and comes back and tells me "Use the card a lot, travel and make large payments, then it will happen automatically.."  At this point I was starting to smell the fertilizer, so I gave up.

Many banks make it a hassle and/or are clueless about it, and since the perks are not that great anyway, it's questionable how much effort it's worth.

There are lots of threads about wanting/getting Signature upgrades, but very few if any about a Signature benefit being used.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.