Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom 2013 Category

tag
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom 2013 Category

Just buy 1500 in VR cards and unload them to your bank account with bluebird. Done, Next.....
Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 41 of 49
FrugalRican
Blogger

@ccnewcc wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

Can't you buy groceries at drugstores like walgreens?  Sure some products can be more expensive at drugstores than at supermarkets, but if the groceries you buy at the drugstore are coded properly (and I am willing to bet they will be and everything will be fine) to qualify for the 5% CB then it might still be worth it if the 5% back will be net positive.

You'd spend more covering the difference than you would make back in cash back.

Not worth it.

Well I would like to know how you came up with that.  Sound certain, don't you?

Idk, im just saying that if i had the card I'd be doing some calculations and comparing prices before i completely dismiss the idea of shopping at walgreens and giving up 5% CB.

VERY certain.

Let's say you buy two jars of peanut butter at CVS (I bought one at Shoprite last night).

Right now CVS had it on "sale" for 2 for $5.00 ---> $2.50 each.

I got the same one at Shoprite on non-sale for $2.29.

If I buy 2, I'm getting it for 2 for $4.58.

Now if I were worried about cash back...

CVS: .25 ($5.00 X .05)

Shoprite: .05 ($5.00 X .01 - Assuming I might have used a card with just 1% since groceries aren't a category)

CVS = 5.00 - .25 = 4.75

Shoprite = 4.58 - .05 = 4.53

Yeah, I got more cashback, but I spent more trying to get that cashback for an item on sale versus an item not on sale.

And this adds up the more you buy other stuff at drug stores unless it's previously labeled like potato chips and most breads.

Even then, you might be adding onto "opportunity costs" by wasting more gas (unless your pharmacy is right next to the supermarket) and time in trying to figure out how to maximize your cashback on the very few items that might be equally priced.

I'm not saying there aren't common items, equally priced, because there can be. I'm just saying, it's a hell of a headache to try and figure out which ones are and which ones aren't for a few extra cents in cashback .vs. spending more altogether.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 42 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's a VR card & what is Bluebird?

Message 43 of 49
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

NO GROCERY??????? figures. wouldn't be suprised if discover and citi do the same. i would LOVE it though if citi does grocery for a quarter! they did medical bills earlier, wouldn't it be great if they do grocery this time.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 44 of 49
flowfaster
Established Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

NO GROCERY??????? figures. wouldn't be suprised if discover and citi do the same. i would LOVE it though if citi does grocery for a quarter! they did medical bills earlier, wouldn't it be great if they do grocery this time.

Grocery is never really an "official" category for Discover.  But for the past two years Discover just springs the grocery category out of no where (usually in june).  Discover keeps it fresh with all the bonus days and promotions.  Look for Discover to step it up in 2013.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 45 of 49
Tran92
Regular Contributor

My friend was wondering if this applies to any gas stations like Costco gas station?
TU 746 (10/13)
GOAL: 750+

Message 46 of 49
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Tran92 wrote:
My friend was wondering if this applies to any gas stations like Costco gas station?

considering Costco doesn't take anything but Amex nope, Sams club doesn't take Visa or Amex

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 47 of 49
Tran92
Regular Contributor

Well I know that Costco accepts visa if its a debit card. Just wasn't sure about a credit card. Also can it be any Amex card or just the true earnings?
TU 746 (10/13)
GOAL: 750+

Message 48 of 49
HiLine
Blogger

@flowfaster wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

Grocery is never really an "official" category for Discover.  But for the past two years Discover just springs the grocery category out of no where (usually in june).  Discover keeps it fresh with all the bonus days and promotions.  Look for Discover to step it up in 2013.

+1. Discover has really stepped up their rewards and benefits structure recently.

Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.