cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom 5% Bonus Categories going away?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom 5% Bonus Categories going away?

This blows. I just was reunited with my Freedom and looked forward to rotating it with my Discover Card. If I do change it to the FU then my QS is outta here.

Message 31 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be sad if this happens - just got my Chase Freedom + CSP combo less than a month ago, and I'm really liking it so far.

One potential source of optimism for us Freedom lovers: the Chase prequal site seems to only be showing offers for Slate, Freedom, and CSP so far; no Freedom Unlimited (at least in my experience - correct me if I'm wrong). One would think that they would replace the Freedom with the Freedom Unlimited there if this were the case, thus 'nudging' us towards applying for the Unlimited instead of the regular Freedom.

Message 32 of 47
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I would be sad if this happens - just got my Chase Freedom + CSP combo less than a month ago, and I'm really liking it so far.

One potential source of optimism for us Freedom lovers: the Chase prequal site seems to only be showing offers for Slate, Freedom, and CSP so far; no Freedom Unlimited (at least in my experience - correct me if I'm wrong). One would think that they would replace the Freedom with the Freedom Unlimited there if this were the case, thus 'nudging' us towards applying for the Unlimited instead of the regular Freedom.

Don't borrow trouble as there's nothing we can do.  At this point it's just a rumor conflated with an obvious marketing change on the website... and AFAIK I don't recall seeing the Freedom on the 4 card branch display they use either admittedly but I'll double-check when I go back in a week or two to pick up that pre-approval that is allegedly on file.

I'm not giving up my Freedom till they take it away from me, and I will be opening up a FU anyway in short order as it replaces my non-JCB accepting default spend places... like most of my bills, sadly as I'm well into the 3% tier on JCB heh.

        
Message 33 of 47
core
Valued Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

I know and understand that some forum members feel that APR is not important if someone is going to PIF anyway, but for me a sky-high APR that is close to department store card APRs (again even with PIF) tells me that intrinsically, the issuing bank does not value me very highly as a customer.

It would be fine with me if a bank doesn't value me as a customer.  It just makes me want to take more of their money from them, in the form of 5% cash back.  Kick 'em right where it hurts if you're not fond of the bank.

Message 34 of 47
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

I feel real sympathy for the forum members who loved using their Freedom cards and are sad to see it possibly going away, but tbh, I was never that fond of my own Freedom card.  The APR was just way too high for me to enjoy using it much.  And I do PIF monthly on the great majority of my rewards cards, but even then my other rewards cards have significantly lower APRs than my Freedom, so it is the other cards that get my regular business.  I know and understand that some forum members feel that APR is not important if someone is going to PIF anyway, but for me a sky-high APR that is close to department store card APRs (again even with PIF) tells me that intrinsically, the issuing bank does not value me very highly as a customer.  My Freedom APR is currently 23.24% V and has anywhere to go but up as prime rate increases over time (who knows, maybe in time it may actually reach 30%+?), so for me, Chase Freedom is essentially a no-go...

I guess to me the APR is basically just psychological because I wouldn't be carrying a balance even at 15% or 13% unless I really had to. Paying interest for everyday purchases isn't something I strive to do, so 23% vs 15% or whatever is more about my ego and less about anything that actually matters. Rewards cards in general are not the tool for carrying balances; if you do, you're losing the value of your rewards no matter what the interest rate.

I know the higher APRs feel insulting but to me, that's about all they do. They feel insulting. I will never pay 23% if I can help it so it really doesn't matter.

I think it's not about Chase not valuing you, I think it's just that rewards cards have higher APRs in general, and again, even if the range is 13-23%, none of those rates are attractive for borrowing money.

As mentioned elsewhere in the the thread Chase is pretty much impossible to get an APR reduction with; they simply don't do it other than maybe by some very freak occasional random "reviews" but nothing you can request.

Message 35 of 47
Aahz
Established Contributor

@Runitup wrote:
If true, I got no use for Chase except for the occasional BT.

I've felt the exact same way for over a year now.  Ever since they introduced 5/24 last May. Smiley Sad

Message 36 of 47
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

I hope not. The Freedom, CSP, and FU is a real power combo. There were reports when the FU was released that it would replace the Freedom, which were incorrect at the time. So best we can do is wait and see if any of these rumors are credible and whether Chase grandfathers the Freedom. Regardless, I can think of worse things than a 1.5UR general spend card.
Message 37 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope they dont change it. I already have Quicksilver and NFCU CashRewards. No need for another 1.5% card if thats the route they take.

Message 38 of 47
corradovr6
Contributor

i've never been in the situation that a card gets discontinued and it gets automaticly turned into something else. i'm guessing it's not eligible for the sign up bonuses?

discover-$27,400 freedom vs-$7,000 credit union-$8,200 Blispay-$I make more money than them Tran-785 Exp-784 Equ-797
Message 39 of 47
Samac
Regular Contributor

Looking at their website it seems to me they're just promoting their new card over their old one. Freedom unlimited is on the first screen, but clicking on all it becomes the second one listed.
It also seems like if they know they're going to do this now they would stop people who already have a freedom from getting the freedom unlimited, or changing a freedom unlimited to a normal freedom (like one person has said here).

As long as apps are still happening I'm not worried, but once they stop I'm not going to be a happy camper.
Message 40 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.