Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Apply Now or Wait ?

tag
lmhenry1
Contributor

Chase Freedom Apply Now or Wait ?

Does anyone know when Chase typically releases their 2020 5% rotating lineup ? I want to apply for the card but im waiting to see if the restaurants category will be included in 2020 . I’m torn between the chase freedom and and the Discover it Card. I have a feeling the $200 SUB for the freedom is going to go down to $150 soon. The Discover it 1st year cash back match seems like a sub in and of itself but I’d have to spend a minimum of 10K In for fist year to match $200 chase currently gives for a SUB for freedom .
American Express BCP - $30,000

NFCU More Rewards Amex $25,000

BOA Cash Rewards VISA Signature $25,000

Advantage Aviator Red World Mastercard - $15,150

Southwest Priority Rapid Rewards - $15,000

Chase Freedom -$8,400
Wells Fargo Propel Amex - $7,500
Total CL - $126,050

Future Goals Chase Trifecta
A Discover Card to have as a compliment to Chase Freedom Card
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Apply Now or Wait ?

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on a single year's calendar. It changes from year to year and there is the quarterly spend cap. 5% cards can be great but the value comes in keeping them for a long time.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 24
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

I believe, and I could be mistaken, that the Q1 categories *should* be released around 12/15 or so. I have never seen them release the full year ahead of time. 

Message 3 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

My math might be bad but 10k to get $200 from Discover in 1st year? Something doesnt add up there.
Message 4 of 24
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
My math might be bad but 10k to get $200 from Discover in 1st year? Something doesnt add up there.

I thought so too but I'm assuming some math was done on their situation to determine a base average of 2% over the year.

Message 5 of 24
lmhenry1
Contributor

Yes .10k*1% (non category spend) =100 * 2 (Cashback Match for Discover 1st yr) =200 . Sorry for the omission.
American Express BCP - $30,000

NFCU More Rewards Amex $25,000

BOA Cash Rewards VISA Signature $25,000

Advantage Aviator Red World Mastercard - $15,150

Southwest Priority Rapid Rewards - $15,000

Chase Freedom -$8,400
Wells Fargo Propel Amex - $7,500
Total CL - $126,050

Future Goals Chase Trifecta
A Discover Card to have as a compliment to Chase Freedom Card
Message 6 of 24
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Keep in mind on the Discover It you get 10% for the first year on all the 5% categories and you know ahead of time what the categories are (they are already published).
The Chase Freedom just doesn’t compare to the Discover It for the first year, even with the $200 SUB.
After that, that are pretty even.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 7 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I know in my two years of cash back , i came close to making over 200 with my spend and their match and i dont even max categories. Now i currently have Chrome snd am currently about $73 cb with 3 months to go so im at least making $140 and no way am i even close to spending 10k. If i could spend 10k on a cc woo boy id be living the lifeSmiley Happy for me anywaysSmiley Wink
Message 8 of 24
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I’m sure this year will be probably the most cash back I’ll ever earn in one year on one card, but we’re on pace to have funneled over $47K through our Discover It this year, and we’re going to end up with over $1400 in cash back this year. I earned a little cash back on my Summit Racing card too, due to the $50 dollar to spend $250 offers they had this year.

We should earn more overall this year because of the $300 SUB on my new BCP, $100 SUB on the new BBVA, and $50 SUB on the new PPMC, but the money will be spread out over 5 cards instead of basically just one.

My plan for around this time next year is to get the Discover Miles card and get 3% for the first year in it. 😁
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 9 of 24
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Get the Freedom because the bonus is so easy. Then in three to six months, grab Discover and plan on no new cards for a year. Discover is a great gardening card because you wouldn't be competing with any other signup bonuses.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.