Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Apply Now or Wait ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom Apply Now or Wait ?

Even without knowing the calendar, I would get the Freedom. It is a no AF card, so nothing to really lose but inq points. Moreover, getting Chase first if you are near 5/24 is usually a deciding factor as well.
Message 11 of 24
lmhenry1
Contributor

@JNA1 Are referring to the discover deals program that they retired last year ? I’ve read their website and see no mention of 10% for the first year on the 5% categories. Or do you mean those 5% category purchases get you 10% cash back due to cash back match?
American Express BCP - $30,000

NFCU More Rewards Amex $25,000

BOA Cash Rewards VISA Signature $25,000

Advantage Aviator Red World Mastercard - $15,150

Southwest Priority Rapid Rewards - $15,000

Chase Freedom -$8,400
Wells Fargo Propel Amex - $7,500
Total CL - $126,050

Future Goals Chase Trifecta
A Discover Card to have as a compliment to Chase Freedom Card
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think they mean cash back match, which effectively works as 10%
Message 13 of 24
lmhenry1
Contributor

Great suggestion I like it @ HeavenOhio that’s an interesting observation do you have both cards the Chase freedom and discover it ? do you find that a lot of the categories overlap . Have you run into any issues with a merchant not accepting discover vs Visa which the freedom runs on ?

Chase Freedom -$8,400
Total CL - $126,050

Message 14 of 24
lmhenry1
Contributor

Has anyone gotten any really great offers this year on their Chase Freedom my offers ? It sucks that discover Nerfed their version of it last year it would’ve made this decision a lot easier . Also I really wanna get to see CSP in the future to get the chase trifecta but I really just don’t wanna pay annual fee right now since I’m not traveling heavily at the moment it would essentially be a fancy metal 2% restaurant card for me .

Chase Freedom -$8,400
Total CL - $126,050

Message 15 of 24
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Yes, you get cash back match for the 1st year, so whatever you get in the 5% category becomes 10% after the 12th statement.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 16 of 24
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I don't have either of the cards. Smiley Happy

We've seen categories overlap occasionally. I don't think it happens enough that it should stop you from having both cards if they both appeal to you. It simply gives you a second option.

I have an AMEX card, and like Discover, its acceptance is less than Mastercard and Visa. That's no big deal if you're armed with a Mastercard or Visa when you encounter those situations. AMEX and Discover cardholders expect the card to not be accepted from time to time.

Message 17 of 24
JNA1
Valued Contributor

I don’t have the Chase card to compare offers, but I can tell you that Discover has some pretty good offers. I got a $20 cash back bonus for paying my cell phone bill twice with them and you can redeem your cash back for a bunch of gift cards for $20 for a $25 card and $40 for a $50 card on some of them. I picked up a few of over the year, but only when it made sense.

For me, the only Chase that somewhat appeals to me is the Freedom, but it’s way down my list. I’ll probably eventually pick it up for the SUB and 5% categories, but for someone like myself who doesn’t fly or travel, the triple HP to apply and HP CLI’s just moves it down my list. I have nothing against Chase, it’s just that most of their cards aren’t a great fit for me and are limited IMO.

Of all my cards so far, I have to say that I like Discover best. Their site is awesome, their CSRs are very easy to work with, and I’ve only had 2 gas stations and 2 restaurants in nearly a year of having it that did not accept Discover. 99% of the places I’ve tried it works. I really really wish Discover had a flat 2% (or more!😁) card!

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 18 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

47k on a Disco?🤯 holy mother milk of magnesia Batman! They should give a 20k cli aloneSmiley Wink
Message 19 of 24
JNA1
Valued Contributor

@averagejoescredit

You would think, right?😂 Yet Miss Disco continues to be stingy with me!

We pretty much funneled every dollar we spent this year (besides mortgage, car payments) through the card, because we just had the one card. I have an antique car restoration project that I’m working on and do some side work on cars as well, so some of that spend is from that. Might as well make CB on that too though, right?

CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.