Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Apply Now or Wait ?

tag
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Apply Now or Wait ?

We don't have the Chase card yet, but we are in our 1st year of the Disco IT.  Love the card with the first year match that it has.  I plan on having my wife app for the IT when the cashback match runs out on my IT in a few months.

Also of note, I usually just use my cashback rewards as statement credit for my cards.  However, while looking through the options that Disco has for redemption, I was overwhelmed with the options they provide with egift cards!  Needed some stuff for a bathroom remodel (water damage, so EXTENSIVE undertaking) and used our cashback points for Lowes gift cards at 15% savings.  Just used some Disco rewards towards some store gift cards at 20% savings.

I agree with the others, though.  Go for the Chase first, and then get the Disco IT a bit later.

Message 21 of 24
lmhenry1
Contributor

Thank you for sharing . I would’ve known never these awesome gift card discounts and redemption options unless I was a Cardmember .
American Express BCP - $30,000

NFCU More Rewards Amex $25,000

BOA Cash Rewards VISA Signature $25,000

Advantage Aviator Red World Mastercard - $15,150

Southwest Priority Rapid Rewards - $15,000

Chase Freedom -$8,400
Wells Fargo Propel Amex - $7,500
Total CL - $126,050

Future Goals Chase Trifecta
A Discover Card to have as a compliment to Chase Freedom Card
Message 22 of 24
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:
I don’t have the Chase card to compare offers, but I can tell you that Discover has some pretty good offers. I got a $20 cash back bonus for paying my cell phone bill twice with them and you can redeem your cash back for a bunch of gift cards for $20 for a $25 card and $40 for a $50 card on some of them. I picked up a few of over the year, but only when it made sense.

For me, the only Chase that somewhat appeals to me is the Freedom, but it’s way down my list. I’ll probably eventually pick it up for the SUB and 5% categories, but for someone like myself who doesn’t fly or travel, the triple HP to apply and HP CLI’s just moves it down my list. I have nothing against Chase, it’s just that most of their cards aren’t a great fit for me and are limited IMO.

Of all my cards so far, I have to say that I like Discover best. Their site is awesome, their CSRs are very easy to work with, and I’ve only had 2 gas stations and 2 restaurants in nearly a year of having it that did not accept Discover. 99% of the places I’ve tried it works. I really really wish Discover had a flat 2% (or more!😁) card!

I have never heard of Chase triple-pulling for app or CLI. As far as I know, CapOne is stand-alone when it comes to this in the industry. 

In any case, I feel Discover would do itself justice to experiment with a flat 2% card- on the low end. I think they are overdue for expanding their customers' options. I.e. how Cash Match is a great alternative to traditional SUBs, they could easily make their deck exciting while all other issuers are basically cloning one- another. Just my humble opinion. 

Message 23 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@SoCalifornia wrote:

@JNA1 wrote:

For me, the only Chase that somewhat appeals to me is the Freedom, but it’s way down my list. I’ll probably eventually pick it up for the SUB and 5% categories, but for someone like myself who doesn’t fly or travel, the triple HP to apply and HP CLI’s just moves it down my list. I have nothing against Chase, it’s just that most of their cards aren’t a great fit for me and are limited IMO.

I have never heard of Chase triple-pulling for app or CLI. As far as I know, CapOne is stand-alone when it comes to this in the industry. 

Yes, while double pulls for apps on Chase are not that uncommon, triple for Chase would certainly be.

Not really mentioned but the big differentiator between Freedom and Discover after the first year comes when you get a Chase transfer card.  Then the URs become more valuable when used for travel, min of 1.25c with CSP, 1.5c with CSR and potentially more with the right redemption.   Discover points stay at 1c.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.