Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Calendar v.s. Discover Calendar

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom Calendar v.s. Discover Calendar

@Anonymous wrote:

Personally it's already complex enough to keep up with credit cards and which date the statement they closes, having to keep up with ridiculous rotating schedules for an extra 2% (you can find a card with 3% in which ever category you use most) is too much. 

I'm with the people who believe it wont be long before they move to month to month rotating schedules along with requiring you remember to "add" the reward to your card each month, just so they can avoid actually paying most people the rewards they offered.

I want a card (that I can actually get) that gives 5% to 2 category's of your choice with no FTF and no Annual fee and the downsides being no bonus sign up and no intro apr reductions, hell even a super 20%> apr wouldn't bother me since the whole point is to never pay interest anyway.

My slightly related .02 cents

Monthly rotating categories?! Bring it on! lol

Seriously, I really don't mind the rotating categories with signup. I look at it this way: if not for the 5% rotating cards, I'd just use my Fidelity 2% card for everything. If I screw up and use the wrong card for a category, or forget to register for the bonus period, I'm losing 1% on those transactions versus using my 2% card. But if I get it right, I'm gaining 3% on those purchases over using my 2% card. So to break even, I only have to get the quarterly categories right 25% of the time to make the 5% card worth it. In fact, I bat more like 98% right.

Now, sometimes they throw me a curve ball. For example, I just got a letter yesterday for my Citi ThankYou card giving me 5% cashback through the end of Q1 (in addition to the normal 1 TYP) on Department Stores, Electronic Stores, Clothing Stores and Toy Stores. Great, except I already signed up my USBank Cash+ for Department Stores and Electronic Stores for Q1. Had I known this Citi offer was coming, I wouldn't have burned those Cash+ categories! But hey, it's all part of the game.

Chris.

Message 11 of 17
Gggmen
Valued Member

Tell us how u really feel 😂

Chase FU 5k-Chase F 3k-Discover IT 3250- BofA 2k-Macys store card 3k.

No need for anymore cards. Garden and see where that takes me.
Message 12 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Personally it's already complex enough to keep up with credit cards and which date the statement they closes, having to keep up with ridiculous rotating schedules for an extra 2% (you can find a card with 3% in which ever category you use most) is too much. 

I'm with the people who believe it wont be long before they move to month to month rotating schedules along with requiring you remember to "add" the reward to your card each month, just so they can avoid actually paying most people the rewards they offered.

I want a card (that I can actually get) that gives 5% to 2 category's of your choice with no FTF and no Annual fee and the downsides being no bonus sign up and no intro apr reductions, hell even a super 20%> apr wouldn't bother me since the whole point is to never pay interest anyway.

My slightly related .02 cents

If you are always PIF (and you say never pay interest) just put all cards on PIF on due date, and then the first part of the load goes away (I have no idea when my statements close), allowing you, if you wish, to focus on the once a quarter changes on a handful of cards.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand its preference, I suppose my goals are to make my cards simple and effortless to use with clear benefits and that is not what everyone wants.

I'm sure some people get a kick out of maximizing rewards,  but I spend enough time already keeping up with them lol.

I'm sure it really asking too much for a simple 5% gas and restaurant card and maybe a 5% department and grocery card or something to that effect.

Message 14 of 17
python0704
New Contributor

Just saw Discover April - June 2017 5% on Home Improvement Stores & Wholesale Clubs, think I might finally get the card and stock up Costco cash cards for the first two quarters.

Message 15 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

How does buying cash cards from Costco count toward DiscoverIT 5% category? Just trying to figure out how this works and how to go about doing it. Thank you.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 16 of 17
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand its preference, I suppose my goals are to make my cards simple and effortless to use with clear benefits and that is not what everyone wants.

I'm sure some people get a kick out of maximizing rewards,  but I spend enough time already keeping up with them lol.

I'm sure it really asking too much for a simple 5% gas and restaurant card and maybe a 5% department and grocery card or something to that effect.

Autopay be, like, effortless.

US Bank Cash+ lets you choose 5% on Department stores, as well as adding Sporting Goods if so inclined.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.