cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom/Flex rotating category announced.

tag
summerterrace
Regular Contributor

Chase Freedom/Flex rotating category announced.

The categories for second quarter are Amazon and select streaming services.  Not super useful this time of year but you can set it and forget it for those 3 months. 

US Bank Altitude Reserve, Delta Gold Am Ex, PenFed Power Cash Rewards, PenFed Pathfinder, Navy Federal Flagship, Chase Freedom, IHG Rewards Club Premier, Marriott Bonvoy Premier
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom/Flex rotating category announced.

Wish they would add Target.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 17
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

Thank you first of all for sharing this info! I'm appreciative to you for sharing this!

With all that said, I'm disappointed with this. Makes for another wasted quarter for me personally.  Quarter 1 I didn't spend any on the Chase Freedom for groceries or EBay because I use the Amex Blue Cash Preferred for 6% groceries and I don't really use EBay.  Now for quarter 2 with me having streaming at 6% on the Blue Cash Preferred and 5% on my Amazon Prime card for Amazon purchases, I won't get much use out of the Freedom next quarter either. Hopefully I can get some use out of the Freedom in quarter 3!😩🙏🏾

Message 3 of 17
Jordan23ww
Valued Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Wish they would add Target.

@UpperNwGuy  in case you're interested, Discover It has Target and Gas as 5% categories for quarter 2!

Message 4 of 17
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

This is great for not overlapping with Disco for Q2! The categories aren't the best for me since I already get unlimited 5% back with my Amazon Prime Visa and spend less than $20 a month on streaming services, so the physical card will be going in the sock drawer.

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 5 of 17
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

Hmm, I plan to make a couple of Amazon purchases in the next couple of months (I'm an infrequent Amazon shopper and don't have Amazon Prime), though I was also intending to use the Citi Sears Mastercard to make them as qualifying transactions towards the "make three purchases of $50 or more in a calendar month, receive $60 statement credit" promotion.  Oh well for the latter - I'll find other transactions that meet the Citi Sears credit card promotion.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 6 of 17
Remedios
Credit Mentor

This is as exciting as watching metronome 😐

Then again, I just described myself. 

Message 7 of 17
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I bet they have gone this route in part because of the 5x gas promotional offer on new CFF/CFU cards.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 8 of 17
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Citylights18 wrote:

I bet they have gone this route in part because of the 5x gas promotional offer on new CFF/CFU cards.

Well, majority of those approved in the last 6 months have 5% on groceries and yet this is grocery quarter.  

Message 9 of 17
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Meh... I already get 5% cash on those categories with other cards.  Freedom might go to the sock drawer this quarter.  Or I don't know... maybe I'll put those on Freedom so I'll have UR points in case I get that CSP later this year.

Now I just need Affinity to announce their quarterly categories so I can strategize.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.