Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Flex top spend category

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Flex top spend category

@Aim_High wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:  I hope this becomes something they continue, but ugh at all the trouble I went through for the last 3 months to obtain the custom cash. 

+1  That's kind of what I was talking about too, @Anonymous  (except I didn't get Citi Custom Cash.)  You're kind of like me in not wanting dozens of cards to manage.  We go through the process of selecting ones that seem like a long term fit and then the card market gets shaken up again with changes.  It's annoying when you take hits for inquiries and new accounts only to feel like they weren't necessary in hindsight.   Still, if this change turns into something permanent to compete with CCC, it's a positive change if they'll just leave it alone. 

Yes, but I would much rather things evolve (positively) and have to replan than get stuck!  I don't regret the rise of 2% and 3% everywhere cards, even though they make my decision to get Quicksilver (all those years ago) unnecessary

Get the best cards you can now, and expect/hope that you will be able to get even better ones at some point.

Message 71 of 105
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Let's see, does this work.

Use Kroger Pay with PayPal Key at Kroger. Should get potentially:

4% first year groceries

4% PayPal quarter

4% bonus category

1% everything gets

Works?

Message 72 of 105
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:

4% first year groceries

4% PayPal quarter

4% bonus category

1% everything gets

Works?

The AMEX math checks out to me

Message 73 of 105
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@kilroy8 wrote:

4% first year groceries

4% PayPal quarter

4% bonus category

1% everything gets

Works?

Yep, that should work (I think, anyway).

Get this, Fluz had summarily removed my Paypal Key from my account (they had an update that disallowed Paypal Debit and prepaid cards) but now it's mysteriously there again.  I'm going to play around with using it for Walmart Grocery with the CFF, which in the past has passed-through the grocery MCC. 

Worst-case scenario it will be a few extra steps and I'll get the exact same cash back as I would by just using the card at the register (5%), but the possibility of 9% back at Walmart (with the respective date/amount constraints, of course) it too great to overlook. Smiley Happy

Message 74 of 105
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:   ... We go through the process of selecting ones that seem like a long term fit and then the card market gets shaken up again with changes.  It's annoying when you take hits for inquiries and new accounts only to feel like they weren't necessary in hindsight ...

Yes, but I would much rather things evolve (positively) and have to replan than get stuck!  I don't regret the rise of 2% and 3% everywhere cards, even though they make my decision to get Quicksilver (all those years ago) unnecessary

Get the best cards you can now, and expect/hope that you will be able to get even better ones at some point.

True, @longtimelurker, but I wasn't saying I'd prefer no (positive) changes at all!  My comment was more about the rate-of-change while lenders and FICO scoring make it difficult to apply for a lot of new cards to our profile at one time.  The lenders can turn on a dime but consumers need to think more selectively, and long-term.  I guess I need to get used to it.  I've always had an eye out for financial trends but it's only been in the past couple of years that I've closely followed the credit card industry on My Fico and other web sites.  I had no idea that there was so much frequent change going on!  I also got that Quicksilver and it served a good purpose for several years, at least, before it was overcome by other cards. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 75 of 105
NRB525
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Well, it will make it easier to round out the $1,500 spend.

Right now I would get gas at 9%, as I doubt any other category would fit as PayPal also.

This does need to be weighed vs Custom Cash, as yes, the categories compete.

An interesting problem to sort out Smiley Happy 

After searching in vain for the added bonus on my standard Freedom card, read closer to see it is only Freedom Flex. I've been contemplating the $12k groceries spend bonus, and this stack of earning methods pushed me over the line to apply for Freedom Flex. 

7 to 10 days review.  

Email approval Sunday Smiley Happy

New card should be here this week. 
Now I have to re-read this thread. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 76 of 105
Remedios
Credit Mentor

35 days. 35 long days. Very long days. 

Message 77 of 105
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

It'll be here before you know it ❤️ I'll help you pass the time before your big date! 😜 

Message 78 of 105
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@FinStar wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

It'll be here before you know it ❤️ I'll help you pass the time before your big date! 😜 

Since I'm applying at midnight, I shall wear my best PJs ❤️

Might even wash my hair. 

Message 79 of 105
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Midnight my time, not Standard Delaware Time, right? 

Message 80 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.