Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Flex top spend category

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Flex top spend category

I have CFF in my Paypal. I linked Paypal to Samsung Pay in my phone to possibly get 5% cashback for in store purchases in this quarter. The first test did not work as expected, because Samsung Pay charged my checking account instead of CFF Smiley Very Happy.

The preferred payment method was set to CFF and not sure why it happened. Did anybody try it?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 91 of 105
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

Chase especial offer for FF card holders

The top spend category offer is separate from quarterly bonus category offer, but automatically added to your account when you activate your Q4 bonus categories. You'll earn 5% cash back on up to $1500 in total spend in the eligible rewards category where you spend the most from October 1 – December 31, 2021. That's 4% additional cash back on top of the 1% cash back per $1 USD spent that you earn on all purchases.  Elegible rewards categories:  Travel (including Transit), Dining, Home Improvement Stores, Grocery Stores (not including Target and Walmart purchases), Drugstores, Gas Stations, Select Live Entertainment, Select Streaming Services, Fitness Clubs.  I can only choose one from below, the promo works like Citi custom cash. Dining and drugstores would be 7% cb  Gas 5% Groceries 5% PayPal 9%The top spend category offer is separate from quarterly bonus category offer, but automatically added to your account when you activate your Q4 bonus categories. You'll earn 5% cash back on up to $1500 in total spend in the eligible rewards category where you spend the most from October 1 – December 31, 2021. That's 4% additional cash back on top of the 1% cash back per $1 USD spent that you earn on all purchases. Elegible rewards categories: Travel (including Transit), Dining, Home Improvement Stores, Grocery Stores (not including Target and Walmart purchases), Drugstores, Gas Stations, Select Live Entertainment, Select Streaming Services, Fitness Clubs. I can only choose one from below, the promo works like Citi custom cash. Dining and drugstores would be 7% cb Gas 5% Groceries 5% PayPal 9%

Message 92 of 105
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase especial offer for FF card holders

I guess, the top spend will be limited to one of the categories that Chase mentioned but not all. Therefore, if you do some purchases at pharmacy e.g. 300$ and 1200$ at home improvement stores like HD, only 1200$ would receive the additional 4% cashback. I might be wrong and it is good if somebody can clarify.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 93 of 105
cws-21
Established Contributor

@Taurus22 wrote:

@ngoaa  @MrDisco99   Thank you!  Wanting to keep my eye on the category releases to decide when I want to apply for the Flex.

What's got you interested in the CFF, @Taurus22? How will it fit in your current cash back setup?

Message 94 of 105
NRB525
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Well, it will make it easier to round out the $1,500 spend.

Right now I would get gas at 9%, as I doubt any other category would fit as PayPal also.

This does need to be weighed vs Custom Cash, as yes, the categories compete.

An interesting problem to sort out Smiley Happy 

After searching in vain for the added bonus on my standard Freedom card, read closer to see it is only Freedom Flex. I've been contemplating the $12k groceries spend bonus, and this stack of earning methods pushed me over the line to apply for Freedom Flex. 

7 to 10 days review.  

Email approval Sunday Smiley Happy

New card should be here this week. 
Now I have to re-read this thread. 

Freedom Flex and Freedom were able to max their PayPal categories this quarter. I am not able to try, nor did I want to try to get groceries through any PayPal tricks.

New Account Freedom Flex groceries are doing well on the $12,000 spend. Still lots to spend there.

The Q4 "Highest Category" in CFF Groceries is now met. So in certain stores I can revert to AMEX Gold for a few days.

With the Q1 Freedom Groceries category coming up, I am not sure I could have picked a better time to apply for CFF.

Freedom OG is still doing well, I think I nearly or completely maxed each quarter in 2021.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 95 of 105
celluloid17
Established Contributor

Does anyone know when the extra 4% bonus cash for the additional top spend category will actually post to the account now that we're in the new year?  

Message 96 of 105
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@celluloid17 wrote:

Does anyone know when the extra 4% bonus cash for the additional top spend category will actually post to the account now that we're in the new year?  

It will post to your account within 8 weeks, but probably sooner than that. 

Message 97 of 105
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Still waiting for my bonus points.  Anyone got theirs yet?

Message 98 of 105
Beast26
Frequent Contributor

I'm also still waiting but when I get on the website on my desktop I do see the points pending.

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 99 of 105
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

OK that's funny... I just got mine today.

Message 100 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.