Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Flex top spend category

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Flex top spend category

@NRB525 wrote:

Well, it will make it easier to round out the $1,500 spend.

Right now I would get gas at 9%, as I doubt any other category would fit as PayPal also.

This does need to be weighed vs Custom Cash, as yes, the categories compete.

An interesting problem to sort out Smiley Happy 

After searching in vain for the added bonus on my standard Freedom card, read closer to see it is only Freedom Flex. I've been contemplating the $12k groceries spend bonus, and this stack of earning methods pushed me over the line to apply for Freedom Flex. 

7 to 10 days review.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 51 of 105
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@BRIVERS73 wrote:

Chase is now giving 5% cash back to a top spend category for this quarter in addition to the rotating categories 

https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/chase-freedom-flex-top-spending-category-bonus-earn...

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-freedom-earn-5-on-your-top-category-or-9-on-paypal-up-to-1500-i...

As I see it, this is just a temporary 'Christmas' bonus for the last quarter of this year. So it doesn't really compete with Citi Custom Cash, which offers the limited 'top spend' feature permanently.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 52 of 105
Yankee2
Regular Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@BRIVERS73 wrote:

Chase is now giving 5% cash back to a top spend category for this quarter in addition to the rotating categories 

https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/chase-freedom-flex-top-spending-category-bonus-earn...

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-freedom-earn-5-on-your-top-category-or-9-on-paypal-up-to-1500-i...

As I see it, this is just a temporary 'Christmas' bonus for the last quarter of this year. So it doesn't really compete with Citi Custom Cash, which offers the limited 'top spend' feature permanently.

What I'm hoping is this won't be a temporary thing and they will offer it again or permanently. 

We might be seeing the beginning of the 2nd generation 5% cards.  I think most people would prefer the Custom Cash model and that will drive others to do the same.

Message 53 of 105
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Yankee2 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@BRIVERS73 wrote:

What I'm hoping is this won't be a temporary thing and they will offer it again or permanently. 

We might be seeing the beginning of the 2nd generation 5% cards.  I think most people would prefer the Custom Cash model and that will drive others to do the same.

As long as whatever they do is sustainable long term. (Looking at you Blispay, Uber, etc.)

Message 54 of 105
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Just got the below email:

capture5.GIF

Message 55 of 105
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:

Just got the below email:

capture5.GIF

Yup, it will be a sweet quarter. Love this card already. We also got a 10% offer for Best Buy up to $25 back. Guess our bonus category will be a new TV for the Theater Room. 100 bucks off is pretty good, lol

Message 56 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

This quarter you have Paypal and Walmart, the top spend bonus can stack on top of that. So you can potentially earn 9% on Paypal or Walmart spend. Also since it changed to Flex you get 5% travel portal, 3% Dining and Drugstores. Even without the top spend bonus this is one of the best cards out there. I have not even considered the Citi card, they have a tendency to nerf their benefits (Double Cash for instance) and are not nearly as generous as Chase.

Message 57 of 105
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This quarter you have Paypal and Walmart, the top spend bonus can stack on top of that. So you can potentially earn 9% on Paypal or Walmart spend. Also since it changed to Flex you get 5% travel portal, 3% Dining and Drugstores. Even without the top spend bonus this is one of the best cards out there. 

I think that is a little strong!  The card has low caps per quarter so even if you get 10% this quarter that's only $150, and not everyone is going to max out every quarter.   

The Citi card and this have slightly different implementations, which leads to one being better than the other for different use cases:  Citi is more flexible for those that might have different top categories each month, I can earn on $500 spend per month in that category.   However, if need to spend nearer $1500 in one go, the Chase card allows me to get the full bonus whereas the Citi card would only give me the reward for $500.   (At the other end of the spectrum, the Citi Dividend would allow a full $6000 charge, if you were lucky to have the spend in that quarter's category)

Message 58 of 105
quikj9
Frequent Contributor

I agree with @Anonymous in that the CFF is one of the best cards out there. More specifically, I think it's arguably the best no-AF categorized spend rewards card from a major bank.

If it didn't have FTFs, I'd crown it. 

Message 59 of 105
arunkumarmm
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

This quarter you have Paypal and Walmart, the top spend bonus can stack on top of that. So you can potentially earn 9% on Paypal or Walmart spend. Also since it changed to Flex you get 5% travel portal, 3% Dining and Drugstores. Even without the top spend bonus this is one of the best cards out there. I have not even considered the Citi card, they have a tendency to nerf their benefits (Double Cash for instance) and are not nearly as generous as Chase.

I dont think you can maximize walmart. It will be 5% only. But say for example, you can maximize Gas, using paypal key on BPme app for 9%

Message 60 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.