cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom/Freedom Flex Categories (2013-2021)

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Chase Freedom/Freedom Flex Categories (2013-2021)

For my own reference in planning for category spend, I compiled this listing of the Chase Freedom 5% categories that I think goes all the way back to when it started the rotating categories around Q1 2013.   As far as I know, there's not a central list so I compiled this through researching many different websites.  I thought I'd share it for anyone interested.  It gives a  pretty complete picture of the patterns, typical categories, and what you might expect going forward.   Supposedly, the Freedom FLEX will keep the similar rotating categories but it will be interesting to see how any of that changes.   With the permanent 3% back on restaurants and drug stores, it would seem unlikely for those to return as special categories, though. 

The 5% categories are limited to $1,500 per quarter; $6,000 per year; which works out to $300 cash back annually on 5% categories if you optimize every one.  In addition, 1% on all other purchases, uncapped and uncategorized.

ETA: Special thanks to @Remedios for the NerdWallet link which shows the categories, although not in table format.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/credit-cards/current-credit-card-bonus-categories

*Edited 12/03/2021 to include 2021.

Chase Freedom Categories Summary

Q1

Q2

Q3

Q4

Wholesale clubs

Select streaming services

Internet-cable-phone Services

Gas stations

Home improvement stores

Grocery stores (no discount stores)

Select streaming services

Walmart

PayPal

Gas

Internet-Cable-Phone

Streaming Services(select)

Grocery (no discount stores)**

Fitness/Gym

Amazon

Whole Foods

Walmart

PayPal

Gas

Tolls

Drugstores

Grocery (no discount stores)

Home Improvement

Gas

Department Stores (select)

PayPal

Chase Pay

Gas

Internet-Cable-Phone

Mobile payments***

PayPal

Chase Pay

Gas

Lyft

Walgreens

Wholesale Clubs

Chase Pay

Gas

Local Commuter Transportation*

Grocery*(no discount stores)**

Drugstores

Restaurants

Movie Theatres

Walmart

Gas

Local Commuter Transportation*

Wholesale Clubs

Restaurants

Wholesale Clubs

Wholesale Clubs

Drug Stores

Movie Theatres

Starbucks

Restaurants

Bed Bath Beyond

Overstock.com

H&M Clothing

Gas

Kohl’s

Amazon.com

Zappos.com

Audible.com

Diapers.com

Gas

Movie Theatres

Starbucks

Restaurants

Lowe’s

Gas

Kohl’s

Amazon.com

Zappos.com

Gas

Drugstores

Starbucks

Restaurants

Movie Theatres

Gas

Theme Parks

Kohl’s

Amazon.com

* Local Commuter Transportation excludes Parking, Tolls, Amtrak

** Grocery excludes discount grocery (Walmart, Target)

*** Mobile Payments: Chase Pay, Google Pay, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay

**** Wholesale Clubs such as Sam's, Costco, BJ's

Note: Chase discontinued "Chase Pay" mobile payments after Q4 2019.

Freedom FLEX (09/2020) added:

• Earn 5% cash back on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
  • Earn 3% cash back on dining at restaurants, including takeout and eligible delivery services.
  • Earn 3% cash back on drugstore purchases.
  • Earn 5% cash back on all Lyft rides (through March 2022.)

The "Select Department Stores List" (2017):

• JCPenny®
  • Kohl’s®
  • Macy’s®
  • Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack
  • Sears®
  • Barney’s
  • Baskins
  • Bealls
  • Beiter’s
  • Belk
  • Bergdorf
  • Goodman
  • The Big Store
  • Bloomingdale’s
  • Bon-Ton®
  • Bergner’s®
  • Boston Store®
  • Carson’s®
  • Elder-Beerman®
  • Herbergers®
  • PARISIAN
  • Younkers®
  • Boscov’s®
  • Burke’s®
  • Cayman’s®
  • Cee & Cee Department Store
  • Cook Brothers
  • Dillard’s
  • Flemington Department Store
  • Getz’s®
  • Gumps
  • Jeffery
  • Joe brand
  • Loehmann’s
  • Lord & Taylor
  • Magic Mart
  • Neiman Marcus and NM Last Call
  • RH Renny
  • Saks Fifth Ave and Off 5th
  • Von Maur®
  • Weaver’s Store

Select Streaming Services included Netflix, Hulu, Sling, Vudu, FuboTV, Apple Music, SiriusXM, Pandora and Spotify.

Search tags:  2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom/Freedom Flex Categories (2013-2020)

@Aim_High I do not have chase cards, but this is still extremely useful for others. Thank you!

Message 2 of 24
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Aim_High, Nicely DoneSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 24
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@TheFIGuy wrote:

@Aim_High I do not have chase cards, but this is still extremely useful for others. Thank you!

Thanks @TheFIGuy!  I'm glad to be able to share with the community on our credit journey.  Especially since this took a little sleuth work, it makes it all the more important to share. 

I have mixed feelings about these rotating category cards and sometimes want to be sure they are worth my effort.  In the case of Chase Freedom, it makes it extra hard since I also have Chase Sapphire Reserve.  By moving my cash back on Freedom over to CSR as Ultimate Rewards points, I can redeem them for 50% more value on travel.  So effectively, I get 7.5% return on any rotating category.  That is hard to give up, even if you don't use all the spending cap every quarter!

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 4 of 24
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@TheFIGuy wrote:

Thanks @TheFIGuy!  I'm glad to be able to share with the community on our credit journey.  Especially since this took a little sleuth work, it makes it all the more important to share. 

I have mixed feelings about these rotating category cards and sometimes want to be sure they are worth my effort.  In the case of Chase Freedom, it makes it extra hard since I also have Chase Sapphire Reserve.  By moving my cash back on Freedom over to CSR as Ultimate Rewards points, I can redeem them for 50% more value on travel.  So effectively, I get 7.5% return on any rotating category.  That is hard to give up, even if you don't use all the spending cap every quarter!

If/when I ever decide to abandon the AMEX ecosystem and move over to Chase, I'll be sure to hit you up! I'm really enjoying the 1.25cpp cashout with AMEX CS Platinum, and the current AMEX offers are extremely lucrative. Ex. (AMEX Gold 4x + AMEX Limited referral 3x + AMEX Uber Eats Limited Offer 9x = 16x per $1/spend) then (16x MR x 1.25cpp = 20% cashback invested into my brokerage account "SWTSX"). If the Schwab deal ever falls through, I'll 100% continue banking/investing with them but might jump ship into the Chase ecosystem.

Also, I do enjoy the hidden UTIL% but am bothered that some places don't accept AMEX. Luckily in 2020, many smaller establishments are moving into payment systems like Square, etc., and have AMEX support.

Message 5 of 24
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

2016 was a great year to be a Costco member. Wonder if this category will ever see a comeback now that the Flex being a MC would reduce payouts for 5% on warehouse with Costco being so Visa monogamous...wishful thinking but keeping my Freedom Visa just in case. Another great post @Aim_High, thanks!

Message 6 of 24
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

Instant bookmark-worthy post. Thank you for compiling the information, it’s quite interesting to see priorities change over the years.
Message 7 of 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Nerd wallet maintains a full list of past categories, often in comparison with other cards when it comes to current quarter. 

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/credit-cards/current-credit-card-bonus-categories

Message 8 of 24
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

For Q1 of 2021 my guess is we are getting.......gas! Smiley Happy

What I'm considering now is converting my CFU to a CFF. That way you only need to carry one card in your wallet for the 5% bonus categories and the 3% dining. Then keep my regular CF open for Amazon (probably 1QT), Streaming Services (last year 2QTs) and online 5x spend. Maybe even put bills on it (one quarterly promotion turns 1x into 2x). That would also put your quarterly cap up for 5x points up to 15,000. Last year I prepaid my phone service for the year at 5x

The 1.5% everyday spend on the CFU is only beneficial on non-cat, in store purchases above $30 of which I don't make very many of when I am out shopping. I was putting $200 dollars of bills on the CFU a month which at 1.5x amounts to 100 points a month more over having them on a Freedom line ($100 a month less if there is a quarter for a 5% promotion).

At the moment I'm averaging 3.2x with my Citi Rewards+ across gas, grocery and small spend. A purchase for $11 dollars in non-cat spend on the Citi Rewards+ is worth 20 points and with the CFU its worth 16.5. At $21 dollars its 30 TY points vs. 31.5 UR points.  About $15 dollars is the breakeven point.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 9 of 24
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I don't know why I didn't think of this before but with Paypal looking to be a one quarter a year thing you could put bills and utilities on paypal key and average a 2x on a yearly basis through a Freedom card (even better if they offer it for two quarters).

Makes a CFF/CF combo all that more powerful if you'll get 2x bills through the CF as a SD card due to Paypal.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.