Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom/Freedom Flex Q4 Categories: Paypal and Walmart

tag
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom/Freedom Flex Q4 Categories: Paypal and Walmart

Hello all! I'm just discovering this Paypal Key this. It sounds like a lucrative prospect. 

If I'm understanding this correctly, I would be able to sign up for Plastiq (never used before), fund it with Paypal Key via Chase Freedom, and then have Plastiq pay my mortgage? 

Plastiq has a 2.85% transaction fee so this should net me  2.15% in CB where I would otherwise get none?

Can someone smart in these tricksy ways enlighten me here?

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 21 of 32
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I'm assuming that's only for Walmart online orders. I guess we can wait in suspense another day or two. 

Kinda really weak categories given the holiday season being right around the corner. 

Knowing Chase, it could have been worse, like "Concerts and cruises" 

With paypal key, this basically translates into "Online shopping" so it's OK for me.

True. I'll pick one bill close to $1500 and call it a day. 

Yep, that's what I would do. Pay $1500 to my electric company via paypal, and call it a day.

Definitely not the most exciting categories this quarter, but like you said earlier, at least they picked something relatively easy for most people to max out (not "select streaming services"), and not something affected by covid closures.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 22 of 32
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

Hello all! I'm just discovering this Paypal Key this. It sounds like a lucrative prospect. 

If I'm understanding this correctly, I would be able to sign up for Plastiq (never used before), fund it with Paypal Key via Chase Freedom, and then have Plastiq pay my mortgage? 

Plastiq has a 2.85% transaction fee so this should net me  2.15% in CB where I would otherwise get none?

Can someone smart in these tricksy ways enlighten me here?

That might work, but netting only 2.15% seems like a waste to me. I guess since you can't otherwise get any points from a mortgage payment, then that's kind of neat, but only a good idea if you can't otherwise get the full 5% on $1500 of spend. As noted above, it shouldn't be hard to max out the $1500 paypal spend, with so many places accepting it as payment. Utility bills, christmas shopping, etc. Personally I'd go that route first, before I'd consider giving over half of my rewards to Plastiq.

Message 23 of 32
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I wish they had done something more directly related to holiday shopping as they have done in previous years.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 24 of 32
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

Forgive my ignorance, but are there any fees associated with PayPal Key?  I see where they say they don't have fees, but does PayPal hit you with fees for funding from one of the credit cards?  I feel like I've looked into having PayPal funded off cards before and there were fees attached to it.  

Do we know if this applies only to Walmart.com or in store shopping using the CFF card?  :-)  I actually do some shopping there, including my groceries, which makes this rather enticing.  I'd much rather get 5% through Chase than ever dealing with a Walmart card through Cap1.

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Goal - To get in with Chase. Smiley Very Happy (ACHIEVED!)
Message 25 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@dsotm76 wrote:

Forgive my ignorance, but are there any fees associated with PayPal Key?  I see where they say they don't have fees, but does PayPal hit you with fees for funding from one of the credit cards?  I feel like I've looked into having PayPal funded off cards before and there were fees attached to it.  

I haven't experienced any fees with Key (and in the brief period where Business debit could be linked to a cc, no fees then either)

Message 26 of 32
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Referral links now working per DoC:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-freedom-flex-now-available-via-referral-links/

The Chase Freedom Flex card is now available via referral links with the same $200 and 5%-grocery signup bonus. That’s terrific news since it means the new member can earn the full signup bonus, at the same time allowing the referrer to get $100 bonus (10,000 points).

If you have the Freedom card or the Freedom Unlimited card (or the Freedom Flex card, I assume?), you can refer friends to signup for either the Freedom Flex card or the Freedom Unlimited card. You’ll earn $100/10,000 points on each referral, up to $500/50,000 per calendar year.

This is good news to me as I planned on applying in a few months and have a P2.

Message 27 of 32
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@randomguy1 wrote:

Referral links now working per DoC:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-freedom-flex-now-available-via-referral-links/

The Chase Freedom Flex card is now available via referral links with the same $200 and 5%-grocery signup bonus. That’s terrific news since it means the new member can earn the full signup bonus, at the same time allowing the referrer to get $100 bonus (10,000 points).

If you have the Freedom card or the Freedom Unlimited card (or the Freedom Flex card, I assume?), you can refer friends to signup for either the Freedom Flex card or the Freedom Unlimited card. You’ll earn $100/10,000 points on each referral, up to $500/50,000 per calendar year.

This is good news to me as I planned on applying in a few months and have a P2.

As a CFU cardholder, I would like to refer myself to get a CFF card Smiley Wink (Kidding - I just checked, and apparently that violates the Chase terms and conditions)

Message 28 of 32
Ragdollkitty
New Contributor

Thank you for the information about PayPal key. I never knew about this.  I've only used like a hundred of the discover category this quarter and was foreseeing only using a few hundred at Walmart but now I can see maxing out the PayPal category easily.

Message 29 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom/Freedom Flex Q4 Categories: Paypal and Walmart

Every type of Walmart is included. My card will be used and abused like never before.

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.