cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom - How large of a CLI?

tag
DocM

Chase Freedom - How large of a CLI?

I have noticed there have been a plethora of threads regarding the Chase Freedom and CLIs. Although to my knowledge there isn't a formula to the whole thing (in comparison to the AMEX 3x CLI @ the 61 day mark), I have noticed some similarities reported among members who have received them - several of the auto CLIs have been within 6 months of account opening; usually are in the amount of $500, and given those with lower starting limits. I know that many say it is more worthwhile to just open a new card and transfer limits between cards accordingly, but for those who have received CLIs and are willing to share some info, perhaps it can help future members decide whether or not to ask for a HP CLI.

I felt the following would provide some good resource:

1. # of months account was open when CLI was obtained (specify auto or HP)

2. Starting CL

3. Average monthly spending

4. $$ amount of CLI

There is probably a ton of other factors, and if I missed any critical factors let me know. If there is enough data maybe it can be charted somehow.

For me,

1. # of months account was open when CLI was obtained (specify auto or HP) - Opened 9/11; have not received a CLI

2. Starting CL - 4,000

3. Average monthly spending - 1,250

4. $$ amount of CLI - N/A

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
LisaJ
Frequent Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom - How large of a CLI?

I started with Freedom after Chase took over WAMU. My limit sat at 1,000 for quite some time. When I found these forums, I began to research and applied for CSP, based on having a Home Depot card for $7200. At the same time I asked for a CLI on Freedom, and was approved for $7500. Not sure that's helpful, as I had never asked for a CLI prior. It was several years that I had the card before asking, and I always carried a balance of at least 20%.
WOW! EQ when I joined myFICO: 657. Ups and downs and a few bumps and bruises, but finally back over 700. Whew!

Message 2 of 20
enharu
Super Contributor

This is what happened for my chase amazon visa. It's not a freedom though but I hope it can be useful in helping you determine chase behavior.

Initial CL 2000
Account opened for about 1.5 years when CLI was requested
Amount spent per month on average 4.8k.
Amount paid per month: pay in full. Hasn't been charged interest fees for over a year.
CLI requested 8.5k.
CLI approved for 8.5k
1 inquiry on ex
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 20
kobe2012
Established Contributor

@DocM wrote:

@I have noticed there have been a plethora of threads regarding the Chase Freedom and CLIs. Although to my knowledge there isn't a formula to the whole thing (in comparison to the AMEX 3x CLI @ the 61 day mark), I have noticed some similarities reported among members who have received them - several of the auto CLIs have been within 6 months of account opening; usually are in the amount of $500, and given those with lower starting limits. I know that many say it is more worthwhile to just open a new card and transfer limits between cards accordingly, but for those who have received CLIs and are willing to share some info, perhaps it can help future members decide whether or not to ask for a HP CLI.

1. # of months account was open when CLI was obtained (specify auto or HP) Opened 10/28/2012 (originally Amazon visa but changed to Freedom when I called backdoor) auto increased on 02/14/2013

2. Starting CL $500

3. Average monthly spending >1000 

4. $$ amount of CLI $500

There is probably a ton of other factors, and if I missed any critical factors let me know. If there is enough data maybe it can be charted somehow.

For me,

1. # of months account was open when CLI was obtained (specify auto or HP) - Opened 9/11; have not received a CLI

2. Starting CL - 4,000

3. Average monthly spending - 1,250

4. $$ amount of CLI - N/A

I got the card thru reconned .. 4 times thru backdoor, No go... then exec office approved me for low limit .... this is my main card.. I pretty much pay it in full every two weeks....  I recently got approved for slate for $3k as well as chase auto loan... hopefully they'll match my freedom with my other limits.... by far my lowest limit.... I really like their rewards... especially this quarter...

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 4 of 20
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@kobe2012 wrote:

1. # of months account was open when CLI was obtained (specify auto or HP) Opened 10/28/2012 (originally Amazon visa but changed to Freedom when I called backdoor) auto increased on 02/14/2013

Did  you have the Amazon Visa and got it PCd, or was this at time of app?  People here told me that you cannot get that PCd, and I had no success, so I would like to know if you managed it!

Message 5 of 20
jna
New Contributor

I got an automatic cli of 500 after 4 months of having the card then decided to pull the trigger on appying for a credit line increase.i called the cs and requested for a total credit limit of 7500.unfortunately was declined then immediately called the recon dept.spoke to a credit analyst a woman but she still she declined my request due to newly opened accounts last year.i decided to call a different numbr.spoke to a nice man and explained everything.originally requestd for a total limit of 7500 then i told him to counterfeit the request match it with my citi hilton visa which has a 5500 waited for a few mins then whn he cameback told me co gratulations you were approved!

Message 6 of 20
kobe2012
Established Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@kobe2012 wrote:

Did  you have the Amazon Visa and got it PCd, or was this at time of app?  People here told me that you cannot get that PCd, and I had no success, so I would like to know if you managed it!

It was the following day after I applied... I asked if I can get the freedom instead cause it will benefit me more cause of the rewards... the lady i spoke with said ok... but i probably just got lucky..

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 7 of 20
sosabe77
Contributor

@jna wrote:

I got an automatic cli of 500 after 4 months of having the card then decided to pull the trigger on appying for a credit line increase.i called the cs and requested for a total credit limit of 7500.unfortunately was declined then immediately called the recon dept.spoke to a credit analyst a woman but she still she declined my request due to newly opened accounts last year.i decided to call a different numbr.spoke to a nice man and explained everything.originally requestd for a total limit of 7500 then i told him to counterfeit the request match it with my citi hilton visa which has a 5500 waited for a few mins then whn he cameback told me co gratulations you were approved!

That's fantastic.  The ONE substantial "CLI" I got on the Freedom...they denied me twice for regular CLIs but approved me for a Slate at around 2X my Freedom limit.  Then they allowed me to reallocate my credit limit from the Slate over to the Freedom.  Obviously I wasn't over my exposure limit, so I'm not sure why I was approved for the 2nd card, but couldn't get the CLI.

Top 3: Amex BCP 25k - Chase Sapphire 17.5k - PSECU 20K

Starting Score: 714
Current Score: 759
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 20
MazdaSpeed
Contributor

I have had the Freedom since 11/2012, applied for the CSP at the begining of this month, was approved, called the next day and had them use the same hp to give me a CLI of 500, from 500 so my Freedoms CL was 1000

edit: avg spending about 650/750 a month,  always paid in full 

but then I applied for the United card and they chopped my freedom CL back down to 500 so they could approve me for the United card with a 2k limit, I had a bce reporting with a $7600(but now is at 14k) and Chase didnt want to give me more than that, so they gave me 7500

fico 747
Message 9 of 20
calihlove75
Established Contributor

For me, my Freedom was opened in June 2012 at $3000. In August 2012 I took a hard pull to $6000~ never received an auto cli on this account. I have always carried some kind of balance (15-20% utility) but make about $600 a month in payments. 

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.