Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Initial CLI?

tag
Raiders1
Valued Member

Chase Freedom Initial CLI?

I currently have three cards USAA Cash Rewards ($9000 CL), WalMart Card ($1700 CL) and Capital One Secured ($1000 CL). Two days ago I applied and got approved for Chase Freedom ($2000 CL) and Discover IT (not sure on the CL yet). I have about $1300 usage reported on the USAA and zero on the other two. I got the Chase Freedom to pay for my last semester of college which should cost a little over $5K, because of their 15mo no intrest offer. However they only gave me a $2000 CL should I call and ask for an increase when I receive the card? Should I mention the $9K limit on the USAA? Should I mention that I need more a higher limit to pay for college? My income is $50K/yr. I have three paid collections from over 4 years ago and no baddies since then.

Starting Scores:
EQ FICO 648 - TU08 598 - EX FAKO 544 (1/2012)
Current Scores: EQ 703 - TU 767 - EX 750
In My Wallet: AMEX BCE ($22.5K), Discover It ($10K), USAA World MC ($9K), Chase Freedom ($8K), Fidelity Rewards ($5K), Citi Double Cash ($4.5K) Walmart ($4.5K),
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
JeffM
Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Initial CLI?

My dad applied for this recently and was approved. After the approval, it said something along the lines of "If you're not happy with the credit limit, call us at xxx". So I think it's acceptable to call them about it. Definitely mention the 9K.

It's so great that your college accepts payments via credit card. I wish mine did that!

Wells Fargo Cash Back - $2400 || Bank of America Cash Rewards - $5000 || Discover IT - $5000 || American Express BCE - $15000

FICO TU - 769
Message 2 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Yes you can call them for more... Tell them you were looking for something closer to the $9k to match your current daily use card because you wanted to be able to charge your school tuition of $5k to the new card and not have it be maxed out.

they most likely will pull a 2nd credit from TU though but I have read lots of success with them being very good about issueing higher limits right away because of BT needs or large purchases.

Message 3 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

It really would depend on your overall profile and whether they are able to extend any further beyond what you already were approved for. If you don't mind the extra HP to reconsider the initial CL, then go for it.

Message 4 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JeffM wrote:

My dad applied for this recently and was approved. After the approval, it said something along the lines of "If you're not happy with the credit limit, call us at xxx". So I think it's acceptable to call them about it. Definitely mention the 9K.

It's so great that your college accepts payments via credit card. I wish mine did that!

The "If you are not happy" is standard verbiage, they will HP if you ask for more.   Normally they give you, the first time, the amount that they are happy extending, so view this as just marketing.

Message 5 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@JeffM wrote:

The "If you are not happy" is standard verbiage, they will HP if you ask for more.   Normally they give you, the first time, the amount that they are happy extending, so view this as just marketing.

+1

Exactly.

Message 6 of 7
Raiders1
Valued Member

@JeffM wrote:

Yeah, it's great I'm going to be able to finish my Bachelor's in May with no student loans, plus I got cash back rewards on the about $20K I've paid so far. I've been charging my tuition each semester then paying it off within one to three months so I've paid almost no intrest. I just wanted to take a little longer to pay the last semester.

Starting Scores:
EQ FICO 648 - TU08 598 - EX FAKO 544 (1/2012)
Current Scores: EQ 703 - TU 767 - EX 750
In My Wallet: AMEX BCE ($22.5K), Discover It ($10K), USAA World MC ($9K), Chase Freedom ($8K), Fidelity Rewards ($5K), Citi Double Cash ($4.5K) Walmart ($4.5K),
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.