Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Quarter

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Chase Freedom Quarter

I need to make a large quarterly purchase for Q1 on the Freedom. If I make it tomorrow will I get credit? Does the payment have to actually fully clear to get the 5x points prior to Q1 ending? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Quarter

The purchase has to clear before the 31st basically. Since tomorrow is the 30th you should be OK since we aren't in a weekend or holiday. The purchase will likely clear in time unless it's a merchant that takes longer, in which case you'd potentially be SOL.
Message 2 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

This (old) post has a Chase CSR saying it goes by transaction date and not post date.  http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1361980-chase-freedom-5-trans-vs-post-date.htm...

KDM, do you have a more recent source that it has to post?

To answer my own question: from the Freedom FAQ, https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/FAQ,

In order for a purchase to qualify for 5% cash back in this quarter’s rewards categories, the merchant must submit the charges to your credit card by the last day of the quarter. For example, if the merchant charges your card on a different date than you placed your purchase such as the shipping date, delivery date, or installation date, and that date is after the end of the quarter, the purchase will not earn bonus 5% cash back.

So it is (now) post date

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

i thought the purchase just needed to be made by the last day of the quarter.. i looked on chase lightly but no confirmation other than saying when purchase are made on what dates..
Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

sorry didn't see your pat LTL or else i wouldn't have posted
Message 5 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

See my edit!

Message 6 of 26
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It may be I'm thinking of the way it used to be then. Either way seems OP will likely be fine.
Message 7 of 26
red259
Super Contributor

Always learn new things here. 

;
Message 8 of 26
NRB525
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

This (old) post has a Chase CSR saying it goes by transaction date and not post date.  http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1361980-chase-freedom-5-trans-vs-post-date.htm...

To answer my own question: from the Freedom FAQ, https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/FAQ,

In order for a purchase to qualify for 5% cash back in this quarter’s rewards categories, the merchant must submit the charges to your credit card by the last day of the quarter. For example, if the merchant charges your card on a different date than you placed your purchase such as the shipping date, delivery date, or installation date, and that date is after the end of the quarter, the purchase will not earn bonus 5% cash back.

So it is (now) post date

Really? I don't think so.

Here's the example: Cardholder uses the card on March 30.

The merchant submits the charge on March 31, the "Pending" date. This is a slow merchant.

The charge "Posts" and finalizes on April 2. The Transaction day would still show March 31 or more likely March 30.

This transaction should earn rewards for Q1 because it was submitted by March 31.

I'm going to do one more top-off gasoline charge on March 31 just to see.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 26
red259
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

So it is (now) post date

Really? I don't think so.

Here's the example: Cardholder uses the card on March 30.

The merchant submits the charge on March 31, the "Pending" date. This is a slow merchant.

The charge "Posts" and finalizes on April 2. The Transaction day would still show March 31 or more likely March 30.

This transaction should earn rewards for Q1 because it was submitted by March 31.

I'm going to do one more top-off gasoline charge on March 31 just to see.

Thanks for posting. This just reminded me I need to make the transit charge tomorrow morning!

;
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.