Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Recon Question Slash Vent

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom Recon Question Slash Vent

Hey guys first of all I want to thank you all for all that I have learned by visiting this forum and reading your questions answers and comments regarding credit cards and the happiness and frustration they offer : ) Seriously though today I app'd for a Chase freedom but first a little background history...I have had a student Chase plus +1 card since 08' and it was about to expire so today in the mail I received the new Chase+1 card with a new expiration date Yay! I have had an initial CL of 1000 on that since 2008 and I carry a balance but always pay in big  amounts and on time, anyway the CL has not budged at all since 08' so I was looking forward to now basically three years later applying for a Chase Freedom so to make a long story short I did not call to product change the student card because the renewal came in but along with it in the mail lo and behold  a pre approval offer for the Freedom card yay!  so I did not hesitate and I applied for the Freedom card after I reactivated my new student card and I got the 7 to 30 day waiting game so hours later I decided to call to check the app status and to my amazement " oh no" a real person picked up!  I had no choice but to speak nervous and all to a very polite CSR who basically said looks like I have been denied due to new accounts of under a year old and some high utilization mumbo jumbo but noticing my disappointment he offered a review and ended up offering me a Freedom with a  low 500 CL. He said the higher CL increase I may ask for after developing more of a payment credit history so..will do

I am happy to get the card although I was expecting a higher CL than my student card but anyway now I really want that Freedom card in my hands so I can't wait for it to actually get here but I have a question:  I should expect a denial letter that I should ignore having recond'd the situation and gotten approved? he said two weeks for the new card to arrive. The reason I ask is because the letter can throw ppl off and make them (me) call in and inquire again and I do not want to call again cause they probably take notes on how much you fuzz and the truth is well, I get nervous too so..anyway, I guess I should be happy to get in the door with the Freedom but I get the feeling that I'll get a denial letter first? then I'll prolly get the card later?  I have been also getting preapproved offers from Discover but now I am not sure if I want to pursue that cause I don't want to get more dings on the record by heaven forbid getting (((((denied)))))  The student card has been very useful so I think I should keep it open for records sake. Anyway I thank you all again, this is an amazing tool this forum is with very savvy ppl and I guess this turned out to be a vent slash question kind of a post so sorry for the long essay : ) Thanks again, Cheers.   

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom Recon Question Slash Vent

You will not get a denial letter. You were not denied. Your application simply needed more review. Now you are approved and the card will come in the mail..

Message 2 of 7
CreditMuppet
Frequent Contributor

Call chase and see if they will consolidate/combine your accounts with your Freedom..

Starting Score: 770
Current Score: 765 (EX) 763 (EQ) 756 (TU)

Auto Enhanced: 788 (EX)
Goal Score: 800
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You will not get a denial letter. You were not denied. Your application simply needed more review. Now you are approved and the card will come in the mail..

OP says rep told him he was denied, and then proceeded to do a recon.  Depending on how fast their system sends out the automated letter, it is possible that a denial letter would come. 

I don't think it would be a big deal for OP to call in if they receive a denial letter and ask for status.  But if OP is nervous about it, then just wait two weeks, and if you haven't received your card, call in at that point to find out what is going on. 

Also, there is no credit ding for getting denied per se.  You take a ding for an inquiry.  There's no indication of whether you were denied or approved.  Someone could deduce that if you have a recent inquiry and no recent tradeline, that you were denied credit, but that isn't necessarily true.  For example, you could have had a backdated Amex, the account could not be showing yet, it could be like my Cap One which pulled from all three but strangely does not report to all three, it could be an inquiry for a non-credit card product and you decided not to accept the terms of the lender's offer, etc.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OP says rep told him he was denied, and then proceeded to do a recon.  Depending on how fast their system sends out the automated letter, it is possible that a denial letter would come. 

I don't think it would be a big deal for OP to call in if they receive a denial letter and ask for status.  But if OP is nervous about it, then just wait two weeks, and if you haven't received your card, call in at that point to find out what is going on. 

Also, there is no credit ding for getting denied per se.  You take a ding for an inquiry.  There's no indication of whether you were denied or approved.  Someone could deduce that if you have a recent inquiry and no recent tradeline, that you were denied credit, but that isn't necessarily true.  For example, you could have had a backdated Amex, the account could not be showing yet, it could be like my Cap One which pulled from all three but strangely does not report to all three, it could be an inquiry for a non-credit card product and you decided not to accept the terms of the lender's offer, etc.

+1

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stand corrected. I must read a long post carefully.Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for responding to my question. This is a quick update on this post . Well, it seems that indeed I have been approved for  a $400 dollar Freedom card as it is showing in my online banking accounts as I am a Chase client too. I don't know of any other offer details on that like the $200 cash back offer or anything else  these come with, my preapproval did not show any offers like that it has some cash back benefits for Chase checking also so that's cool, but even so I am very grateful to get this card because it's a Freedom and being a prime card from a prime lender. I was expecting a CL over a grand since my student card has that CL for three years now but I guess I'll garden this and a year down the road if they do not increase by them selves I shall then ask for a CL raise.  Over all I do recommend trying to recon the situation if denied because often times ppl would be surprised as they will reconsider even if its a lower limit. I guess it is also important on who you get as far as a CSR some are indeed nicer than others. I think having the plus1 open is probably beneficial by now so I don't know if I will consolidate them into one at this time.Thanks again for the responses and I'll make the last update on this when I actually receive the plate in hand. Cheers to you all.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.