Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Requirements

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom Requirements

I'm trying to app for the Chase Freedom MC. However, I've heard from the representative that you must have a minimum of 12 months of revolving credit history, which is what she told me after I was rejected the first time a few months ago. Now I still don't have one year, but I have three tradelines with some what respectable lenders (Wells Fargo, AMEX, and... well.. Capital One heh).

Was the rep right or should I try my luck again this month since I do need a Mastercard ..

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom Requirements

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm trying to app for the Chase Freedom MC. However, I've heard from the representative that you must have a minimum of 12 months of revolving credit history, which is what she told me after I was rejected the first time a few months ago. Now I still don't have one year, but I have three tradelines with some what respectable lenders (Wells Fargo, AMEX, and... well.. Capital One heh).

Was the rep right or should I try my luck again this month since I do need a Mastercard ..

I got chase visa with 9 month credit history of 750 cli cap1.

Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just curious but did you have any other lines of credit/loans that could've been on your credit file?

Message 3 of 31
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

I got a chase freedom two days ago with a 674 fico, 2 CCs oldest was 9 months, but I had to recon and mention that I never missed a payment on my student loans with over 6 year history.

Good luck, let us know how it goes if you apply!

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 4 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm I'll definitely apply and recon but I do want to be sure it won't be an automatic denial.

The only problem with me is that I have no other forms of credit than revolving on my report.
Message 5 of 31
supersam101
Contributor

I vote you should wait until you have 1 full year of credit history. I got denied for the chase freedom with 8 months credit history. I called for recon and they did not want to approve me. On the denial letter it said " few revolving accounts opened long enough to establish credit history" and " not enough accounts open long enough to establish credit history. " So unless you have a checking account with them I vote to wait.
Discover IT Student $3k. Bankameri better balance $3k.
Chase freedom 2.5k
Message 6 of 31
mistabgeez
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When I applied for my Freedom MC there was only one revolving account on my reports, a CU Visa that was open for 8 months. The only other things on my reports were my student loans which had years of good history.

AMEX BCE $15,500 Citi Double Cash $8,700 USAA $6,000
Chase Freedom $2,500 Discover It $10,600
M & T Visa $2,500 CU Visa $10,000, BOAmericard $7,500
Message 7 of 31
jcstarkey8826
Established Contributor

+1

I would wait as well, although I was able to get the card earlier than normal. I was only given a $500 CL which is fine with me as I know the cards I have now will grow with me over time. I only applied because it was suggested, but it took 2 recon attempts for a toy limit. Got my foot in the door though!

In my wallet: Discover it 6800 CL, Capital One Quicksilver Sig 5k CL, Chase Freedom 4k CL, GCU Patinum Visa 1500 CL
Message 8 of 31
Jlu
Established Contributor

Call again.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 9 of 31
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Would it be possible for people to post their approval dates please?

Chase appears to have changed the underwriting sometime in June/July for the Freedom specifically (significantly loosening the underwriting criteria at least on the FICO side and presumably the revolving history as well).

Prior to that I'd say that on their bell curve of approvals, certainly under the first standard deviation had a minimum of one year history; however, recently we've seen several approvals in the 8-9 month range, and maybe down as far as six which would make sense from a product placement perspective competing against Amex (Zync).

FWIW: The CSR may be working off old data as lenders don't generally update them with changes in underwriting criteria, at least anecdotally this forum and the various credit approval databases seem to be better resources.

        
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.