Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom - Some Advice?

tag
mab6311
New Contributor

Chase Freedom - Some Advice?

Hi Guys I'm just looking for some advice regarding my chase freedom account. I have had it for about 2 years. Its not a signature, but I have had 9k limit when I first opened it. APR is about 20% Smiley Surprised and my fico scores about 740-760. Im looking to move to a high score so I don't want to ding my score. If a hard pull would be worth it let me know? From what I read on here going to Visa signature does not require a hard pull and Chase still reports the limit? 

Thanks for everyones help!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom - Some Advice?

@mab6311 wrote:

Hi Guys I'm just looking for some advice regarding my chase freedom account. I have had it for about 2 years. Its not a signature, but I have had 9k limit when I first opened it. APR is about 20% Smiley Surprised and my fico scores about 740-760. Im looking to move to a high score so I don't want to ding my score. If a hard pull would be worth it let me know? From what I read on here going to Visa signature does not require a hard pull and Chase still reports the limit? 

Thanks for everyones help!!

it is not a hard pull, but it is considered a product change. i just called to ask for mine to be signature so thats what they told me.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 8
mab6311
New Contributor

After 2 years always paying on time using the card, what could i expect if i ask for a Credit increase? maybe trying to get the APR lowered even though i never carry a balance? 

Message 3 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

@mab6311 wrote:

After 2 years always paying on time using the card, what could i expect if i ask for a Credit increase? maybe trying to get the APR lowered even though i never carry a balance? 

you can ask for your APR to be lowered and usually they can give you a response right away without a need for a HP.

if the rate they give you is still unfavorable in your opinion, they might be able to review it again with a hard pull.

as for credit increase, any customer initiated credit limit increase is a HP for Chase.

most people would just recommend you to apply for another Chase credit card, get the sign-up bonus, and then transfer credit limit over to your freedom 1 year later. This is also going to be just 1 HP.

But its entirely up to you. If you don't want to go through the trouble of having to deal with another credit card and then having to consolidate them later, you can always just ask for an increase and they'll do a HP. Chase gave me an increase from 2k to 8.5k the last time I asked for an increase.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 8
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

I called the backdoor number last year and got them to reduce my interest rate from 27.9% down to 9.9% on my freedom. They even credited me like $200 in back interest.

They were awesome. Chase is top notch
Message 5 of 8
mab6311
New Contributor

@Kozmo wrote:
I called the backdoor number last year and got them to reduce my interest rate from 27.9% down to 9.9% on my freedom. They even credited me like $200 in back interest.

They were awesome. Chase is top notch

Can I ask which Chase backdoor number you called? I see about 5 of them. Also if you don't mind sharing your cedit score? 

Message 6 of 8
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

This was about a year ago when I was in a little rough shape. I was probably low to mid 600's. maybe higher i didn't pull a score then.

I think I sent them letters now that I think about it. It was to the executive office. We played a lot of phone tag so we just emailed back and forth and they took care of it. I was shocked I thought I maybe would go from 27 to 20 but never down to 9.9 and then have them credit me back interest. Ill see if I can find the guys email
Message 7 of 8
Kozmo
Frequent Contributor

To add. I have 2 chase accounts and they did it for both.

EDIT: found it. You have a PM.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.