Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Unlimited - 3% first year - no SUB - in branch only

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom Unlimited - 3% first year - no SUB - in branch only

This popped up in my news feed this morning and I hadn't see it posted here yet.

Looks like if you spend more than $10k on the card it beats out the SUB. Caps out at $20k then goes back to 1.5%.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom Unlimited - 3% first year - no SUB - in branch only

What makes this more interesting than a SUB? I would rather have a SUB for a small amount of spend than have to put all of my spend on one card and neglect the rest for the year.

Seems to me Chase is just experimenting with ways to get away from SUBs.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you know can put $10k-$20k WITHOUT trying too hard, just regular spending that doesn’t fit into any categories, then this is gonna be great.

I would definitely choose this if I didn’t have any higher level cards that offer better protections like extended warranty or returns purchases protection.

The best way to use FU is like buying s TV for $10k when all other cards earns 1x but this card 3x. Except you get extended warranty with other higher level cards.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It wouldn't work for everybody and I certainly wouldn't be able to take advantage of it.
But for those that value UR points highly and have plenty of non category spend it could be attractive.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it's essentially the 300$ sub chase used to target people with but much more difficult to get. I think the ve done the same promo exactly a year ago.
Message 5 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It wouldn't work for everybody and I certainly wouldn't be able to take advantage of it.
But for those that value UR points highly and have plenty of non category spend it could be attractive.

I agree!  For UR lovers, this means 3UR on all other spend spend up to $20K, with 3/5 UR on various spend depending which card you have.

60K UR can be worth more than a number of SUBs.

Message 6 of 11
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

OT, just want to say that the OPs icon is STILL confusing me after seeing it several times today.   I keep thinking that something is buffering!  Good choice with chosen name.

Message 7 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What makes this more interesting than a SUB? I would rather have a SUB for a small amount of spend than have to put all of my spend on one card and neglect the rest for the year.

I think it's just really to encourage users to keep the card and use it for a year, as opposed to obtaining the bonus and cancelling or SDing the card immediately. From the bank's POV, I totally get it.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it's just really to encourage users to keep the card and use it for a year, as opposed to obtaining the bonus and cancelling or SDing the card immediately. From the bank's POV, I totally get it.

Well that’s exactly my point. If you’re not invested in URs, to get more value from this than a SUB, you have to divert spending from your other cards. It works out great for Chase but not necessarily for the customer. 

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the 3% instant? In other words, it's not like Discover's cashback match situation where you earn the regular rate (1% and 5% on Discover; 1.5% on Disco Miles) and then they match what you've earned once you hit your 1-year anniversary?

I'd give my right arm to get a FU with the 3% offer. Right now I only have 2 of my Trifecta because I was an idiot and closed my CSP after getting the SUB a couple of years ago. Then I went on a spree and opened a ton of other cards putting me firmly over 5/24 until the end of 2020. I realized I needed the CSP back, so I PCed my Unlimited to one and picked up a Disco Miles for "everything else" spend outside of categories that earn more. I'm not happy with this at all. It's delayed gratification because you don't get the match until after a year, and there are enough places that don't accept Disco (recurring bills and such) that I still have to put non-category spend on either my CSP or Freedom getting a measely 1X UR on it. I'd much rather have my Unlimited back (especially with this great offer!) and be trucking along with the Trifecta. FU was my major spending card. 

Sorry for the little pity party/rant. 

I couldn't get this offer anyway since there are no Chase branches in my state. I'd settle for no offer just to get that card back though. *sigh*

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.