Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Unlimited or Amazon Visa?

tag
Mike1014805
New Contributor

Chase Freedom Unlimited or Amazon Visa?

I have both the of these cards with Chase. My Freedom Unlimited has a $4800 limit and my Amazon Visa has a $500 limit. I opened both of them, roughly at the same time, about a year ago. At this point, I don't see a reason in keeping both cards open. The rep I spoke to with Chase said I can combine the two into one card.

And before anyone says "why not just keep both?" I'm trying to condense my wallet. I have too many cards. 

My current list of cards:

- Amazon Visa

- Freedom Unlimited Visa

- Bilt Mastercard

- Bank of America Cash Rewards

- Amex Cash Magnet Card

- Discover It Cash Back

- Discover Chrome (18 months no interest finance)

- Capital One Venture Card

- Citi Costco Visa

- JetBlue+ Mastercard

- Target RedCard

- Walmart Mastercard

I plan on combining my Chase and Discover cards.

So here's my question, based on benefits and experience, which card would be better in the long run?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Unlimited or Amazon Visa?

ideally the freedom unlimited is combined with the freedom flex and the sapphire preferred/reserve to get the most of the rewards in that ecosystem, if you aren't planning on getting both the flex and the preferred/reserve, I wouldn't see much use in the freedom unlimited. Whereas the Amazon card will always be useful pretty much

I would consider a 2% card to replace the cash magnet if you wanted a higher earning card for non-reward categories, PayPal MC, Active Cash, Double Cash, fidelity visa

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 13
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

If your Chase Amazon is Prime then keep that, otherwise go with Chase Freedom Unlimited!

So if your not paying for Prime, it means you don't shop at Amazon as much and if you really want to get something from them, you have other cards that have Amazon promotions along the road! But if you are paying for Prime then its a must have CC!

Message 3 of 13
TimFlorida
Valued Member

I got both those cards at different times in my credit journey.  I never cracked 5k limit with the Unlimited.  My Chase Amazon Prime was close to 10k SL and I moved CL from another Chase card to get it to 10k.  I don't know if the Unlimited is a Signature card if you have a higher CL or not,  but my Prime card is a Visa Signature and is a Flexible Spending Limit card.  It has no FTF.  The Prime card seems to me to be a higher-end card but I'm open to others telling me why it isn't.  This is not taking UR system into account.

TCL: $102,400

Message 4 of 13
GZG
Valued Contributor

@TimFlorida wrote:

I got both those cards at different times in my credit journey.  I never cracked 5k limit with the Unlimited.  My Chase Amazon Prime was close to 10k SL and I moved CL from another Chase card to get it to 10k.  I don't know if the Unlimited is a Signature card if you have a higher CL or not,  but my Prime card is a Visa Signature and is a Flexible Spending Limit card.  It has no FTF.  The Prime card seems to me to be a higher-end card but I'm open to others telling me why it isn't.  This is not taking UR system into account.

'higher-end' isn't really what's most important. it's: does the card's benefits/rewards match your spend, are you doing the best you can to maximise your rewards for that spend, and do you care enough to spend the time to be optimal with your choices

it's my understanding you're more likely to get extra reward offers with the Amazon card as opposed to the CFU, but dunno YMMV there 

somebody never buying stuff on Amazon/whole foods probably doesn't need an Amazon card, similarly, somebody who doesn't want to delve into the Chase UR system might be better suited to solely freedom flex as opposed to a freedom unlimited 

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 5 of 13
ficosuave
Contributor

I'd probably keep the Freedom Unlimited, just since it's a mainline Chase card. I believe they re-upped the Amazon card after shopping it around a year or two ago, but you never know. Depends I guess how much Amazon shopping you do, and whether you care about being for sure locked in to Chase.

Also, at least in my experience, I've always had to leave $500 on a closed Chase card. Wasn't able to transfer the entire credit line. May be different if you've had a long period of inactivity (6+ months)? Not sure.

Message 6 of 13
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

I'm assuming you are using the Amazon card for 5% at Amazon.  To me, no card offering less than 2% everyday CB is worth looking at.  I'd drop the FU in a heartbeat.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 7 of 13
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Agree with @GZG If you are going to pair the CFU with either a CSP or CSR I would keep that, if not then I would keep the Amazon.  The CFU really only has value to you if you can pair the UR earned with the ability to transfer or use at a higher rate.  Otherwise it's just a 1.5% card, which are readily available elsewhere.  

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 8 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@GZG wrote:

'higher-end' isn't really what's most important. it's: does the card's benefits/rewards match your spend, are you doing the best you can to maximise your rewards for that spend, and do you care enough to spend the time to be optimal with your choices

This!  Sometimes people get hung up on what they think is status (for example ending up with getting an Amex Plat without knowing how to use MRs or making use of the credits, and being unaware that having a pulse goes a long way in getting that card).   As @GZG says, the best card for you is one that rewards your spend (not necessarily straight rewards, it can also be perks, insurance coverage etc, that makes sense for you).    So when I used to spend more at Target, the target debit card was the obvious choice, even though by anyone's standard it's a bottom of the range choice!

As others have said, if you have Amazon prime and shop a lot at Amazon and/or WholeFoods, then that's the card.  Since you are even asking, I assume that's not the case, and outside that space it's not that useful, unless you don't have a better card for the 2% categories (but your venture is a flat 2%) or if you a no-FTF card (again venture)

But if you aren't in the UR ecosystem, the Freedom Unlimited is not very good either.

So maybe neither card is worth keeping unless there's a chance that Amazon/WF becomes more significant, or you get a CSP/CSR etc

Message 9 of 13
SpaceCityCCuser
Regular Contributor

My Amazon prime is a sock drawer card and never enters my wallet. So is my Walmart and Apple Card. I use them through their apps/websites or in Apple Pay. I'm not sure if you are talking about your physical wallet or just less cards overall. So, just sock drawer your Amazon.

Last Signature Update: 03/21/2024

Credit Age:
Approvals (Chase 5/24 not counting business cards):
Inquiries:

Financial Institutions:

Cards on the Radar:
2 plus years away cards:
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.