Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Unlimited

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Unlimited

@red259 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

1.50% is no big deal because they would give 30k in UR anyway with 5% categories.

So you have to spend 3.50 times to get the same result.  I think there data tells them that people only use their Freedom on 5% catagories.

CSP doesn't go away because 2 UR for travel and meals plus transfer ability to travel partners.

I don't understand the big deal.

Exactly. the argument that they won't do 1.5URs is rather silly because they are taking away the 5x categories and this would be a slick move to steal away all the swipes from the amex everyday preferred and they still collect the AF on the CSP or Ink card. Its a smart move to get the points crowd with them. For the cashback people its not the best deal out there, but there are many walking around with a freedom card and this type of move will help discourage them from looking at other 1.5% non-AF cards like the QS etc.  

I think an important consideration is that Chase currently has NO, zero, none, cards that are exclusively Cash Back. The Freedom card is marketed as "cash back" but it's really earning UR points. Chase has invested a lot in their UR Points system, including the UR portal, and to step away from that with this card, to create their first Cash Back Only card, seems counter to their strategy.

They will still market the FU as "1.5% Cash Back" but I bet it is 1.5 UR points. Just because it's "redeem any amount" doesn't mean it's got to be cash only.

I will look into converting my Slate card to a FU card. It is currently running a Forever BT offer from the time of the dinosaurs at 4.99% APR, and has a few more years to run before that is paid down, but with the Chase Blueprint payments, I can add current charges to it, get those paid automatically each month and not incur additional interest costs. And get 1.5 UR points if my speculations are correct.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 51 of 218
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

I predict this would be 1.5 UR points.  It seems to me that Chase has an incentive to encourage people to book travel and buy products through the UR portal.  So I fully expect it would be 1.5 UR points.  The real value comes from the ability to transfer these points to partner programs through CSP.

Message 52 of 218
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

In that case it would be an appealing product, no ??? If it's 1.5 UR points with no AF. Then to convert those points to travel we would still need a card like either the CSP or Ink.

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 53 of 218
Anonymous
Not applicable

if they're UR then it'll be a steal of a card for people. the FU with CSP with freedom combo would pretty much be the ULTIMATE combo
Message 54 of 218
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

@Jayb5635 wrote:
In that case it would be an appealing product, no ??? If it's 1.5 UR points with no AF. Then to convert those points to travel we would still need a card like either the CSP or Ink.

If it was 1.5 UR, I think it would be a really appealing general spend card. Although the 5% categories have enormous potential to quickly earn more points. If they are UR points, I'm not actually sure whether the old Freedom or Freedom Unlimited would end up being better for me.  Sometimes the categories aren't super useful, while sometimes they are.

Message 55 of 218
Anonymous
Not applicable

#FUteamabib

Message 56 of 218
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool if this rumor is true. Does Chase allow product changes though?

Message 57 of 218
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes they do
Message 58 of 218
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Of course, as exciting as it would be if it were UR, almost everyone on here is locked out under 5/24 anyway lol
Message 59 of 218
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Including me
Message 60 of 218
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.