Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Unlimited

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom Unlimited

@deltatee wrote:

@Jayb5635 wrote:
In that case it would be an appealing product, no ??? If it's 1.5 UR points with no AF. Then to convert those points to travel we would still need a card like either the CSP or Ink.

If it was 1.5 UR, I think it would be a really appealing general spend card. Although the 5% categories have enormous potential to quickly earn more points. If they are UR points, I'm not actually sure whether the old Freedom or Freedom Unlimited would end up being better for me.  Sometimes the categories aren't super useful, while sometimes they are.

I like to think of it this way, if the card continues as a 1.5x cash back, and offers 1.5x UR points, then it becomes a better deal points wise than the CSP, and becomes a way better deal than the Amex EDP, because you have the same points earning threshold without the EDP's annual fee. We know nothing up to this point about the possibility of that happening though. 

Message 61 of 218
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 3.22.49 PM.pngI know this is silly, but the Freedom Unlimited is what the Freedom should have looked like initially! Much better looking card.Smiley Tongue

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 62 of 218
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

Yep, this is all speculation at this point in time.  Only time will tell what actually happens.  Although, if it is 1.5 UR points, it only becomes more valuable than the CSP and EDP in the event you actually have the CSP because otherwise you wouldn't be able to transfer to travel partners, which is where the true value of UR points come from.  So while the FU might not have an annual fee, to really maximize the points you'd still need to pay the annual fee on the CSP. 

Message 63 of 218
Sharingan
Established Contributor

First of all, the name of this product is absolutely ridiculous if it will, in fact, end up being the name. It is only going to confuse customers and may even cause it to be overlooked due to sharing the same name (relatively) as a card with an entirely different rewards program. Hopefully, Chase has something else in mind to truly give this card a chance to differentiate itself from the rotating category version and cater to the needs of those looking for a solid cash back credit card. 

As for my thoughts on this product, I believe it will likely be a much better and more enticing option than that poorly executed Barclays CashForward card. Unfortunately, I suspect that there's going to be a number of disappointed individuals who may not get an opportunity to have his card for many, many months if it will be held to the same underwriting requirements as the current Chase Freedom. For me, this will be an easy pass as I believe that all 1.5% cash back cards come up short. Finally, Discover has demonstrated that a rotating category card and a 1.5% CB card can co-exist successfully, and it has been clear for quite some time now that Chase has been interested in offering a straight cash back product.

Message 64 of 218
Anonymous
Not applicable

@deltatee wrote:

Yep, this is all speculation at this point in time.  Only time will tell what actually happens.  Although, if it is 1.5 UR points, it only becomes more valuable than the CSP and EDP in the event you actually have the CSP because otherwise you wouldn't be able to transfer to travel partners, which is where the true value of UR points come from.  So while the FU might not have an annual fee, to really maximize the points you'd still need to pay the annual fee on the CSP. 

Really it becomes infinitely more valuable than the EDP, because you have the UR points earning at 1.5x without the 30 swipe minimum, and without the annual fee.  Whereas the now pretty good CSP/Freedom combo becomes unstoppable.  

Message 65 of 218
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
Of course, as exciting as it would be if it were UR, almost everyone on here is locked out under 5/24 anyway lol

I will be for years Smiley Tongue

All kidding aside I would have an excuse to PC my Slate or my CS.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 66 of 218
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Another thought, I wonder if this new card will have the newer design philosophy of having the account number printed on the back rather than embossed on the front, I guess we will find out soon!

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 67 of 218
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@deltatee wrote:

No for the everyday person to maximize the points it to use the card. at 1.5% UR it is still a 1.5% CB card so for everyday purchases this card is good for those everyday purchases. 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 68 of 218
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:
Of course, as exciting as it would be if it were UR, almost everyone on here is locked out under 5/24 anyway lol

I wonder how lenient they will be with PCs to this new product.  I remember when the Discover It Miles card came out, people were reporting that Discover wasn't letting people PC.  

Message 69 of 218
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@deltatee wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I wonder how lenient they will be with PCs to this new product.  I remember when the Discover It Miles card came out, people were reporting that Discover wasn't letting people PC.  

Then I guess ill app and see what happens. 

Message 70 of 218
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.