Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Unlimited

tag
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Chase Freedom Unlimited

The next card i plan to apply for will be the CFU to maximize my point earning with my CSP, however i recently was approved for the Bonvoy Boundless on the 23rd. So, i was originally planning on waiting 90 days for the CFU which would be January 21st at the earliest.

I'm seeing that the $200 SUB is ending on December 3rd. So should i wait to see what the next SUB will be and still plan on applying the end of January, or apply for the CFU on the first of December even though it'll only be 70 days inbetween applications?

|  
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom Unlimited

There is no rules against applying 70 days apart as long as you are below 5/24.

That being said, I don't know if cFU is the best card to get unless you eventually plan to pc csP to csR.

Message 2 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That being said, I don't know if cFU is the best card to get unless you eventually plan to pc csP to csR.

Well, if the plan is to transfer points rather than use through the portal, cFU is as good with CSP as it is with CSR.   (But of course CSR is a much better point earner in its categories)

Message 3 of 15
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The CFU will put me at 5/24, so it'll be my last CC i get for a while. Except maybe the Platinum next year, as i'd like to use it for our honeymoon.

1.5x is better than 1x on spending outside of travel/dining so i figured it'd be the next step. I do plan to PC to CSR when i'm eligible.

The Freedom's 5% categories don't align with my spending so it wouldn't make sense for me.

|  
Message 4 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Your CSP was opened in June, and Boundless in October. I'd slow my roll with them and look past December

Checking for in branch pre-approvals is futile as those tend to linger way past approval for a different Chase card, just like pre-approved offers stay in Just For You for another couple of months, till two departments catch up with each other 

Three Chase cards in less than 5 months may be a a couple too many for their liking 

Message 5 of 15
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Your CSP was opened in June, and Boundless in October. I'd slow my roll with them and look past December

Three Chase cards in less than 5 months may be a a couple too many for their liking 

That's what i was thinking, i don't mind waiting. But also don't wanna miss out on the SUB, which is the only reason i thought about moving up the timeline on the CFU.

I originally planned on the Boundless in December but, again, i wanted that 100k SUB, which is why i went after it this month.

Hopefully they'll introduce a better SUB after December.

This board is a huge help, so thank you everyone for your help and insight! Last thing i want to do is jeapordize my relationship with Chase. I know they can be touchy, and so far they seem to like me because of my spend with them.

|  
Message 6 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@MyFault wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

That's what i was thinking, i don't mind waiting. But also don't wanna miss out on the SUB, which is the only reason i thought about moving up the timeline on the CFU.

I originally planned on the Boundless in December but, again, i wanted that 100k SUB, which is why i went after it this month.

Hopefully they'll introduce a better SUB after December.

I'd wait. I may be overly cautious, but $50.00 difference between SUBs may not be worth losing one or both cards 

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this may not work for everyone. But give it a thought anyway, Smiley Very Happy

cF's 5% category may not fit apparent spending for many of us, but it is possible to buy apple, google, amazon, home depot, lowes, subway, shell, AA, delta, Southwest, uber, gift cards from grocery stores, drug stores, home improvement stores.

I was able to benefit 3 out of 4 categories each year (we spend ~10k each year on amazon, lol, we need to reduce this), which is 4.5k spending on cF, equivalent to 15k spending on cfU.

Message 8 of 15
MyFault
Valued Contributor

I know you can play the game with gift cards however that's just too much work for me. I use my Amex Prime Business card for Amazon, so I wouldn't use the CF for it.
I just want to put my daily bills and non travel/dining on the CFU and let it build points from there. I don't pay for gas, and my grocery spend is too little to make it worth it. Now, if I could get my fiancé into the CF then it'd make sense but she doesn't care about point earning, or playing the game with quarterly categories. She just wants to benefit from mine apparently 😂.

I've tried to get her away from her debit card but it's no use. She burned herself with a bit of credit card debt recently, because she didn't understand how they work, like we all have when were young. So, for the foreseeable future she's going to keep using her debit.

|  
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MyFault wrote:
I know you can play the game with gift cards however that's just too much work for me. I use my Amex Prime Business card for Amazon, so I wouldn't use the CF for it.
If just want to put my daily bills and non travel/dining on the CFU and let it build points from there. I don't pay for gas, and my grocery spend is too little to make it worth it. Now, if I could get my fiancé into the CF then it'd make sense but she doesn't care about point earning. She just wants to benefit from mine apparently 😂.

oh well, take it easy for the sake of relationship! She will come around, one day, on her own schedule!

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.