Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Unlimited?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom Unlimited?

Im looking to get another credit card as my current Discover card isn't always accepted where I want to shop, and I want to increase my credit portfolio as well of course. With my current 746 Fico 8 Transunion score (soon to go up) would I have a hard time being approved for the Freedom Unlimited card and is it a good entry card to get?

I just want a general cashback card, not a card that offers rewards in specific categories. I'm thinking my 2 options are the CFU card or to get a credit card through the credit union I use for my bank account, not sure what the better option is. I do like the $200 cash back if you spend $500 in the first 3 months offer Chase has for the card though. Any advice on this is appreciated and if theres any information I need to include that I forgot let me know.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Unlimited?

I would go with CUs.

I don't have any Chase CCs. Base on what has been reported in here, they don't reduce your APR and CLI is HP... So unless you REALLLLLY want one their cards, they are not easy to grow! But they do have some nice looking cards 😎

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CYBERSAM wrote:

I would go with CUs.

I don't have any Chase CCs. Base on what has been reported in here, they don't reduce your APR and CLI is HP... So unless you REALLLLLY want one their cards, they are not easy to grow! But they do have some nice looking cards 😎

CLIs are super important to me so I think thats a deal breaker haha. I think ill just go with my CU since it has pretty much the same benefits as the chase, same APR and cashback. Im hoping to get a portfolio of cards like you, kinda hard with my current income though lol. I am only 20 though, I have time to work on it!

Message 3 of 7
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Your on to a great start! Eventually you going to want car loan, personal loan and mortgage 😎 CUs are your best friend. Great time to build a relationship with them now.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CYBERSAM wrote:

Your on to a great start! Eventually you going to want car loan, personal loan and mortgage 😎 CUs are your best friend. Great time to build a relationship with them now.

Yeah I have a small $1500 personal loan out right now. Will be easier to build credit once I finish school and get a higher paying job! Im just hoping my lack of history doesnt prevent me from being approved or getting a decently high limit when I apply, will have 2 years of history on my credit as of next month.

Thanks for the advice!

Message 5 of 7
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Im looking to get another credit card as my current Discover card isn't always accepted where I want to shop, and I want to increase my credit portfolio as well of course. With my current 746 Fico 8 Transunion score (soon to go up) would I have a hard time being approved for the Freedom Unlimited card and is it a good entry card to get?

I just want a general cashback card, not a card that offers rewards in specific categories. I'm thinking my 2 options are the CFU card or to get a credit card through the credit union I use for my bank account, not sure what the better option is. I do like the $200 cash back if you spend $500 in the first 3 months offer Chase has for the card though. Any advice on this is appreciated and if theres any information I need to include that I forgot let me know.

Ever thought about the Citi DC? It's a no hassle flat rate 2% cash back card. You would earn better rewards than the CFU, their CLIs can be requested every 6 months and are SP, and the card definitely has the ability to grow over time moreso than your average Chase card. With your score I would certainly think you would have no problem with approval unless you have a BK on file. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 6 of 7
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CYBERSAM wrote:

I would go with CUs.

CLIs are super important to me so I think thats a deal breaker haha. I think ill just go with my CU since it has pretty much the same benefits as the chase, same APR and cashback. Im hoping to get a portfolio of cards like you, kinda hard with my current income though lol. I am only 20 though, I have time to work on it!

What is your CU and the card that you are interested in?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.