Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom Visa Signature

tag
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom Visa Signature

@shinedown87 wrote:
So, has anyone successfully converted a their Freedom to a Visa Signature in less than 13 months?

+1 

I want to convert my Freedom into a siggy.

But from what i've read here some people have a freedom past 5k and are not issued a signature and some cannot convert theirs even past 13 months.

Is there a certain requirement in order to convert into a visa sig, besides the 5k?

My freedom is currently 5k  and i want to convert it in May (13 months). 

Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 21 of 35
searchingfor67
Established Contributor

Maybe others will chime in, but I had to wait 13 mos...

TU FICO: 772 (Discover) • Exp FICO: 772 (Citi)

Amex BCE $13K | Amex Costco TE $10.4K | Amex SPG $5K | Chase Freedom Visa Signature $15K | Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15K | Chase Ink Plus World Elite MC $5K | Citi TY Preferred World MC $10.1K | Citi Forward $10K | Citi Diamond Pref $7.6K | Discover IT $9.9K | JP Morgan Chase Select Visa Signature $9.2K | NFCU CashRew Visa Sig $25K | NFCU LOC $15K | NFL Visa Signature (Saints) $8.1K | USAA Amex $11.3K | USAA World MC $11.5K
Message 22 of 35
Chris77

I just got off the phone with Chase asking to upgrade my Freedom card to Signature.  My limit is $14,700 and I've had the card more than 5 years.  I use it fairly regularly and average around $10,000 annual spending on the card.  Never late on a payment.

The rep put me on hold a minute and came back to say that Visa wouldn't approve the upgrade.  I asked why that might be, and she said she didn't have that information.

My credit score is in the low 700's after a short sale in 2010, but that's the only thing I can think of that would have held me back.

Does Visa enforce minimum FICO requirements for Signature, as well as the CL and account age requirements?  Is it worth appealing the decision with Chase or does Visa have the final say regardless?

Message 23 of 35
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

do you have the 5k limit for 13 months? or just the card?

im about to be at 8 months and was planning on asking for a cli at about a year and a half to match my other cards. (5k) and get the visa siggy, otherwise wont even waste the hardpull.

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 24 of 35
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Chris77 wrote:

Does Visa enforce minimum FICO requirements for Signature, as well as the CL and account age requirements?  Is it worth appealing the decision with Chase or does Visa have the final say regardless?

I don't know about Chase policies, but I got a Visa signature card from another bank with a 720 Experian score just last month. So I don't think you're running into a Visa-imposed score requirement. But I also had no baddies at all on my record unless you count slightly high util.

Message 25 of 35
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

I found it very odd because some are approved for a visa sig right of the bat when they apply and some aren't even if the pass the 5k limit. I heard some not being able to upgrade to the vis sig even after having their cards for years. I wonder if you are suppose to have another card with visa sig before upgrading it. It might help your odds.
Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 26 of 35
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

My father has a 800+ score and a Freedom that has been open since 01 with a 18k limit.  We called a couple of months ago to see if they would convert it to a Siggy and they said no.  He opened a CSP with 80k credit limit so it definitly has nothing to do with credit qualifications.  Maybe there is a spending requirement that no one mentions.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 27 of 35
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

I agree that it has nothing to do with credit score/history specifically. I opened my 2nd CC back in September 2012, a NFCU cashRewards Visa Signature for $25,000. Prior to that I only had one other CC, a Capital One Platinum with a $1,500 CL. My score at the time was mid-high 600's (not sure of exact score). I was (am) making low six figure salary though - maybe it has something to do with that? It is puzzling to say the least.

Starting Scores: myFICO EQ: 678, myFICO TU: 676, myFICO EX: 678 (01/2013)
Latest Scores: myFICO EQ: 789, myFICO TU: 782, myFICO EX: 788
My Wallet: American Express BCE, NFCU cashRewards, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Rewards
Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 28 of 35
Petraeus
Contributor

Does anyone have other backdoors besides the sticky or know of other success stories on this? What I find odd is chase's direct refusal to provide info regarding denials.

FICO® Avg: 732 (11/2013)
Notable CC: AMHFCU® PLATINUM MASTERCARD $25K | Chase Marriott Rewards SigVisa $12K | AmEX PRG NPSL | BoA Cash Rewards Signature® Visa $12K | AmEX BCE $9K | Citi Diamond Preferred $10K | Chase Freedom Signature Visa $5K | BoA Travel Rewards® Signature® Visa $5K
Current Overall CL: $139K | UTL: 18% | AAoA 3yrs | Gardening since 11/26/2013
Future CC: Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature®
Future CLI: AmEX BCE 2/2014 | Fico goal: 760+
Message 29 of 35
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

I'm hopeful that my Freedom will be a Visa Sig. My Sapphire was a Visa Sig. when I received it, so I'm hoping I still meet the criteria they have set for the Sig like I did in Sept. 2012. But who knows, there are more inquires on my account now. I guess we'll see. I'm going to call and ask if my card is going to be Visa Sig because I'm too impatient to wait for the card to come at the end of the week or the beginning of the next week.

-----

EDIT: Just got off the phone with Chase Freedom rep and he said my card is a Visa Sig. I'm very happy about that.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.