cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom card was used to purchase items without my permission.

tag
legacys7
Regular Contributor

Chase Freedom card was used to purchase items without my permission.

I had this card for a few months now. Decided to make a purchase a few days ago for the first time since I got it. I'd ordered an audio system for my television for 250.00 through Polk Audio's website. The next day (yesterday) I get a call from Chase's fraud department. Before I'd called them, I'd checked out my online accounts. Someone spent almost a grand, ordered some tile from a store called, Jason Floors in the State of New York. I got asked a ton of questions from Chase to make sure that they were talking to the owner, which I'd confirmed that it's me. Long story short, they cancelled that card and gave me a new one. From  the looks on my account, they caught it before the transaction was final because it shows, transaction is pending. Talk about, pissed off. I would I knew who made the transaction. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase Freedom card was used to purchase items without my permission.

Glad they caught in time and you were notified of the issue.  You'd be surprised how often this occurs on a daily basis with all CC companies.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase is on the ball for fraud.
Message 3 of 9
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

I have been declined at a store before because Chase's fraud prevention kicked in after some unusual spend patterns on my part. Nothing was fraudulent, but they didn't take any chances. A quick phone call and I was all set check out at the store again. It is a bit of a hassle, but I feel at ease that they are on the ball.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 4 of 9
legacys7
Regular Contributor

@Peteyglad wrote:

I have been declined at a store before because Chase's fraud prevention kicked in after some unusual spend patterns on my part. Nothing was fraudulent, but they didn't take any chances. A quick phone call and I was all set check out at the store again. It is a bit of a hassle, but I feel at ease that they are on the ball.

I agree. Bank of America had done this to me a few months ago. It was me that made the purchase. But yeah, it was cool knowing that they're keeping tabs. 

Message 5 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

I just had a similar situation for my citi card this morning. Received a call from them about a charge made in the state of Ohio, which wasn't by me. They closed the account, and reopened a new one with new account numbers, and is expediting the new card via 1 day air at no charge.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 9
Marcos8
Established Contributor

When this happens and an account is closed and a new one opened with a new account number, how does that affect account age/AAoA etc...?

Message 7 of 9
legacys7
Regular Contributor

@Marcos8 wrote:

When this happens and an account is closed and a new one opened with a new account number, how does that affect account age/AAoA etc...?

For me, Chase stated that the attempt wouldn't affect my account. It's no longer on it. Even if they were able to collect the fees, I'm not held accountable. Damn shame that people do what they do. 

Message 8 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

Depends on how the bank do it. Usually the new account is backdated, and the old account is eventually removed from CR entirely.

Some banks, such as WF, will simply update the CRAs with the new account number, rather than to close and open a new account.

There might also be a "dispute" notation on the account for a few months, especially if there were unauthorized charges that are being disputed. Accounts labelled as in dispute are sometimes taken out of scoring, so AAoA may drop and utilization may go up. It's just a temporary thing though.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.