Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited

@Sharingan wrote:
I will be keeping my original Chase Freedom Visa Signature for as long as I can because the CFU is useless to me, particularly because I no longer use the CSP.

From strictly a cash back perspective, 1.5% may have been great years ago, but it is simply inadequate today. The Citi Double Cash, Fidelity Visa Signature and even Blispay are superior in almost every way for me, although I do prefer Chase over the issuing banks for the aforementioned cards. I would actually take my Discover It Miles card over a CFU because at least it offers something useful in addition to the 1.5 miles/%.

You're arguing over 0.5% difference... when you get down to it.... It's not a huge difference.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

5% is fun and sexy. Just boring ol 1.5 is lame.

Message 12 of 27
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:
I will be keeping my original Chase Freedom Visa Signature for as long as I can because the CFU is useless to me, particularly because I no longer use the CSP.

From strictly a cash back perspective, 1.5% may have been great years ago, but it is simply inadequate today. The Citi Double Cash, Fidelity Visa Signature and even Blispay are superior in almost every way for me, although I do prefer Chase over the issuing banks for the aforementioned cards. I would actually take my Discover It Miles card over a CFU because at least it offers something useful in addition to the 1.5 miles/%.

You're arguing over 0.5% difference... when you get down to it.... It's not a huge difference.

Agreed. Although people tend to argue about DC vs QS (or similar 2% vs 1.5%) the fact is the difference is pretty tiny and you should use whichever you prefer. If you prefer the 1.5% options because of some other reason (maybe you don't want to deal with Citi or Fidelity etc) then that's fine too.

I don't think the Freedom Unlimited is really worth anyone rushing out and getting unless they plan to pair with a CSP. If not, nothing really remarkable about it

Message 13 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I regret upgrading my Slate to FU because now I've missed out on the sign up bonus. 

Message 14 of 27
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

5% is fun and sexy. Just boring ol 1.5 is lame.

The Chase Freedom is NOT a 5% CB card... It is a 5% CB on certain catagories every quarter.... 1.5% CB is way way better for people who want to use one card for general spending on everything from Applebee's to Zappos and everything in between.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 15 of 27
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I regret upgrading my Slate to FU because now I've missed out on the sign up bonus. 

Meh I did it because I am way above the 5/24 rule lol.

Message 16 of 27
Sharingan
Established Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

Let's drop the spin, please. I'm sure you wouldn't have used 1% in your assertion against 5% category cards for single card users in your earlier post.

It's amusing how people here downplay the difference between 1.5% and 2%, but 1% to 1.5% is extremely worthwhile. Ridiculous. 

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't see the point of the FU. I'd much rather do the standard Freedom with the 5% back.

You do realize the FU has 1.5% CB? While it's easy to think 5% > 1.5%, keep in mind that the 5% is only for certain category each quarter and it caps out at $1500. If you have other cards that potentially offer more or comparable to the 1.5%, the FU does not make much sense.

I have the Freedom (and Discover IT) and mainly only use it for the 5% categories. For the people that would only have/get one credit card, the way they view it 1.5% > 1%.

Message 18 of 27
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Sharingan wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Sharingan wrote:

Let's drop the spin, please. I'm sure you wouldn't have used 1% in your assertion against 5% category cards for single card users in your earlier post.

It's amusing how people here downplay the difference between 1.5% and 2%, but 1% to 1.5% is extremely worthwhile. Ridiculous. 

What Spin? Sorry but the truth hurts ... When you get down to it 1 to 2% isn't much better either.... 5% for general spending is great but the Freedom is NOT 5% for general spending but for catagories which can be useless for some people. My Freedom and Discover have been in my SD for a at least a year and only getting use on my Freedom because of Costco. For General spending a 1.5% or 2% CB is better than a Freedom or Discover card .....

Message 19 of 27
driftless
Valued Contributor

I like the rotating categories for Freedom the current calendar is favorable for my spend. I am currently at 5/24 but even when I came out from under it at the end of this year I won't app for FU. While I greatly value UR's I have a QS and want to maintain Cap One as a second bank. Having two 1.5 cards would dilute my spend too much. A lot of great cards mentioned in this thread, it is good to have options.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.