Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Chase: CF, CFU, CSP

Hi there OP,

I have combined your most recent thread on this into this thread that you started last week. Please refrain from posting multi threads on the same subject its not inline with our TOS and it can lead to confusion of the members who are trying to help. I thank you for your understanding on this.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited

I get the impression that the Chase Freedom is slightly higher than Chase Freedom Unlimited. 

I went to do a product change from slate to freedom. I was told that i am only offered the Freedom Unlimited. 

I took it because that is much better than no rewards haha.

My score went up a few points and I didnt even use the card once.

I called again a month later and asked for Freedom again and they granted it. 

On that same phone call they told me I was pre-approved for the CSP. 

Freedom Unlimited seems easier to get. 

YMMV but some food for thought.

Message 12 of 18
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Freedom Unlimited is easier to get because this is the cash back card that Chase wants people to have.  They originally planned for this card to replace the Freedom, but they backed off of that plan when cardholders objected.  It isn’t about the underwriting; it’s about Chase losing money when people get the Freedom and use it solely for the 5% categories and then transfer the points to CSP or CSR to increase their earning to 7.5%.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 13 of 18
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

Freedom Unlimited is easier to get because this is the cash back card that Chase wants people to have.  They originally planned for this card to replace the Freedom, but they backed off of that plan when cardholders objected.  It isn’t about the underwriting; it’s about Chase losing money when people get the Freedom and use it solely for the 5% categories and then transfer the points to CSP or CSR to increase their earning to 7.5%.

LOL that is all i use my freedom for is those 5% categories , who wants 1x ur or 1% cash back :-)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 14 of 18
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Underwriting on these two cards is identical.

I applied for both of these on the same HP. Both approved with identical limits and APRs.

Message 15 of 18
Gratitude
Regular Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Underwriting on these two cards is identical.

I applied for both of these on the same HP. Both approved with identical limits and APRs.

Awesome!    Do you recall what was your AAoA, CL and UTL when you app'd for CF & CFU? 

Amex Plat | Amex EDP $24,000 | Citi BestBuy Visa $11,000 | Chase Freedom $7500 | Discover IT $7500 | Amex BCE $5,000 | Merrick Bank Visa $2000 | Alliant SSL
Starting Score: Fico 8: EQ 721 TU 742 EX 736
Current Score: Fico 8: EQ 746 TU 764 EX 756
Goal Score: Fico 8: EQ 750+ TU 760 EX 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 16 of 18
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

At the time the only card account on my reports was my Synovus Visa which I’d had for 9 months and had a $1K CL. I always kept until under 10% even with that low limit. I did have a couple of fresh inquiries though since I’d gotten approvals for QS and BCE a week earlier. They pulled EQ and EX and my scores were north of 750. I applied for them a day apart (within 24 hours) and they combined pulls.

Both Freedom and FU were approved with $19,800 SL and 21.24% APR. Since then I took $5K from the FU to get the IHG card approved on recon.
Message 17 of 18
Gratitude
Regular Contributor

Wow... $1K CL with only 9months of payment @ 10% or less UTL... and you got BCE approved? Nice!
Then combined SL of over $19K on CF & CFU??  ...you are giving me hope!! I'm burning to app right now

As for the Installment vs CC to finance the camper,  If CC both CF & CFU give 0% APR for first 15 months..  It will be paid off before that duration. Plus CF 5% up to $1500 (2st qtr only)... 

Any ideas on the best cominations for cards to apply for if not these two? Or should I focus on CC only for this purcahse and shoot for 3 cards? If so, which cards give the highest SL to someone with my score & UTL?

FICO: EU 721    TU 746    EX 731

• Merrick Bank Secured Visa ($1500) - approved January 2016  
  • BestBuy Visa ($3000) - approved April 2017

Amex Plat | Amex EDP $24,000 | Citi BestBuy Visa $11,000 | Chase Freedom $7500 | Discover IT $7500 | Amex BCE $5,000 | Merrick Bank Visa $2000 | Alliant SSL
Starting Score: Fico 8: EQ 721 TU 742 EX 736
Current Score: Fico 8: EQ 746 TU 764 EX 756
Goal Score: Fico 8: EQ 750+ TU 760 EX 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.