Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Freedom or Unlimited

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom or Unlimited

I currently have Paypal Credit limit $1750, Amazon Store Card limit $430, Cap1 QuickSilver limit $500, NFCU cashRewards limit $4000, NFCU More Rewards limit $2000, MilitaryStar limit $1475, Amex Blue Cash Everyday limit $1200. My FICO scores are TU 704, EQ 692, EX 677. My longest length of history is NFCU cashRewards 7 years, 2mo. My shortest is PayPal Credit at 1 year, 11mo. I'm extremely interested on getting my first Chase card. I've applied in the past and always got denied due to short credit history and high balances. I've now been very responsible and only have 2% utilization. Which Chase card do y'all recommend to get? Freedom or Unlimited? Do y'all think I can qualify for it now? I have a business account with them as well as a personal with funds. Would love to get a Visa Signature with the Freedom. What do y'all suggest I do? Or do y'all recommend another card?

19 REPLIES 19
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Chase Freedom or Unlimited

I think best odds with CFU. Are you under 5/24? How long ago did you do last app with Chase? The low limits might be an issue, but not always.

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I am under 5/24 rule. The last time I applied was April 2018. I've considered asking for CLI on my cards, not sure if it's the right move.

Message 3 of 20
blindambition
Senior Contributor

You should ask for CLI on cards that would be SP. Larger CL can help get larger limits with new cards you apply for.

I say your odds are good. No cards for 2 years.

Message 4 of 20
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

You should ask for CLI on cards that would be SP. Larger CL can help get larger limits with new cards you apply for.

I say your odds are good. No cards for 2 years.

Agreed with @blindambition    NFCU is no longer Hard Pull Happy?

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm tempted to ask for a CLI with Cap1 QuickSilver since they do SP, at least that's what I heard. I was on the phone with NFCU few days ago and I asked about their CLI and the rep said they do HP if I ask, but I've read that it's a SP if I do it online. Maybe if I accomplish getting CLI with SP, I'll wait for that to post, then apply for CFU.

Message 6 of 20
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm tempted to ask for a CLI with Cap1 QuickSilver since they do SP, at least that's what I heard. I was on the phone with NFCU few days ago and I asked about their CLI and the rep said they do HP if I ask, but I've read that it's a SP if I do it online. Maybe if I accomplish getting CLI with SP, I'll wait for that to post, then apply for CFU.

Do it online. Navy CLI has been SP with data points. However, always expect a HP!

Good luck. May the odds be ever in your favor!

ETA make sure it's been at least 180 days from last CLI.

Message 7 of 20
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous  I have to ask about the negatives on your CR and if they are recent

For someone who has decent length of credit history, those are fairly low(ish) limits

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only negatives are a Discover charge off from back in Jan 2018 that was settled for less than full balance. And also a 90 late payment to my Cap1 Quicksilver also early 2018. That's the only Negatives. 6 inquiries that are falling off in April 2020.

Message 9 of 20
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I think you're in an excellent position to apply for a Chase card now. Have you tried to see if you prequalify? If your utilization is low now, is there something else keeping your scores down? I'm surprised they're not higher. Do you have any late payments or other negatives on your reports?

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.